• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I'm Kirk

Kirk

56 year old male living in Washington State, diagnosed (?) approximately 6 years ago in the midst of a 10-year long Depression/Anxiety meltdown, which now has me awaiting a decision from Social Security on my future method of sustenance. Not working since 2/14 after working 31 jobs over a period of 40+ years. My life has been one long exercise in avoiding detection, not asking for help or showing any other "signs of weakness." This has resulted in a lack of documentation of my situation, and I may end up starting at square one again therapy-wise. The topics featured in the newsletter have been very interesting, and I find the subjects very relevant to my reality, and for this I am thankful. I hope I can be a functional and active member of the group, and avoid monologues, hehe.

Welcome Kirk

You'll soon find that many of us can relate to your situation. I hope that you are able to feel comfortable enough here to be your true self :)

Welcome to AC Kirk!
I'm sure the people here are going to like you, we also have some members who are around your age!

It's certain that there won't be any monologues ;)

Welcome :)
You will fit in here just fine :)
Everyone here has a story, some have happy ones and others have sad stories. Some cope well and others need strategies to cope with daily life. Social interaction and expectations can be hard. We are all individuals and unique that's what makes us who we are.
So welcome :)

Welcome here,
Those who do not fit in, fit in well here. Everyone has a place here, including me. This is a safe place where we can find out so much about ourselves, and about Aspergers. We are helpful and honest. Feel free to talk or ask, which ever you choose, information and answers come easy.

56 year old male living in Washington State, diagnosed (?) approximately 6 years ago in the midst of a 10-year long Depression/Anxiety meltdown, which now has me awaiting a decision from Social Security on my future method of sustenance. Not working since 2/14 after working 31 jobs over a period of 40+ years. My life has been one long exercise in avoiding detection, not asking for help or showing any other "signs of weakness." This has resulted in a lack of documentation of my situation, and I may end up starting at square one again therapy-wise. The topics featured in the newsletter have been very interesting, and I find the subjects very relevant to my reality, and for this I am thankful. I hope I can be a functional and active member of the group, and avoid monologues, hehe.

Welcome Kirk

Sounds like we've been through some similar stuff. I can relate, and we're all here for you. I'll resist writing another novel-length post, but if you'd like to chat more I'm here.

Kassie

Kassie certainly loves us according to tapa talk! She gave hearts to most of us :p

Ok, Sander :tonguewink:

I couldn't let that one go by without a 'Like'!! It's just my way of saying I agree, I hear you, I can relate … just kinda my own shorthand.

It wasn't that long ago when I got my first 'Like' & I got SO EXCITED! The screen said 'Somebody likes you' & I got so giddy I posted the screenshot here, while bouncing around like Steve Martin in The Jerk … "I'm somebody! I'm somebody!" If I can make someone else feel like that with just one tap or click, why wouldn't I?

Ok, Sander :tonguewink:

I couldn't let that one go by without a 'Like'!! It's just my way of saying I agree, I hear you, I can relate … just kinda my own shorthand.

It wasn't that long ago when I got my first 'Like' & I got SO EXCITED! The screen said 'Somebody likes you' & I got so giddy I posted the screenshot here, while bouncing around like Steve Martin in The Jerk … "I'm somebody! I'm somebody!" If I can make someone else feel like that with just one tap or click, why wouldn't I?
I had that same feeling you described I was so happy, because someone liked me :D. The funny part is, in the tapatalk app the likes show up as hearts. And yes, I use the likes in the same way you do!

Welcome To AC :)
You will find it pleasant and helpful to be here

Thanks all for the welcomes, and I already relate to many of you based upon the shared feelings and experiences shared here. I am an infrequent but appreciative member, and I truly enjoy the time I have had to spend catching up on existing threads.

Welcome Kirk

You'll soon find that many of us can relate to your situation. I hope that you are able to feel comfortable enough here to be your true self :)
Thanks Vanilla. Interestingly enough, as the facade of my life has crumbled over the last decade, (though a better life is rising from the rubble,) I have made a rather shocking discovery about myself. I have no developed, seasoned self: some very early trauma or judgement gave me cause to monitor and analyze my every interaction with the world at large, lest I be guilty of some half-effort. So now, as I wait for SSI to deem me whatever, I am sorting through my self, separating the real behaviors from the hard-wired part of this joyride.

Welcome :)
You will fit in here just fine :)
Everyone here has a story, some have happy ones and others have sad stories. Some cope well and others need strategies to cope with daily life. Social interaction and expectations can be hard. We are all individuals and unique that's what makes us who we are.
So welcome :)

Thanks arthousesalem. I am baffled by how I managed to get through the last 40 years, since my "dancing skills" have abandoned me since I began the real self discovery part of my life AD (After Diagnosis). I would love to go back to work, but I can no longer keep my mouth shut, my disdain hidden, in other words, I'm even more warm and fuzzy (NOT) than ever! Oh well, I guess there's always the lottery :D

Hello and welcome and sorry to hear about your situation, I have had over 40 different jobs myself and know how stressful that in itself can be.

Thanks arthousesalem. I am baffled by how I managed to get through the last 40 years, since my "dancing skills" have abandoned me since I began the real self discovery part of my life AD (After Diagnosis). I would love to go back to work, but I can no longer keep my mouth shut, my disdain hidden, in other words, I'm even more warm and fuzzy (NOT) than ever! Oh well, I guess there's always the lottery :D

The same thing has happened to me … "They broke my Give-A-S#!t!" I'm not sure if it happened after my AspieEpiphany or if it contributed to it, but that doesn't really matter anymore. My "dancing skills" were never good enough to get by in this world, and it hurt me deeply to even try. Now I resent anyone who expects me to be phony for their benefit, since no one's ever been willing to do that for me.

Lucky for both of us we found a place where we don't have to anymore!! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom