• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

Hokulea

I was formally diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder back in August (2023).

Which wasn't that big of a surprise for me as it had been suspected by people for years, though I think the biggest surprise or realization from going through the diagnosis/assessment process is finding out that I don't understand emotions as well as I'd assumed.

I was diagnosed a few months ago, at 39. In the past I've misread emotions, to my detriment. I think generally I can read emotions okay (although that's a self-assessment and might not be correct). Sometimes I overthink though, read too much into things. Some people say that autistic people don't have empathy, but I don't think that applies to me.

I've been on this forum for a few days, it's good. You get plenty of response.

Welcome! Alexithymia?
I might have traits/signs of Alexithymia. Particularly in regard to identifying and describing; emotions and feelings. But not so much the few dreams or fantasies and restricted imagination side of things.

1712275380736.png

Welcome and greetings, @Hokulea

Glad to have you with us. I'm a fellow Alexithymic, myself. Still trying to figure the emotions thing out. But hey. We all funtion at our own speeds.

See you around the forum. And if you have any questions about anything. Don't be afraid to ask.

hello @Hokulea
welcome to the forums.My reaction to what you said about lack of emotions was alexithymia which I see has already been mentioned.

BTW the search function here is not bad s

New Threads

Top Bottom