• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi! Pregnant with Aspie Partner

Esse808

Hi Everyone! My name is Esse and I'm so happy to find this forum. I'd really like to know more about Asperger's and hear about experiences from Aspies and their loved ones. I believe it will help me a great deal. In advance, please forgive my ignorance on this subject because I still have a lot to learn.

I am NT and I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years. We started out as friends first and became a couple a year later. I am currently 8 months pregnant with our first child...a boy. We're both very excited, my boyfriend especially. Well, a few months ago I happened to be randomly reading something about Autism and found some information about Asperger's. I had heard of Asperger's but knew nothing about it and did not know anyone who claimed to be. As I read more about Aspergers, I was IN SHOCK that most of the characteristics fit my boyfriend to a T. Suddenly his subtle little peculiarities made sense to me and it was like a big light came on. I almost felt crazy for not noticing or suspecting anything but really, who would? To most people, these characteristics would be described as "quirks", "eccentricities", or maybe even "character flaws", nothing that out of the ordinary. In any case, I am pretty much 100% sure my boyfriend has Aspergers.

Since this epiphany, I've debated on whether to tell him what I've discovered. Part of me feels that I really should share this with him, that suddenly everything will make sense for him too. Then there's the part of me that worries that this will contribute to his frequent negative feelings about himself. He can be so down on himself and on life, and knowing that he is Aspie can either take a weight off his shoulders or make him feel like he is permanently scarred for life. Or he may dismiss it altogether. He told me he was diagnosed as ADHD when he was a teen. He never took meds and didn't believe the diagnosis. I wish I knew how to approach him about this subject.

Our relationship is wonderful and loving most of the time and also sometimes rocky. I am his first serious and lasting relationship. All of his exes dumped him quickly, as he can be a bit "intense" at times. I am a strong female, a little older than him, and I don't take sh_t from anyone, including him. During rough times (aka his Aspie meltdowns), I make it clear that I will walk before I put up with any of his nonsense. These Aspie meltdowns are what I want to learn most about. They are baffling to me and I want to learn how best to deal with them and diffuse them quickly. Other than his occasional meltdowns, I love everything else about him. Even the things about him that sometimes drives me crazy.

I also hope to learn more about how Aspie men handle fatherhood. I understand there is a chance that my son may take after his father and in that case, I want to be prepared.

Thank you for taking time to read this. I look forward to learning and sharing on this forum!

Welcome Esse808!

Firstly, congratulations on the upcoming birth of your son. This must be a very exciting time for the both of you. As for approaching him with what you've discovered, you might want to wait until after the birth of the baby & until you are settled into a comfortable routine together. The addition of a baby is wonderful but it is also demanding, exhausting, trying & expensive so tossing Asperger's at him right now may just be an emotional curve-ball that the timing is less than ideal for.

There are Aspie guys who make excellent fathers. A member here, RubenX, truly goes above & beyond for his kids & is a truly caring engaged & sensitive father. His kids are fortunate to have him. Some of the other guys here would do well to never have children. I'm an Aspie as is my husband (we have 2 young adult kids) & he is an excellent father too. He's less objective & patient than I am but he more than makes up for that in many other ways.

Hi!!!! Nice to meet you. Welcome to AC! I hope we can help you to understand. Meltdowns can be intense but they are also something to understand in that they are usually caused by stress and frustration. :)

Hi Soup and Arashi!

Thank you for your responses. I have some quiet time to myself so I'm going to read alot of the posts on here and see what I can learn. I am encouraged by the fact that my bf was excited about becoming a father, so he is already approaching this with a positive mindset. Quite surprising since he is negative about so much else. lol My bf had a distant and uneasy relationship with his own father (who I suspect may be Aspie), so he is looking forward to being a more hands on father to his own son. I agree with you Arashi about the meltdowns being brought on by stress and frustration and I know I don't help it much sometimes because when he gets like that, it is so baffling to me it is hard for me to stifle my disbelief, which makes him feel like I'm ridiculing him. They don't happen very often but I definitely want to learn how to cope and help him cope with those meltdowns so our son doesn't have to bear witness to them. Oh I have so much to learn! :) Thanks again for the welcome!

Hi Esse808. Welcome to the forum, I am just new myself! I'm also a NT and my partner and I are looking to have kids in the next couple of years. I'll be very interested to hear how you travel. My partner is already telling me what I can and can't eat when it happens! lol I can't imagine what he'll be like when I'm actually pregnant. He'll know more about it all then I will I suspect!

I am also still learning but I agree that you should wait to talk to him about Aspergers. You're about to pop and that will give him a whole bunch of new stressors that he's not used to dealing with. But the fact that you suspect gives you a leg up on how best to go about any melt downs etc and know it's probably not because of you that he adopts that tone and he doesn't really mean what he's saying - it just comes out and he can't stop it.

Maybe wait until the baby has established a pattern and you're both getting some sleep and then see a professional first on your own and get their guidance. For my partner it was a big relief to know why he was the way he was. But I suspect everyone would handle it differently.

New Threads

Top Bottom