• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help understanding shutdowns

marc_101

V.I.P Member
I need help understanding shutdowns. I keep reading that shutdowns are a manifestations of anxiety. But I do not feel anxious at all when I have a shutdown. Maybe a bit just before. I feel tired and I feel that I would like to disappear and be by myself, but I don't feel anxiety.

I'm not sure if the issue is a) my body is anxious but I can't recognize the feeling, which in general applies to me or b) a shutdown is more literally the body just going into no-feel zone.

Thanks!

I need help understanding shutdowns. I keep reading that shutdowns are a manifestations of anxiety. But I do not feel anxious at all when I have a shutdown. Maybe a bit just before. I feel tired and I feel that I would like to disappear and be by myself, but I don't feel anxiety.

I'm not sure if the issue is a) my body is anxious but I can't recognize the feeling, which in general applies to me or b) a shutdown is more literally the body just going into no-feel zone.

Thanks!
Good observations.
(1) You might not be interpreting your physical and emotional state as anxiety. If you are one of the many of us that have varying degrees of alexithymia, this may be why. However, if you checked your heart rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure, your body might be saying something otherwise.
(2) Anxiety is not the only reason for a "shutdown" (internalizing state) or a "meltdown (externalizing state). Sometimes it is a manifestation of being overwhelmed by sensory or emotional stimuli. Sometimes it is a slow build-up over hours, days, or weeks usually described as mental exhaustion or "burnout", sometimes it happens rather quickly due to the intensity of the stimuli. Sometimes, it's conscious or subconscious fear that triggers these episodes.
(3) The internalizing state (shutdown) is a mechanism to protect the body and mind. It's a stress response. It can start as "avoidance behaviors" such as finding ways to avoid people and social situations, needing frequent time alone in a quiet room, needing more sleep, napping during the day, etc. It can then progress to rarely talking, quiet spoken voice, little eye contact, regression of cognitive skills, regression of fine motor skills, even mutism. There may be a desire to feel nothing and become "numb" simply as a way to escape. Some adults look to alcohol and drugs to help them achieve that state, and obviously, this can be a dangerous situation. Some adults find it just "too much" to deal with the workplace. Children can be found in that stereotypical pose of sitting in a corner, facing the wall, perhaps rocking, eyes closed, covering their ears, just trying their best to shut the world out. Adults are often more in control of their emotional states and are more likely to exhibit internalizing behaviors.
(4) The externalizing state (meltdown) is when the stimuli is to the point where your internal "pop off valve" has reached it's threshold and "the gates of Hell are opened" and people just "loose it". Everything that had been bottled up inside is now on full display, crying, screaming, etc. As an adult with more emotional control, meltdowns are less common, but with children, this can be a common phenomenon.

Last edited:
Here is link for those who learning why burn out isn't a melt down and vica vers.
In detail describes burn out symptoms and why term may be more correct that PTSD to describe you experiences and feelings.

Thanks!
Information coming in at too high a rate - or too high an intensity - to process can cause shutdown. You can't handle it, so you literally shut down. Kind of like how a buffer overflow on a PC causes a crash. It doesn't have to be related to anxiety, but intense emotion contributes to it.

Another way to look at it is a traffic jam. There are too many vehicles, so the traffic comes to a standstill, and on-ramps are closed. Strong emotion can be thought of as a wreck on the freeway that greatly reduces the ability of traffic to flow.

I agree with those above who noted that anxiety is not the only feeling that can lead to shut down. It is more a sense of overwhelm which can occur with myriad feelings. I can even shutdown after experiencing too many positive things (excitement, gratitude, inspiration, elation).

I experience shutdowns as a protective reaction as @Neonatal RRT explained above. Too much input causes a malfunction in my brain and a shutdown is the result. The input is typically sensory or social for me. A shutdown most often occurs with fatigue, overexposure to sights, sounds, and smells, or after prolonged social stimuli (like going to work or having to be friendly with multiple people in a day).

Information coming in at too high a rate - or too high an intensity - to process can cause shutdown.
I think what @Au Naturel said here pretty much sums up my experience with shutting down. In this way, shutting down actually gives me the chance to finish the processing and eventually get back to functioning well. Shut down is not a pleasant experience, but a necessary and purposeful one for me.

Thank you all. Shutdowns are still a puzzle to me. I'll try to be more observant next time it happens.
Better yet. Be self-aware enough to recognize the signs and symptoms of an impending shutdown and learn how to stop it before it happens.

Maybe not all shutdowns are driven by anxiety. I sometimes feel like I am just too tired to interact with others - like I only have so much mental capacity and it's not always enough.

@Nervous Rex Yes, fatigue. That's for sure the sensation I can identify in every shutdown. I want to crawl under a table, cover my ears, close my eyes, and take a nap. A blanket and noise canceling headphones would be nice, too, thank you very much. My cat or dog joining is highly appreciated. :)

...and I guess we need to distinguish between a shutdown and a meltdown. For me, meltdowns are 100% related to anxiety or being overwhelmed.

It's like I'm a lithium battery. I meltdown when I overheat and shut down when I'm drained.

Last edited:
Sorry , I wish I could help. But this week I had one of the worst shut downs I have had in about 12 years.

Was told if I don’t get it together, I have to go to the psychiatric ward. So I have to figure out how to be NT for a bit .

I can’t articulate why they happen all of the sudden.

New Threads

Top Bottom