• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Get me an obsession, and fast!"

Simply a Bibliophile

My most recent obsession, the TV series Sherlock, has somewhat petered off, which means that I'm ripe for a new obsession. The problem is that I don't know what it's going to be. Any little thing, TV show, book, movie franchise: it's all there for the picking. I don't want it to be something too weird or socially unacceptable so I'm a little cautious of what I exposed myself to these last few weeks, and what I will expose myself to until I find something new.

Who else finds themselves trying to manipulate or control what they're obsessed with and when?

I do, I have a lot of things I want to work on and accomplish so sometimes I find myself trying to push myself in that direction, because I know if it becomes an obsession it will get done, get done fast, and be awesome.

I do, I have a lot of things I want to work on and accomplish so sometimes I find myself trying to push myself in that direction, because I know if it becomes an obsession it will get done, get done fast, and be awesome.

That's somewhat true for me... but totally against what Simply a Bibliophile stated; I don't care how taboo or weird stuff is. I'm not steering clear of "I can't go there".

I'm noticing it a lot with my current "art" project I'm working on... it's quite immersive looking at all notes and concepts I've written so far, but as such I need to zone out and actually be in a certain mood to think of stuff and add more. I can't go on adding something just because... I have to. Quite often I find that I have to isolate myself for a few days until I'm struck with a "stroke of genius" for stuff to add.

It took me long to figure out that this is how I get my ideas with whatever I'm working on; in the past when I was in bands I had problems writing lyrics or putting down guitar riffs... unless, apparently I was totally zoned out and "out of this world" for a few days.

If I'm zoned out, I usually get **** done really fast... probably half the time that's "normal" and as such I don't really feel it's time wasted just zoning out and "getting there".

So for me it's not neccesarily just obsession... it's the way I function as well... I function solely on immersing myself in obsessions for sometimes, short bursts (but rarely less than a few days), otherwise I wont get anything done at all.

That's somewhat true for me... but totally against what Simply a Bibliophile stated; I don't care how taboo or weird stuff is. I'm not steering clear of "I can't go there".

I'm noticing it a lot with my current "art" project I'm working on... it's quite immersive looking at all notes and concepts I've written so far, but as such I need to zone out and actually be in a certain mood to think of stuff and add more. I can't go on adding something just because... I have to. Quite often I find that I have to isolate myself for a few days until I'm struck with a "stroke of genius" for stuff to add.

It took me long to figure out that this is how I get my ideas with whatever I'm working on; in the past when I was in bands I had problems writing lyrics or putting down guitar riffs... unless, apparently I was totally zoned out and "out of this world" for a few days.

If I'm zoned out, I usually get **** done really fast... probably half the time that's "normal" and as such I don't really feel it's time wasted just zoning out and "getting there".

So for me it's not neccesarily just obsession... it's the way I function as well... I function solely on immersing myself in obsessions for sometimes, short bursts (but rarely less than a few days), otherwise I wont get anything done at all.

I never thought much about this but what you're describing is what artists like myself describe as the "zone" I guess it is a sort obsession, but at the same time, it's not uncommon as any kind of artist (I draw and do visual art) to need to be in the zone to get anything truly creative done. I don't really stay in the zone for days on end very often but I do know that I have to get to that point first and I "waste" a lot of paper and time gaining inspiration and just getting my mind in the right set. I'll doodle for awhile turn on music and look at art that inspires me until I am at that motivated state -- then don't bother me. the world drops off around me and I've escaped it's chaos for awhile. I've been known not even to hear people around me talking directly to me when I'm in this state.

As for the question, I tend to let the different obsessions come and go as they please. Other than art mine is gaming and I'll play a game daily for weeks sometimes til that interest, as you put it, "peters out". Come to think of it I think I do try to control my gaming obsessions. Knowing that I'm not finished and still obsessed with one game even if I get anotehr new game I'll be hesitant to start it since I know it might become my new obsession and I still want to finish the other game first. It's hard for me to switch between games.

Who else finds themselves trying to manipulate or control what they're obsessed with and when?

For the past several months I have tried to control what I become obsessed with, and it has driven me to the brink of insanity (or at the very least, depression). It all started when I began feeling a little bored with my special interests. I kept trying to make myself be obsessed with other things, but all it did was cause me high levels of frustration because my mind wouldn't "lock on" to what I wanted it to. I keep going back to the interests that I wanted to get rid of in the first place, so I'm thinking that maybe I have wasted a lot of time trying to force myself to be obsessed with different things, when the interests I already have are just fine.

How about Doctor Who TV series. The same person who makes you fav show Sherlock also makes Dr. Who. He alternates between them. I started watching Sherlock for that reason.

New Threads

Top Bottom