• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, your honest feedback desired

Hello. New to the board. I'm a 54 yr. Old Male, and while not diagnosed, I suspect I have some Aspie traits. If I have aspergers, I think I must be a high functioning one, or something. I'll give some scenarios & thoughts and would appreciate feedback.

My entire life I've felt like I've been on an emotional rollercoaster. Struggle with irritability & depression. Very shy growing up. Difficulty making friends and have had many awkward social moments I've been diagnosed with stage 1, central sleep apnea, but when I attended a recent Aspie meeting, the moderator mentioned difficulty getting to sleep and I thought, boy, is that me in a big way. My mind is always going 800mph. When doctor asked me why I stopped breathing, I told him that I couldn't hear myself think while breathing. He said he'd never heard that one before. Also, don't enjoy or see the purpose in small talk. Seems like a waste of time. I feel like my openness scares people. My opinion is that most people in the world wear a mask, and seem to put a lot of effort into trying to fool the world into thinking they are someone or something they are not. That seems disingenuous to me and a huge waste of time. However, being totally open and honest seems to scare people and hence they avoid you and treat you like an outcast. So, I'm very lonely, wanting friends, but not really sure how to make them. Relationships are a minefield strewn with questions along each step of the path designed to weed out the misfits. And I'm real adept at finding them. I've told people my natural gift seems to be pissing people off, but its not my intention. And yet, I'm despised by many and avoided by others. I can't figure out if I'm a bit paranoid, or extremely acute at picking up on facial expressions & body language. When I'm at the store and the checkout person asks, how are you?, one response I give is you don't really care, or I'll bet you say that to all the customers. So part of me thinks they are the weird ones. Actors in a play, taking on characters they choose to be seen as. One time in college, I was introduced to a girl named, Barry. My response was, how'd you get stuck with a name like that. Gasps were in Abundance after that little piece of blunt honesty. They saw it as rude though, but I didn't really think I was being rude, just honest. I've learned, over time to try to think about the impact my words will have but that's pretty draining, having to be so on-guard all the time. I figure it's just easier to isolate myself, then I don't have to worry about offending anyone. I actually enjoy one on one conversations about meaningful things but getting someone into one of them is very rare, it seems. My wife has her own issues where she can't seem to get past factual info, like talking about work day. So again, no connection there, with the one I'd really like a connection with. I wonder how 2 aspies would get along? Is it instant connection, or a train wreck. Anyway typing this on my phone and getting tired. Any symptoms and/or links would also be appreciated.

Welcome to the board. I'll leave a gift for you to think about: how would you define the difference between honesty and judgment? Between honesty and opinion?

A thoughtful answer should get you well-started on a thread I think many would appreciate.

Again, welcome!

Hi & Welcome,
You can try several different free online self tests for autism. What you described doesn't give me a strong enough impression to say either way.

You have found an understanding and informative forum. You should checkout the resource section which is quite extensive. Welcome and good luck!

I can relate to what you experience. I feel the same way about small talk, cashiers and other service personnel asking me how I am doing. It is what their job demands they do, they don't really care how I feel.

Were we differ is that I know what you know about how "normals" interact socially and, I apply what I know to myself when the situation requires me to do so. So when the cashier asks me how I am doing, I reply with a scripted answer that I have heard many "normals" use "Oh, fine." I don't add the "and you?" question "normals often add because I don't care how the cashier is doing. He/she is there to do a job and, how he/she is feeling does not matter so long as he/she totals up and, bags my purchases.

You are fortunate to have the option to isolate yourself. I have my solitude and privacy now but, for much of my life that was not possible. I had a very public career. I had to appear to be perfect to the world and, the world loved the image I gave them but, that was a facade, an act, just playing my part, letting them think I was exactly what they expected me to be. It wasn't me but, that didn't matter to the world and, it kept my career going. That was more important than anything personal that might be going on with me.

Welcome! Even if you are not "officially" on the spectrum, we are happy to have on anybody who shares some of our traits, troubles, insecurities, what have you. I hope you can find this a safe place and find some answers. :)

wyv

Welcome!

