• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey ummmm you

Turk

Sometimes my anxiety, borders on the ridiculous. Quite often when I meet someone new, for whatever reason, I won't hear their name properly. Sometimes it because im anxious, and other times, I just miss it. This is when things start getting wierd. Instead of just asking for their name again, I just clam up, and make my best attempt to wing it. The longer I leave this situation, the more disrespectful it becomes, to ask their name again. Ive now trapped myself between misunderstanding and deception. If its a work situation, I might see this person a few times a week. Every time I see them it's like " Hey ummm you " . So like some half crazed stalker, I find myself hoping, someone else, will drop their name. The anxiety has now tripled, over what it would of been, if I re asked, in the first place. Ive hit rock bottom, when im shoving my wife through a shop door, rather than having to do an introduction of someone, whose name im supposed to know. Seriously its the most ridiculous scenario, which seems to catch me out, on quite a few occasions. Im hoping this is something others can relate to, otherwise im probably going to need more therapy.

While I don't really face too many issues with anxiety, this is an issue I have. I struggle to remember names; memory seems to work fine, until someone drops a name; then my brain becomes a sieve. Either that, or the person speaks too softly, or has a thick accent, and I end up having to pretend I've heard them (somehow, asking more than 2-3 times seems rude).

There's nothing worse, than them saying hey, and remembering your name, and you having to reply with an obvious attempt to hide the fact that you've forgotten their name. I know all to well about having to wait for others to also drop their name. I get paranoid sometimes, and wonder if they may drop a false name, which will lead me to look like a greater fool :p

Yes I am the same way. I never remember names. Like in a meeting I too often eagerly wait for someone else to drop the person's name.

I almost never address a person by their name. Even people I am close to. I usually just say or hi or how's it going to get their attention first. It just feels so weird and wrong to do so. For some reason the only exception is my daughter, I have absolutely no problem or qualm or anything there. Could be because she is more like me than anyone I know.

I'm the same way too.

Curiously, I have nothing special to say about this. I don't really need to know their names I guess. My only social interactions are with my direct co-workers. I have nothing outside work. Even at the archery club, I don't need to know their names. As long as I'm shooting better than them it keeps me happy.

I had a roommate for five months (same house, different rooms actually) and I went most of the five months with no idea what her name was.

You're normal. This is what happened to me this week: I went into work for this skills day thing we had to do. I sat down at the table for restraints and this woman who's also a nurse just started talking to me like she had known me for years and even called me by name. I was thinking, "Do I know this person? I must cause she used my name. Crap, I'm not wearing my name tag either so she really does know me!" I hate when that happens - a person knows me, but I don't remember a thing about them. I just acted like I knew her and moved on with life. Since she knew me, it wouldn't be right to say, "And where is it that I know you from?" What a mess.

Also, after a long shift I forget people's names that I've worked with for 10 yrs. My co-workers are getting used to me saying , "You know who I'm talking about, what's her face." Maybe I'm getting Alzheimers, but if I am I won't remember that I have it so that's good..

I am so bad at remembering new people's names that I'm sure I am well on my way to it becoming a bit of a phobia. As it is at the moment, I hardly bother listening to introductions because I know the names won't stick - a self-fulfilling prophesy?!

I met someone I knew in an unfamiliar location, and just stared at him because I had no idea who he was! It was a bit embarrassing.

I do this too, and it reminds me that maybe business cards do have a useful purpose, lol. I think I get caught up in so many other sensory sources of information, and my brain filters them in a certain way that processes out of sync to a degree. As someone dominant in visual-spatial thinking, as opposed to auditory-sequential processing, I can usually remember a lot easier if I see it in print (although that's no guarantee either depending on level of distraction at the time, and other variables). But through sound, eek, especially if there is a strong accent like Vanilla mentioned.

I find myself wishing I was a police officer so I could whip out the notebook and go with the 'state your name for the record, ma'am, spell it out letter by letter please'. :D

*edit- but there's also the strange fact that I can pick up on and recall lyrics quite easily. Hmm.

Last edited:
I have the same issue.... Though because of my job we have to write down everything that happens, so I just ask "how's your name spelt?" Goes a bit wrong when they say "J O H N" then give me a weird look...

New Threads

Top Bottom