• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food habits

grapesicles

I've been wondering if anyone else has any unusual food-related habits, since my family do make a few comments about what I eat and how I eat - none of their business, but it made me curious to know if anyone does the same!

I usually buy the exact same food from the supermarket every week until I get completely sick of it, usually buying lots of the same thing if it isn't a fresh food. If I go to the same restaurant again, I'll always order the exact same thing each time until I get sick of that as well. I have foods that I become obsessed with for a long time: currently I really like Penn State Sour Cream & Chive pretzels, Terry's Chocolate Orange, vegetarian stuffed peppers, Nando's chicken and macaroni cheese. Clearly not that healthy! In contrast, I really despise anything with pieces of mushroom or tomato in because I can't stand the texture.

Apparently I also hold cutlery strangely according to others (I think their way is strange) and at home I prefer to eat alone.

What foods do you like? Anything you particularly love/hate? Any food habits that other people think are 'weird'?

Hahaha, what a relief. I regularly get comments at work about how much my lunch never changes. It actually throws me out, when I have to take something different. I also get comments about my choice of cutlery, I use, for certain tasks. And here I am thinking, what I eat and how I eat it, was my business. And as you say, when I get sick of it, I never eat it again

Going out to eat, I like Pizza or Mexican food & I stick to what I like. At home, I am leery of trying new things. I love to eat once a month chicken alfredo. I love peanut butter Oreos & for lunch no matter what I eat fruit like bananas or oranges & yogurt. I hate onions. My family has tried to hide them & I can taste & spot them a mile away. I don't care much for tomatoes & mushrooms too Becky.

Let's put it this way: I get so focused on buying the exact items I want foodwise that I forget to buy non-foodstuffs.

I usually buy the exact same food from the supermarket every week until I get completely sick of it, usually buying lots of the same thing if it isn't a fresh food. If I go to the same restaurant again, I'll always order the exact same thing each time until I get sick of that as well. I have foods that I become obsessed with for a long time

Yeah, I do this. My sister never understands it. I eat pretty healthy though, but have odd obsessions.

For example, I've been obsessed with crushed ginger many times (I know, odd right?). I'd get so obsessed, I'd use it in every meal; even if it doesn't compliment the dish very well. My sister would sometimes pinch a piece off my plate, then frown, and say 'what the hell are you eating?'

Keep in mind she's a serious foodie, so it's all about perfect flavours working in harmony. She doesn't understand that I do follow this concept too, but my obsessions will always come first, and will even sabotage a dish, simply so that I may satisfy my Aspie urges.

Some reoccurring favourites include: fresh squeezed orange juice with pulp, olive oil & balsamic vinegar, salmon (cooked just the way I like it), chocolate milk, and garlic or ginger.

Yes! I became a vegetarian at 13, as soon as my parents decided I was old enough to make decisions, because the texture of meat really skeeves me out. I hate eggplant, also because of the strange texture. I do what you mentioned, i go through phases, and i basically buy tons and tons of the same few items and eat them every day until i cant stand it. My sister has become something of a foodie, and at holidays she has been trying out new variations to the dishes i love. Right, because the Thanksgiving meal just gets so tiresome since we eat it exactly once a friggin' year.

I'm a vegetarian who loves Italian food. Pasta, pizza, gnocchi & risotto all are fantastic (if vegetarian) but my favourite is tortellini. My favourite fruit is tomato. I'm not keen on hot (spice) foods like chilli. I always am told I eat pizza backwards but I think everyone else is wrong.

I am not keen on most kinds of meat especially lamb, and I usually pick away at it bit by tiny bit and I wont touch meat or chicken if it has even the slightest hint of pink in it, I like that sort of thing well cooked. I nearly always order the same things when I eat out and every Saturday I buy the same pizza and same brand of orange soda for dinner after work regular as clockwork. My oddest habits are eating creamed rice straight from the can cold, rejecting food if the texture or temperature is not right and mixing various pickles, vinegar or sauces with my mac n' cheese.