I took the aspie tests and couldn't figure out why I ended up in the NT category. Until my daughter got diagnosed with PDD-NOS which fits me too. So you can be on the spectrum and not be an aspie. Let us know what you find :)

Hi, Mark.

Welcome to AC! :)

Below are links to the three most popular self-tests. The first two have been developed by researchers via "proper" evidence-based methods. The third was developed by Leif Ekblad, a controversial lay investigator who believes that Asperger's is associated with Neanderthal DNA, but some people find the test (and his work) interesting.

RAADS-R

AQ Test

Ekblad RDOS

You might also want to check out our resources section for books, etc. on the subject.

Enjoy!

When I'm at the store and the checkout person asks, how are you?, one response I give is you don't really care, or I'll bet you say that to all the customers. So part of me thinks they are the weird ones.
When I first entered the work force I would invariable end up in service positions. I knew it was common courtesy to say things like, "have a nice day", or, "enjoy the show", so I went along with it. I tried to make each one matter. I would come up with a different phrase for each customer; "You guys have a great time","Enjoy the movie!","Have a blast!", but eventually I ran out of ideas. Then my repertoire began to shrink, until eventually it was simply, "Enjoy the show. Enjoy the show. Enjoy the show." It lost all meaning, and I was disturbed by this. I felt guilty and sick about it and kind of resented being in that position.

Common platitudes carry the same effect for me. If somebody tells me that someone they know has died, for example, I don't know how to respond. Convention dictates that I should say something like, "Sorry for your loss.", but this phrase, being such a cliche and automatic response utterly impoverish it of gravity. I then struggle for words that convey the profundity of what has just occurred, while also expressing my sincere hope that they heal from their loss. But how does one do this without sounding pretentious? I think I have managed it in the past, but it was never easy. The fact that I never actually feel a sense of sorrow in these instances compounds the matter. I may feel some concern for the well being of my friend or acquaintance, but cannot bring myself to actually care about the person they lost, though I bear a kind of universal love for all of humanity.

Speaking of "love", that is an other word I do not take lightly, at least when applying it in romantic context. I find it especially hard to reciprocate when somebody else says they love me. To say it back, even if I mean it, just feels cheep. The word is too easy, too light for such a heavy meaning. Surely there must be some other combination of word that can truly express what I feel. On the other hand; should I not feel as strongly as my partner there is still that implicit pressure to say I do anyway, or risk the deterioration of an otherwise pleasant relationship.

I find that most social courtesies come easier as I get older. I tell people to "Have a good day.", and I actually mean it. I do hope they have a good day. But then I generally hope that everyone has a good day, so it is true weather I know the person or not. Ultimately such phrases serve to as a means of initiating and terminating social interaction while simultaneously strengthening one's social position by affecting a caring persona. I do care about the people I interact with, so for me this is not dishonesty, though it might be slightly manipulative.

Hi welcome to the forum. I hope you'll like it here.

However I have to be honest and say I did not read a thing you wrote. It was a basic wall of text, as unscaleable as the Ice Wall at Castle Black.

Paragraphing and line spaces are your friend.

Sorry to give off a negative vibe, its nothing personal.
I do the same to everyone. ;)

Hi welcome to the forum. I hope you'll like it here.

However I have to be honest and say I did not read a thing you wrote. It was a basic wall of text, as unscaleable as the Ice Wall at Castle Black.

Paragraphing and line spaces are your friend.

Sorry to give off a negative vibe, its nothing personal.
I do the same to everyone. ;)

Mark August, StephF has given you a gift--although the wrapping may seem harsh. I persisted, because I'm hyperlexic, and something about how you write kept me reading despite it.

StephF's points are true, though. I can tell you that if you do edit your post and add paragraphs, I will reread it and I will certainly get more from it. If you need help, PM me (click Start Conversation under my avatar if you want to do this).

peace & may things be well with you,

Aspergirl4hire

Hello. New to the board. I'm a 54 yr. Old Male, and while not diagnosed, I suspect I have some Aspie traits. If I have aspergers, I think I must be a high functioning one, or something. I'll give some scenarios & thoughts and would appreciate feedback.

