• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Heah, everyone.

HipToHFA

I'm the parent of a 12 year old son. My husband and I have always known our son thought and behaved different from other kids his age. We have struggled with the public school system since pre-kindergarten. He is highly intelligent, easily bored, and does not share the same social skills as his classmates (weekly trips to the principal's office for us). He and I are both exhausted and frustrated with trying to shove his square peg into a round hole. He loves to learn, but hates the classroom; loves to be around other kids, but doesn't interact at an age-appropriate level. I want to do what's best for him. Any support out there would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and Welcome!
I remember realizing my son was turning out HFA just like me. I can't say there is any one methodology for dealing with it, because the variation is just way too large with individuals. If it is autism, anything you and your husband can do to come up to speed on how HFA manifests itself, knowing what is due to autism and what is just personality/emotional, etc, will be helpful.
That said it may or may not be autism that is influencing your son's behavior. I don't get a strong feeling one way or another from what you describe. Has he ever been evaluated my a medical or couseling professional?

Welcome aboard!
I hope you find some ways to make things easier. I struggled in similar ways until high school, you have my sympathy for your difficulties. Best wishes
image.jpg

Hi and Welcome!
I remember realizing my son was turning out HFA just like me. I can't say there is any one methodology for dealing with it, because the variation is just way too large with individuals. If it is autism, anything you and your husband can do to come up to speed on how HFA manifests itself, knowing what is due to autism and what is just personality/emotional, etc, will be helpful.
That said it may or may not be autism that is influencing your son's behavior. I don't get a strong feeling one way or another from what you describe. Has he ever been evaluated my a medical or couseling professional?
Michael was given a psycho-educational and psychological assessment in the third grade. The official diagnosis was: Chronic Motor Tic Disorder; Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified; Developmental Coordination Disorder; Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Combined Type; Disruptive Behavioural Disorder; and Impulse Control Disorder. He presented with some Autism symptoms and Autism Spectrum Disorder. I know Michael is different, but we love him, quirks and all! I don't want him forced into an educational system that doesn't have the ability to educate HIM according to his needs. BTW, our local school is rated 9th in the state, and are exceptional, caring educators. But let's face it, they just can't get it right.

Does he have a one on one adult assistant? With what you describe he may need one. I know it has something to do with your districts rules and also perhaps your health care policy. There are also classes for special needs kids only. There are different designations like Life Skills, Emotional Support, Austistic and Dual Diagnosis. Perhaps contact your district to see what is available and what he qualifies for. Another possibility is Homeschooling but that is a big step for the parent who is going to do it.

New Threads

Top Bottom