• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

Jason Swartz

I'm 36 years old. I was adopted at 6 months old with my half-sister. My adopted family wanted a girl, and after waiting 2 years to adopt, decided to take me as well as my half-sister. 1 year later at 18 months, my half-sister was taken away and a 2 year court battle insued with no answer as to why they would break up our family.

I was told all of this when I was 5. Having 2 childhood losses in the first 18 months left me with serious abandonment issues that were not helped by my adopted family. They gave me tough love and still stand by their decision. I was told I was "sick" and "mentally ill". I was put in counseling before I was in kindergarten, and Ritalin by 2nd grade.

I was given back to the state at 13 and spent the next 5 years in residential.

I made it on my own(not working) until the age of 25, where my parents began paying my rent and bills. They have given me money almost every week since, coming down on me for not being able to support myself. They demanded of me I get in thererapy to get better, but what I discovered was more than I can handle.

My adopted mother has never talked to me, and when I try to talk to her, she gets aggitated and mean with me. I have explained to her how wrong it was for them to neglect me, and that she was dealing with a loss, thus not her fault. She attests to this day that she was perfect and I was a bad child.

I've tried to explain to her that parents are responsible for how their children turn out. She does not understand how this is even possible.

My adopted brother has Aspergers as well, as he has never apologized to anyone either. My adopted father however does not have it. He had a stroke 8 years ago and is not in possession of all of his faculties. That means my abusive mother controls what he thinks.

I attempted suicide last year after speaking to my adopted mother, in which I suffered a fractured and dislocated spine(still waiting to see if I can get surgery...) she says that Jesus died so she can go to heaven and not feel bad about her sins.

She already has her mind made up about me and there is never anything I can say to change her mind by getting to know who I am.

I am really going out of my mind after discovering that I was a neglected child. All the signs are there, no fine motor skills, impaired social interactions(due to attachment disorder), impaired education(dyslexia and dyscalculia). My adopyed parents are high school teachers. They also had me convinced until just recently that I was a bad child.

I do not know how to deal with them. You adopt a child because you want to give them more love, not tough love and never resolving punishments. I had to figure it all out myself while they insist I knew what I was doing as a child.

5 years of residential, 1 year of hospitalizations where they told them I was schizophrenic(I'm not) and a childhood where I wasn't even taught how to wipe my butt or brush my teeth before I go to the dentist. I can not live this lie anymore, they are withholding money and medication from me now unless I admit I was a bad kid and they are perfect. I would go make my own money if I didn't have my back pain after my suicide attempt last year in February.

I do not know how to deal with this situation. I'm sure that nobody has had the same circumstances as I have, but could offer their experiences to help me see new options without having to admit I was the one who destroyed their family and they played no part in it.

upload_2017-5-15_15-4-11.png

The only things I can think to say right now are:
Have you considered applying for SSI? It's, of course, a bit of an annoying process but easier than many government things. I used it to help myself out (my mom is abusive as well). They have an application online. It takes several months.

Your situation has some resemblance to the combined experience of me and my husband. I'm an NT and he's on the spectrum. He has lived in and been sent to group homes by his family and was also mistakenly labeled as schizophrenic early on. His mother was schizophrenic, and since he didn't know how to relate to the world, he tried acting like her for a while.

If it is any comfort, I think the majority of all parents are unable to love their children in the way that they deserve. But your circumstances certainly seem difficult. There should be a way for you find autonomy from your mother, if that is what you need.

Hello!

I have not been in your situation in any sense. I'm very lucky in this sense. I'm not sure if I can offer any advice for this. I know what these certain people can be like, they won't budge for anything. All I can say is look for help from the state if you can.

Having to grit your teeth and saying something was all your fault when it wasn't is painful and very unfair. I can think of quite a few words for this woman. Don't give her an inch.

giphy (11).gif

The only things I can think to say right now are:
Have you considered applying for SSI? It's, of course, a bit of an annoying process but easier than many government things. I used it to help myself out (my mom is abusive as well). They have an application online. It takes several months.

Your situation has some resemblance to the combined experience of me and my husband. I'm an NT and he's on the spectrum. He has lived in and been sent to group homes by his family and was also mistakenly labeled as schizophrenic early on. His mother was schizophrenic, and since he didn't know how to relate to the world, he tried acting like her for a while.

If it is any comfort, I think the majority of all parents are unable to love their children in the way that they deserve. But your circumstances certainly seem difficult. There should be a way for you find autonomy from your mother, if that is what you need.

I have applied for SSI once before and am applying again. I went through a year of vocational rehab prior to getting an attorney. My adopted father never paid into social security so there are 0 work credits for my case. I currently have 5 months since I applied.

It's a waiting game with no answers. Waiting and trusting the government, no thanks....

I have applied for SSI once before and am applying again. I went through a year of vocational rehab prior to getting an attorney. My adopted father never paid into social security so there are 0 work credits for my case. I currently have 5 months since I applied.

It's a waiting game with no answers. Waiting and trusting the government, no thanks....

I get that. Have to agree with Southern Discomfort that sometimes your survival depends on saying you are wrong and they are right when it isn't true. It can feel pretty bad. I did it for many years. But if your adoptive parents will still pay for your food/shelter elsewhere, it can give you a place for a while. And you can enjoy not being directly under her weight.

After that, who knows how your path will unfold. I lived with my mother (mostly) til I was 26. Then too close to her even with my husband and kids til last year...just couldn't get away and kept having to lie that I thought she was a decent person. My life isn't perfect now of course. Anyway, when I lived with her I found small joys in hanging with my dog or buying my own wine and drinking on her front porch in the evenings before she got home lol...ok rambling

Your experiences are heart wrenching.
It is not your fault your adoptive parents treat you this way. You do not have to allow it to continue. Remind yourself that it is their issue and not yours. That will be the difficult part as we are all conditioned to believe the negative.
It's unclear what rights they have to your money if you are an adult other than they have you deemed mentally unfit?
Have you considered legal aid?

New Threads

Top Bottom