• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having too much stuff

Keith

I feel like I have too much stuff. However, I also feel I'm wasting money. I have all these DVD sets I've acquired over the years, but many of them I've never even touched. I have many video games I hardly play. All this is mostly a result of having so much stuff. I enjoy all my games and DVDs, but there are so many I like that they just pile up. I actually feel better when I get rid of stuff (although I've been an obsessive deleter for years).

I feel like I have too much stuff. However, I also feel I'm wasting money. I have all these DVD sets I've acquired over the years, but many of them I've never even touched. I have many video games I hardly play. All this is mostly a result of having so much stuff. I enjoy all my games and DVDs, but there are so many I like that they just pile up. I actually feel better when I get rid of stuff (although I've been an obsessive deleter for years).

Yeah, me too. Although I continue to do a lot of lamenting later over what I so easily purge from my life.

But for me there is a practical aspect to it all. Being a renter, few apartments here tend to have a lot of storage space. I really can't afford to accumulate things in general beyond what I really need. A few years ago I moved from an apartment with far more closets...so I had to get creative about storage, apart from throwing more things out.

I still live with my parents for health reasons, so my money comes from them mostly. I'm 29, so I have to remind myself that I have up to 71 years left to watch all the DVDs.

I tend to collect things so have accumulated quite a bit of "stuff." I'm not really attached to things though, so I often have purges where I donate a lot of things. I would probably be in a better financial situation if I didn't buy things just to have them as part of a collection that I do nothing with. I have over 250 games on Steam, 90% of which I have never played :| At least those are digital files though and don't take up physical space! Unfortunately the things that do take up space can get really cluttered because I get depressed and can't be bothered to clean up. Sigh.

Probably a good time to stop acquiring more items. For a while I thought I had a similar problem until I realized I don't have as much of a problem to part ways with things, so I sell off things don't need anymore (though it really depends on what one can sell, some stuff just doesn't find buyers anymore). And the fact that I've cluttered my bedroom with stuff because that's the only room I live in... kinda puts it in perspective. I have too much stuff for a single bedroom, but if I had a house I'd probably be short of things, lol. The house would just look empty.

The worst I've noticed about "wasting" money is that in the past few months I haven't been buying anything new, or at least no big amounts, yet at the end of the month I'm still broke. Instead of physical stuff, I ended up ordering pizza more often or do groceries without really worrying about money and such, so the end result is still the same... which makes me wonder if I'm not better off just buying physical things I want, since they'll probably provide me pleasure for more than that short period of eating (a few hours later I've probably forgotten it, opposed to owning physical things, like say... tabletop wargaming miniatures).

I have over 250 games on Steam, 90% of which I have never played :|

Don't worry, that seems to be the norm nowadays, lol.

I do have a fare amount of game consoles from the 1970's to 2010. For me I'm collecting. But sometimes I think do I really need to collect all of these consoles? I did put my collecting on hold when I lost my job November 2013.

I look at it this way. As long you pay all your bills first, then what you do with the rest of your money is your own business. However, it is recommend to try to put some money away in savings each month.

Those things are expensive, but I want ALL THE MINIS!!! :O

Hahah... nope, I'll just take the ones that I need for gaming purposes and in some cases, just ones that I feel I can do justice in painting.

But as with many wargamers, I also tend to end up with way too many wargaming armies on a shelf or box, just because "I think I might like them as well". And for the ample amount of gaming I do, I really own too many miniatures. However, unlike most wargamers, 95% of my stuff is painted, lol

I have heaps of CDs and not so much DVDs, but still quite a few. I've just joined Spotify which means I'm getting rid of all my CDs which is great all round. I hate clutter and like a minimal decor. Plus it's the new year and I've just turned 30, so out with the old and live more simply. :)

I do have a fare amount of game consoles from the 1970's to 2010. For me I'm collecting. But sometimes I think do I really need to collect all of these consoles? I did put my collecting on hold when I lost my job November 2013.

I have a bunch of different consoles too. I play a lot of games emulated on my Wii, but it's just not the same as hooking up the original console and holding the original controller in your hands. Which consoles I have hooked up depends on what kind of mood I'm in, but my favorite is probably my original, white PC Engine. Now that is a sleek, sexy machine and ya gotta love those little cards the games come on. The fact that Japanese PC Engine games are less expensive than American Turbografx games is nice too.

I might have accumulated more stuff by now if I didn't have a long waiting period before buying things of interest. Turns out that in most cases I don't really want the item after all. Except for books, I'm pretty impulsive when buying second-hand books.

I have a bunch of different consoles too. I play a lot of games emulated on my Wii, but it's just not the same as hooking up the original console and holding the original controller in your hands. Which consoles I have hooked up depends on what kind of mood I'm in, but my favorite is probably my original, white PC Engine. Now that is a sleek, sexy machine and ya gotta love those little cards the games come on. The fact that Japanese PC Engine games are less expensive than American Turbografx games is nice too.
Yup I know which is why I prefer the original consoles. I wonder what there where thinking making Turbografx with one controller port?

I know, right? At least on the PC Engine it made sense since it's so small, but the Turbografx is twice as big. No excuse.

I keep forgetting.

Most of my games are:

Arcade style (Pac Man, Space Invaders, etc)
Puzzle (Tetris, Dr. Mario, etc)
No save file (Most pre-N64 era games)
Sports

Most of my DVDs are shows I watched regularly as a kid, so I only have them for the nostalgia. I have a few where I've never seen the show before so I should probably work on those right now.

I should also remember that these should be purely for entertainment and not treated as an assignment.

What are things... ? Aside from books and old things from childhood, my home is mostly bare.

Scared of winding up with clutter, I guess. Too much stuff just detracts from life in some cases.

New Threads

Top Bottom