• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gf of aspie seeking guidance.

Hello my name is Sarah and I am NT. MY GF is Asbergers, and I am drowning. I joined this forum to try and better understand and support my gf. Our relationship is suffering and she deserves the best... Could someone please take me under their wing? Her biggest problem is that I don't understand her. I'm trying so hard. She means everything to me. Thank you in advance.

Hi & Welcome,
If you look in this and in the 'love and relationships' section you will find quite a few long discussions on just this problem. People like yourself frequently come looking for help in understanding HFA. You might be be able to learn quite a bit without having to wait, while people check in here.

P.S. Its not hopeless. I am an Aspie, married going on 30 years to an NT lady.

Hi, Sarah. Welcome to AC. :)

I think you'll find that plenty of people here will be helpful. Many of us have NT partners, and we certainly know what it's like to be on the Aspie end of the relationship equation. We even have a few other NTs on the forums.

A little more information from you would be useful. In what ways is your relationship suffering? What are some examples of behaviors or ways of thinking that you can't understand?

I commend you for taking the initiative and reaching out to this community for help. You're doing a very generous thing for your partner.

Education, open-mindedness and understanding are absolutely vital to the success of your relationship with an Aspie. In addition to learning from members here, you would also do well to look at the Resources section, where you will find a number of books, etc. about Aspie-NT relationships. Every Aspie is different (very important to remember!), but you can usually find some good general guidance in recent publications.

Feel free to tell us whatever you think is relevant, and ask whatever questions you need to. You are also welcome to PM me if you want to ask some things privately. Just go to the Inbox tab at the top right of the page and start a "new conversation" with Slithytoves. My name should come up for you to click on once you've typed in the first few letters.

Thank you! I'm gonna do just that. Feeling encouraged already.

QUOTE="Slithytoves, post: 227915, member: 12313"]Hi, Sarah. Welcome to AC. :)

I think you'll find that plenty of people here will be helpful. Many of us have NT partners, and we certainly know what it's like to be on the Aspie end of the relationship equation. We even have a few other NTs on the forums.

A little more information from you would be useful. In what ways is your relationship suffering? What are some examples of behaviors or ways of thinking that you can't understand?

I commend you for taking the initiative and reaching out to this community for help. You're doing a very generous thing for your partner.

Education, open-mindedness and understanding are absolutely vital to the success of your relationship with an Aspie. In addition to learning from members here, you would also do well to look at the Resources section, where you will find a number of books, etc. about Aspie-NT relationships. Every Aspie is different (very important to remember!), but you can usually find some good general guidance in recent publications.

Feel free to tell us whatever you think is relevant, and ask whatever questions you need to. You are also welcome to PM me if you
Hi & Welcome,
If you look in this and in the 'love and relationships' section you will find quite a few long discussions on just this problem. People like yourself frequently come looking for help in understanding HFA. You might be be able to learn quite a bit without having to wait, while people check in here.

P.S. Its not hopeless. I am an Aspie, married going on 30 years to an NT lady.

Welcome to AC Sarah.

Being on the spectrum myself, I am quite certain that I'm not qualified to provide the support you seek. there are many NT's on the forum and they are very supportive.

I suggest that you research Asperger's, both here and via Goggle. Go through the forums and read various posts, you likely will come across many that are relevant and applicable to your situation. The knowledge and awareness that you develop from these efforts should be enlightening and helpful.

Possessing Aspergers is merely a handicap, not a terminal pronouncement.

Best wishes for you and yours.

New Threads

Top Bottom