• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I am Aunt Fel

Aunt Fel

lovemyfamily
My nephew was diagnosed with autism shortly after age 2, he is now a 12 year old mind set in a 20 year old mans body. My nephews mother is a wonderful person. She has been my best friend for 32 years, there isn't anything this woman wouldn't do for her children however she also suffers from mental health issues. This is where I come in. I have studied up on a lot of information concerning my nephews dilemma. I am seeking advice with the important decision I am being forced to handle. His mother due to her disabilities is unable to teach my nephew the necessary life skills he needs. I have been suggesting for the last 5 years that she needs to send him off to Roosevelt's Warm Springs vocational rehabilitation institute once he graduates. For those of you who are not familiar with warm springs ( it is a facility in Meriweather county ga not far from home) My nephew doesn't want to go however I feel with the opportunities this facility has to offer it is in his best interest! How would anyone of you handle this situation would you send him or not send him and please tell me the reason you chose the way you did

Welcome :)

I've moved your thread to the "Parenting" section, so that you may receive more views, of this post, and will be more likely to receive replies.

I suppose it would depend on what challenges he faces, and what he may be set to gain from investing time in a 'rehabilitation' program. And then it would depend on if he agreed to participate, and if he would even meets the requirements to obtain a referral to said program (based on the information available on their website, anyway).

If you can provide more information people may be more willing to weigh in with their opinions.

My nephew will be 20 this year and he still has the mind set of a 12 year old. Outside of video games and the crap his grandmother allows him to watch on tv. he is unaware of the world around him. He knows nothing about paying bills or even where groceries come from. I am able to get him the referral to go to Warm Springs. This place will teach him how to live on his own. I feel in my heart this is the best possible solution.

I think you may be underestimating him (claiming he doesn't even know where groceries come from?) - 12 year olds tend to have some awareness. Many on the autism spectrum can lag in emotional and mental/social maturity, and many struggle with executive function and things.

Have his abilities been evaluated? Has he had any other kind of support or assistance in gaining skills he will need to function as an adult? Has anybody tried to teach him these things?

You may feel it is the best option, but you are not the only one in the situation, and you will not be the one attending a 'rehab' program. It may be the best option, but there are probably a lot of avenues that could be exhausted before sending a child off. I don't know if any other methods have been tried.

Apologies if any of this is irrelevant or misinformed, but you have provided little information.

You say he's going to graduate. That doesn't sound like a mind of a twelve year old to me.
As he is an adult, one can hardly now force him to go anywhere he doesn't want to unless you can prove he is unsound mentally and gain guardianship/power of attorney. You would need to gently and respectfully give him a good case for what benefits he will get out of it.

Last edited:
If all he needs is to learn 'life skills' like cooking and laundry, there's no need to send him to an institution for that. If his parents are unable to teach him, extended family are the ideal people to help out. Teach him yourself at his house, or have him over for the weekend. Much better option than an institution.

Aunt Fel, I understand your dilemma & it is a common one for families with autistic children who age out of the government funded programs for autistic children. The autistic student is often permitted to attend public school until age 21 when they are 'graduated', but more accurately aged out. The next step is sending them to a taxpayer funded (or possibly private or insurance paid) group home.

I am not familiar with the vocational rehab facility you mentioned, but one of the obvious issues for most families is simply how to provide the nearly 24/7 care or companionship that a nonverbal or severely autistic person may need. The easiest option is 'transitioning' the 21 year old from public school (& school provided aides) to a group home. I would think it's a tortuous position for any family to find themselves, & a potentially traumatic relocation for the individual - especially if they are unable to communicate.

As others mentioned above, you haven't yet provided enough details about your nephew, like what is his current level of abilities, say around the home. For instance, can he make himself a sandwich? If not, has he never been in the kitchen or seen a sandwich being made - or does he not have the fine motor skills to actually do so? How advanced or not is his ability to communicate? Also, what type & level of education is or was he receiving at school? Was he in special ed classes or mainstreamed? Did he receive the standard ABA training, or not?

You say his mother is not able to teach him life skills, but most public schools provide some vocational and life skills training.

Very importantly, what would be the goal or hoped for outcome from placing him at the subject facility; & what would be the expected time frame? (A year, six months, etc ..?) Would it be a permanent placement or a temporary living situation? If temporary, are you envisioning that he would learn & competently master basic life skills so that he would eventually be able to live independently (i.e.; alone)? Or upon completion would he return to the family home, or instead move to some kind of group home?

Is the goal for him to eventually obtain some kind of vocational job, or would he receive disability?

You write that he does not want to go? How do you know that? And in other words, how did he communicate or make that known?

Likewise, what would he like to do instead? Of course if he hopes to instead live at home, play video games all day & be waited on 24/7 by his Mom, well, wouldn't we all, lol! But that's not a viable alternative. If he thinks it is he is unrealistic, immature & selfish ... despite his autism.

I have a very bright & capable, non autistic 16 year old nephew who would like to spend his days playing video games & being waited on 24/7 by Mom. He is also unrealistic & immature (plus lazy, although a good kid!). He got that way from being coddled & spoiled. His parents are working on undoing that & yes it's difficult. The point is that some problems are universal, & not unconquerable. I am of the personal belief that anyone over the age of 12 with even half a brain can start to understand how life works if it's articulately explained & the consequences are experienced first hand.

Does he also know that even if he was able to remain at home, play games all day & be waited on ... eventually his Mom & Grandmother would pass away from old age & at that point he would be homeless ... living very uncomfortably on the streets with NO ONE doing anything for him. Within one day he would be quite hungry & cold.

So anyway, what are his other options (if any) besides the subject rehab facility?

Also, has he ever been exposed to any kind of Facilitated Communication or the tools used for same?

Hopefully my inquiries will help to initiate a positive & useful discussion. Meanwhile I applaud your love & concern for your nephew!

Aunt Fel

happy-birthday-with-your-family.png

New Threads

Top Bottom