My entire life I've felt like I've been on an emotional rollercoaster. Struggle with irritability & depression. Very shy growing up. Difficulty making friends and have had many awkward social moments I've been diagnosed with stage 1, central sleep apnea, but when I attended a recent Aspie meeting, the moderator mentioned difficulty getting to sleep and I thought, boy, is that me in a big way. My mind is always going 800mph. When doctor asked me why I stopped breathing, I told him that I couldn't hear myself think while breathing. He said he'd never heard that one before. Also, don't enjoy or see the purpose in small talk. Seems like a waste of time. I feel like my openness scares people. My opinion is that most people in the world wear a mask, and seem to put a lot of effort into trying to fool the world into thinking they are someone or something they are not. That seems disingenuous to me and a huge waste of time. However, being totally open and honest seems to scare people and hence they avoid you and treat you like an outcast. So, I'm very lonely, wanting friends, but not really sure how to make them. Relationships are a minefield strewn with questions along each step of the path designed to weed out the misfits. And I'm real adept at finding them. I've told people my natural gift seems to be pissing people off, but its not my intention. And yet, I'm despised by many and avoided by others. I can't figure out if I'm a bit paranoid, or extremely acute at picking up on facial expressions & body language. When I'm at the store and the checkout person asks, how are you?, one response I give is you don't really care, or I'll bet you say that to all the customers. So part of me thinks they are the weird ones. Actors in a play, taking on characters they choose to be seen as. One time in college, I was introduced to a girl named, Barry. My response was, how'd you get stuck with a name like that. Gasps were in Abundance after that little piece of blunt honesty. They saw it as rude though, but I didn't really think I was being rude, just honest. I've learned, over time to try to think about the impact my words will have but that's pretty draining, having to be so on-guard all the time. I figure it's just easier to isolate myself, then I don't have to worry about offending anyone. I actually enjoy one on one conversations about meaningful things but getting someone into one of them is very rare, it seems. My wife has her own issues where she can't seem to get past factual info, like talking about work day. So again, no connection there, with the one I'd really like a connection with. I wonder how 2 aspies would get along? Is it instant connection, or a train wreck. Anyway typing this on my phone and getting tired. Any symptoms and/or links would also be appreciated.
I took one of the online Aspie tests and graded out as borderline Aspie. I think 31 or higher was Aspergers and I scored a 29.

I can hold eye contact OK.

I can do the smalltalk thing but try to move them into more meaningful topics if they last any amount of time. Where I may be offending people is trying to move off of meaninglessness conversation too quickly.

I cannot tell easily when people are kidding or not. If they don't give any facial clues, I'm left wondering. I've learned that I need to ask for clarification, but don't always do that. What I find happening is that people ascribe motives to things I say it do without seeking clarification from me. They simply assume 'normal' people say certain kinds of things so this person(me) must not be 'normal' and thence avoid me thereafter. It's a lonely and frustrating existence. Anyway, as I sad earlier, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I must? Also, i know my irritability thing plays a big part. Who wants to be around grumpy anyway.

Part of my issues are that I discovered(on my own-yeah for me) that I have lived with gluten sensitivity my whole life, so avoiding the gluten, gairy & sugar has helped a lot. Only into the gluten avoidance about 120 days now but noticed huge difference within the first week.

Anyway, glad to be part of the board, and hope to continue to learn & help, if and when I can.

Mark August, StephF has given you a gift--although the wrapping may seem harsh. I persisted, because I'm hyperlexic, and something about how you write kept me reading despite it.

StephF's points are true, though. I can tell you that if you do edit your post and add paragraphs, I will reread it and I will certainly get more from it. If you need help, PM me (click Start Conversation under my avatar if you want to do this).

peace & may things be well with you,

Aspergirl4hire
Hyperlexic. Now there's a word you don't see everyday. I had to look it up. I'll admit, writing isn't my strong suit. I admire talent wherever I find it [emoji1] .

New Threads

Top Bottom