• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, from an Openly Autistic Catholic Priest

AutisticPriest

Fr. Matthew P. Schneider, LC
Hello. I just found this. I had posted a few times on Wrong Planet and other autism forums like /r/aspergers and several Facebook groups.

I'm a pretty well-known Catholic priest who made it public I was autistic in 2019 and am writing a book on prayer for autistics.

Hello. I just found this. I had posted a few times on Wrong Planet and other autism forums like /r/aspergers and several Facebook groups.

I'm a pretty well-known Catholic priest who made it public I was autistic in 2019 and am writing a book on prayer for autistics.
Interesting. I mostly feel God has forsaken those who need him most. Complicated. I would like to believe otherwise, but the pain I have seen makes me quite unable to feel a God of love . I started to notice that people who were plugged in had their prayers answered a lot more than those who had nothing. But I am not closed off. Just noticing a trend that is disturbing.

That said, I am glad you are here. Maybe you can help us make sense of things and I don't want you to think I am being rude! :)

Interesting. I mostly feel God has forsaken those who need him most. Complicated. I would like to believe otherwise, but the pain I have seen makes me quite unable to feel a God of love . I started to notice that people who were plugged in had their prayers answered a lot more than those who had nothing. But I am not closed off. Just noticing a trend that is disturbing.

That said, I am glad you are here. Maybe you can help us make sense of things and I don't want you to think I am being rude! :)

If you're interested in the subject you've mentioned, I recommend reading "The Problem of Pain" by C.S. Lewis!

Woah interesting. I could use a spiritual mentor/bible scholar at times. See ya in the restricted discussions area?

Welcome to the community Father, as a 'lost' Catholic girl i hope you enjoy it here, the lost catholic girl was mostly a fib.

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here. I read your blog about prudence being needed in the reintroduction of people to live church services after/during covid 19, you made good points.

There was also a good blog by a woman who was gay, she made some very good points, good to see a gay Catholic can speak up in America.

Welcome Father Matthew

Looking forward to getting to know you.
Faith and autism is something I struggle with myself as a recently diagnosed in my 66th year.

I have looked at a few things on your blog and look forward to reading more there

Last edited:
Welcome! How is prayer different for autistic people?

I think there a number of different things. We struggle with theory of the DVINE mind not just theory of human minds. We tend to stim when most think of stillness as a proper prayer posture. We have certain struggles we might pray about. Our memory and emotions tend to work a little different. Etc. I hope that is a good starting place.

Hello, Father Matthew. Welcome aboard.

If you don't mind my asking, were you diagnosed before your ordination? I had a great-uncle who wanted to become a priest but couldn't because he was epileptic. Is autism a disqualifying condition?

Hello, Father Matthew. Welcome aboard.

If you don't mind my asking, were you diagnosed before your ordination? I had a great-uncle who wanted to become a priest but couldn't because he was epileptic. Is autism a disqualifying condition?

I was diagnosed after I failed as a school chaplain as I wasn't reading kids' faces well. Several have been diagnosed before ordination though.

With a vocation like the priesthood, there is always the question of being able to live the lifestyle and do some priestly ministry as part of the discernment process for entering. If someone is autistic, that should be brought up in the application process so that is investigated. Not long after my diagnosis I switched to doing a doctoral thesis (now) and becoming a theology professor (2021 or 2022), as given I'm a smart but autistic priest, that is probably the best way that skillset can work in priestly ministry. I have worked a bit with a few guys discerning the priesthood or in formation: I don't think it is an absolute block, but some autistics would be unable due to their support needs or certain manifestations that significantly impede ministry.

New Threads

Top Bottom