• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello! =)

HopefulMom

I am new to this forum, but have been searching for somewhere to ask a few questions, and maybe read a little more about what could be going on with my little guy. I am hoping there is no judgement here, as I asked some questions on another site, and was shocked to see the responses that I got, but I am determined to get to the bottom of what's going on with my baby boy so that I can help him the best way possible.

I am the mother of a wonderfully eccentric, energetic, intelligent 6 year old. He has been diagnosed with ADHD officially, but other things have been thrown into the mix recently. SPD, anxiety, OCD, disruptive behavior disorder, ODD, severe emotional disturbance. I may even be missing a few.

From the beginning, we have always seen him as "strong willed, and stubborn" and we always knew there was something different about him. The real issues began when he started kindergarten last year. We knew he was hyperactive, and they would probably have a hard time getting him to sit in one place, but naturally thought, what 5 year old boy sits at a desk and follows directions all day, 5 days a week? It was more serious than that. I won't get into the entire school experience, as that is a big, long story in itself, but it ended with my surprisingly sweet, smart, happy little boy being suspended 26 times throughout the school year, and reccommended to attend a theraputic program next year, rather than returning to "normal" public school.

There is alot to his story, and hopefully, I will have the opportunity to get more into detail later on. What has me desperate for answers, or even just an exchange in messages with someone experienced in this subject, is that I don't believe that my child has ADHD, nor do I believe that he has an entire list of issues to be labeled with. But at the same time, my son is hyperactive, he does have anxiety, he is sensative to light, sound, hot, cold, doesn't like the wind, doesn't like specific smells or materials (not just a dislike, but meltdown worthy contempt) he does not like people touching him (not to say he isn't affectionate, he's a hugger, on his own terms, but bump into him in a line, and it all breaks loose) He does show signs of OCD, he walks on lines, things need to be a certain way, he obsesses over specific subjects and items, he is very easily frustrated. He can be defiant, but there is a catch to that one. What I have always tried to explain to teachers, his case manager etc, is that his defiance stems from the other party's inability to logically explain a reason why he cannot or should not do something. He is not defiant, just for the sake of being defiant. He doesn't argue for the sake of arguing. He genuinely does not understand certain things, unless it is explained to him with extreme logic. If your reason is "because I said so, or because those are the rules" you will have a fight on your hands. Unfortunately, most people don't have the patience to deal with that, and the result is defiance and frustration. If it does not make sense to him, he will not listen.

So in short (yeah, I'm past that point) He does, in a way, show signs of all the things listed above, but I whole heartedly feel that there is something else going on, and it isn't ADHD (which he is on medication for, another story) I feel that my questions, and concerns are falling on deaf ears with everyone that is supposed to be helping with him. I'm reaching out, so if anyone would like to respond with any questions, suggestions, or personal opinions, I do welcome an open minded, and respectful discussion.

Welcome! We have an entire section devoted to parenting, which I hope you will find useful, and many members (on and off the spectrum) who are parents themselves who I don't doubt will have some insight to offer.

Also, we have a Resources section, which lists books that many of us have found helpful. A few of them are aimed at parents raising children on the autism spectrum. Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I'm no doctor, but it does sound like your son could be autistic. Take a look at the resources Wyverary's linked, and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I'm sure you can find an appropriate means of helping your child. You obviously love him very much, and that's the best starting point. :)

I'm no expert, but he sounds pretty textbook to me, either autism or Aspergers. I only know what I read, but the things you're describing are some of the big characteristics of Aspergers, possibly on the deep end (is it possible to be different 'degrees' of Aspergers? This is something I'd like to know myself, if anyone has any views). He's also very lucky to have a mother as caring as you, who's willing to go the distance to learn why he is as he is, rather than writing him off as a bad egg, as too many do. So thank you for that. :) I'm sorry you met with negativity in other places.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, responses, and for your link to resources, and advice on the parenting forum. I reposted this on that forum as that's probably the more appropriate place for it.

Welcome to AC!
I'm sure that you will find some answers here with the help of all the nice people here! :D
I'm sure your son is a great child.

Welcome to the site! Wow, your son sounds a lot like me at that age. He is lucky to have parents who recognize it and act on it.

Hello and Welcome!! :)
I think that maybe you should place him a private school... I know that in my school district they do have schools with classrooms for kids that have similar behaviors as your son. Maybe a school with smaller class sizes. And there are also public cyber schools (not homeschool) that have almost complete "freedom" (no lines!).

Hope this helped!

Oh yeah, you could also get him an IEP plan... I have one, it makes school life way easier.

New Threads

Top Bottom