• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey there :)

newgirl

Hey everyone,
I'm 17 and still at school (I'm in my final year), and all my life doctors have told me that I have extreme anxiety. I did go for an IQ examination (a proper one conducted by a phyciatrist). And it's said that my verbal skills/intelligence was within the top 1% of other people my age and so was my 'thinking speed' (I know that sounds a tad off). Anyways, they think that I have anxiety due to my extreme reactions towards limitations imposed (such as those imposed by my parents) and my inability to calmly sit an exam. Aspergers was first suggested as a potential diagnosis by my mum, when I identified that it was 'the turning papers and the sounds of other students' which heightened my anxiety in exams. Mum did a bit of research and "was astounded" by how much "I fit the bill".
These were some of the things she noted:
  • My inability to often empathise with others
  • How I acted as a child - "you were like a mini lawyer" she told me, apparently I even wrote contracts for my parents to sign and was "extremely good at arguing"
  • I often overheat/I am very sensitive to heat (I don't really know how that would point to Aspergers..)
  • I hate being touched - friends of my parents used to joke about how I would give them the 'cold shoulder' and my own friends tease me by hugging me, touching me etc
  • I can be extremely extroverted yet also introverted (I'm having trouble understanding this one)
  • I don't pick up others emotions and what is sometimes appropriate/inappropriate - this one has affected me the most as I've been yelled at my teachers and people think that I'm an idiot
So yeah, I'm not saying that I definitely do have Aspergers, but if anyone can relate to some of the things mentioned above and give me some advice it would be really helpful.

Hi I'm 17 too! I was just diagnosed last year, so I definitely understand what you're going through.

For me I am also extroverted until I get overwhelmed. After six hours at school... I'm exhausted. I think I am naturally extroverted but become introverted due to my autism--eg when someone makes a nasty comment to me when I'm just enjoying myself. I have difficulty with volume control and I'm working on it because I can definitely see how it's a pain to those around me, but teenagers can be so cruel!

Wow I'm re-reading this and I connect a lot with what you're saying. I love to debate on a subject I know a lot about. I have no trouble finding my words. With regular social interaction though, I'm always terrified of coming off as rude or insincere. It's really hard to gauge other people because I don't naturally look for cues. Heck when I'm talking to someone I have to be reminded to face my body towards them, let alone look at them.

For me, I have a lack of cognitive empathy but high affective empathy, meaning I cannot tell what a person is feeling just by communicating with them (if they're mad at me or happy), but I can deeply empathize with a person who I know is going through a tough time (bullying, loss of a loved one).

If you still have access to a professional, I'd definitely recommend pursuing a diagnosis if your level of impairment is interfering with your every day life.

Hey Kristyn,
I'm shocked with the volume control issues social interactions and the empathy thing - I have the same problems and completely overlooked them. Thanks so much for reaching out - so relieved to know that I'm not alone!

Hello, Newgirl.

I am quite a bit older than yourself and yet, can relate very much.

Anyway, out of all the forums online, I have found this forum is something very special and certainly not static and therefore, you have arrived in a good place.

I always thought I was an introvert, since people frighten me, but discovered that I am a bit of both actually. Because I want to be around people, but get too exhausted and need to be on my own.

I am an unofficial apsie, but hope to get a formal diagnoses for social anxiety.

• I often overheat/I am very sensitive to heat (I don't really know how that would point to Aspergers..)
  • I hate being touched - friends of my parents used to joke about how I would give them the 'cold shoulder' and my own friends tease me by hugging me, touching me etc
  • I can be extremely extroverted yet also introverted (I'm having trouble understanding this one)
  • I don't pick up others emotions and what is sometimes appropriate/inappropriate - this one has affected me the most as I've been yelled at my teachers and people think that I'm an idiot
I definitely have all of these. By extroverted and introverted do you mean that you want to go out and enjoy social interactions, but when you actually do go out, you start to get anxious and can't interact with people properly, so then you prefer to stay away from large groups? That's always been my feelings towards it.
Anyway, nice to meet you.

Hi and welcome to AC! :) I can definitely relate to everything you've noted, I hope you enjoy your time here and find the answers you're looking for.

Welcome to AC! I am glad you mentioned a sensitivity to heat. If I get hot and thirsty I become extremely irritable. I have never seen it officially aasociated with AS, but it makes sense. I also feel both introverted and extroverted.

Being out of touch with emotions, including not empathizing, is a hallmark of AS. Sensitivity to touch is also very common.

Hi!! Welcome!!! I can relate to sensitivity to temperatures. I'm the annoying person in the car who constantly adjusts the temperature. I'm also quite a chatty and happy person and like being around people, but also very introverted. It seems contradictory, but it's not.

hi newgirl,welcome to AC,it doesnt matter that you dont have a label here,if you can relate to any of our issues its good enough for us.

also happy birthday to Jasmine14 i dont think ive seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

New Threads

Top Bottom