• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever had a person as a special interest?

Thank you, Maelstrom! I was friends with this particular person for nearly two years. I had to end the friendship (long story) but still tend to feel badly about it. I am feeling a bit better today,hope it lasts!

Hi garnetflower13 Was it that dreaded social boundaries thing. I get in trouble all the time with the talking to married women thing. It would never even occur for me to hit on them, I just want someone pleasant to talk to,o_O but guys can't imagine that motive..and go strait to he's trying to get some. :eek: The only thing I'm getting is unicorns and grief.:rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

It seems that I have had quite a few people as a 'special interest,' I tend to call people like that my 'sparkles' as to me they are all shiny and interesting. For me it has always been females, and more often than not around middle age. I am reasonably sure it wasn't a romantic thing but very hard to say as I am assuming that I am actually going to be batting for the other team if I ever actually fall for someone.

I think it might have been to do with being mothered, it has always been extremely intense and it has gotten me in trouble before. I had a letter from my college asking me not to talk to one of my lecturers for anything but work related issues.

It can be an amazing feeling when you have their attention and can communicate with them, but ultimately I feel that such situations can end in heartbreak.

I wish everyone all the best,
Indy

I've never had a person as a special interest, however, people' minds are a special interest of mine.

In my heyday I became a special interest for a few people, stalkers they were called back then. From my side of the fence, very creepy.

I've never had a person as a special interest, however, people' minds are a special interest of mine.

In my heyday I became a special interest for a few people, stalkers they were called back then. From my side of the fence, very creepy.

Hi Harrison I suppose when the shoe is on the other foot that a person could mistake our anthropology experiments as stalking sometimes.:rolleyes: Not to sound too paranoid but I have begun to wonder if the auti aspie social blindness and natural reserve looks like weakness to predatory personalities, and draws them in like chum in the water for sharks.:eek: I have 2 white coat worthy females I have been trying to beat off with a stick for about 10 years, and they never seem to get the message just keep circling back in for another bite.:confused: It makes me a little nervous having to watch my back all the time, not knowing just how far they are going to take things.:confused: I see very little evidence of natural behavioral boundaries in play here.o_O

Creepy Indeed!
Hi Harrison I suppose when the shoe is on the other foot that a person could mistake our anthropology experiments as stalking sometimes.:rolleyes: (...) I have begun to wonder if the auti aspie social blindness and natural reserve looks like weakness to predatory personalities, and draws them in like chum in the water for sharks.:eek:
Yep, the experiment can feel slightly creepy-ish at times... Or feel like the anthropologist is somewhat using the person as a toy, game, or "something to kill time when bored"... Which doesn't help anything if the experiment started out as a relationship. Maelström, I guess those two females want a " partner substitute" and believe that your loyalty and skills make you a good candidate? Being honest and a bit naive, Aspies are technically good targets for people who want to "use" others... I guess it's "funny" that I have had to deal with the reverse situation (me being used as a "virtual game" by an Aspie...)

Creepy Indeed!

Yep, the experiment can feel slightly creepy-ish at times... I guess it's "funny" that I have had to deal with the reverse situation (me being used as a "virtual game" by an Aspie...)

Hi Cecile I am sorry you got hurt, it is not always as bad as they are putting it. I said somewhere else, that can be a very high compliment, meaning that with me, if I did that with you, I likely found your personality extremely attractive and compatible. I am careful now days to not be so obvious as to hurt feelings, and I also invest in long term friendships more. I go out of my way now to be warm and engaging so that could be drawing in the stalkers as well. I am sorry you got hurt, I know I disappointed a few girls in the past. With my auti side I squeeze easily, so it didn't take much to spook me, but it is a thing I've been working on.:):sunflower: However any girl who lands me had better be prepared to be melted like butter:D or I'll die trying. :DThat's my story and i'm sticking to it.:rolleyes:

Hi Harrison I suppose when the shoe is on the other foot that a person could mistake our anthropology experiments as stalking sometimes.:rolleyes: Not to sound too paranoid but I have begun to wonder if the auti aspie social blindness and natural reserve looks like weakness to predatory personalities, and draws them in like chum in the water for sharks.:eek: I have 2 white coat worthy females I have been trying to beat off with a stick for about 10 years, and they never seem to get the message just keep circling back in for another bite.:confused: It makes me a little nervous having to watch my back all the time, not knowing just how far they are going to take things.:confused: I see very little evidence of natural behavioral boundaries in play here.o_O

I doubt if you would see much in the way of natural behaviour as there is nothing natural about their actions. Natural would imply you are capable of providing a solution for their hierarchical needs and generally this is, in my experience, symbiotic in some ways. Your pair of sharks seems to be unnatural in that they are in the kill for nothing more than the pain it causes.

I can become overly attatched to people. I can and do obsess about one particular person in my life ( a friend). I want to know them. Do everything possible to make then happy. And It gets to the point where I overly analyse every single interaction with that person. I am not sure if for me, that counts as a special interest, prehaps more extreme attachment. There is some overlap due to the obsessive nature of special interests, and extreme attatchment.

People frequently pique my interest. An actor/actress or musician is a good example. And for a little while I want to research them, learn about their lives. It is a shallow thing, very temporary, but for that little while reminds me of a special interest.

I've always had a special interest in Larry Bird (basketball player). He was kinda like a hero of mine.

New Threads

Top Bottom