I am vegan and am obsessed with learning about ways to substitute raw and vegan ingredients for animal products. I am also a chemist, so it makes sense to me to take the step - considering the chemical and biological equivalencies of these ingredients to other, animal-related ingredients and concocting new recipes. Although I tend to stick to similar flavour profiles such as those common in Indian and Mexican cuisine.

I have also gotten quite used to the flavour of Cocktail Sauce on most things. It is nice to include on french fries, sandwiches, salads, mixed with ketchup and other sauces, etc . . . I do the same thing with Sauerkraut. It is a superfood and has been tested in clinical studies by a Danish physiologist who has suggested it has anti-carcinogenic properties.

Food is great.

My mum often laughs when I'm in the lolly aisle of the supermarket because I spend a while picking my chocolate bar, only to get the exact same bar I ALWAYS get! :p
Now she goes "just get your Moro fix and be done with it, boy. :D"
Hillarious.

I eat at a cafe next to work every friday and they always joke about how I wont eat cooked tomato or mushrooms (yuk!) and always pick one of several items on their menu, they keep trying to predict what I will order (they are right about 50% of the time), also I am one of the few patrons there that will use HP sauce (most people find it strong but I love it).

It tires me when people comment on what i eat.
I like what i like and if i want that everyday then so what.
Work colleagues pulling my leg all the time because i like cheese and onion sandwiches every day whilst they
have processed microwave e number crap!!
I'm biased but i feel most people eat like pigs.
They'll rave about some pub food and we go there and it's processed rubbish cooked in a vat.
Do they even have taste buds?
Regardless of what's on a menu they have to have a starter,main and pudding and go back for more.
It's like they are still cave men who might not eat tomorrow so have to stock up for the winter lol.
Yes i am slim.
I mainly only eat one meal a day when not working and it suits me fine.
Why can't some folk accept others are different and actually see the positive side of peeps not all being the same.
Oh and i need MY cutlery to be happy too.o_O

I get hung up on one food and eat it until I get tired of it then move to the next type. I always had the autistic nearly everything you eat makes you sick gut,so many foods are avoided from past experience. I now attribute my diverticulitis to autism,which required taking my digestive tract out and resectioning it to repair an abscess. My TBI killed off my olfactory system,so any taste that requires smell is gone. I still get spicy,sweet,sour and acetic sensations so a trip thru the spice rack brings my food back to life. The amusing part of me having no taste is that I will still not eat anything I despised the taste of because I don't want something nasty to be the first or only thing I ever taste again. :p

Oh wow!! And here I thought it was 'just me'...

I too eat the same thing over and over again - until I get sick of it and them I won't touch it for ages.

At the moment it's something really simple: chicken breast, brown rice, steamed broccoli and corn for lunch. If I don't have it for whatever reason it totally throws me off.

I also have what most call a love of weird food combinations. Can't tell you what that they are because I think all my flavour combinations are great haha but my partner comments on the fact that they're a little odd ;)

Yeah I get in food ruts too. Will eat the same things every day for each meal until I develop an aversion to them.

I also tend to be a picky eater and a lot of foods make me sick. I don't do additives/preservatives very well or meat unless it's high quality/kosher. I love dairy but I'm starting to give up on it. I don't care for a lot of seasoning, either. Or things being thoroughly cooked.

I also have this weird distaste for my food touching on my plate or the juices mixing, and I also don't like to physically touch my food. I've gotten weird looks plenty of times for doing things like eating fried chicken with a fork and knife.

Another thing people find odd... I use proper table etiquette when I eat. I feel very uncomfortable with casual table manners.

I eat the same breakfast and lunch almost every day. Porridge for breakfast and Mulligatawny Soup for lunch. For dinner I eat with my family, so eat whatever my lovely wife cooks.
Things I can't eat are fish and any form of seafood. I can't stand the smell (sensory issue). No one can cook or eat fish in the house when I'm around for the same reason.
The other thing I am 'funny' about is cutlery. The cutlery has to feel right in my mouth. Like most families we have acquired a mix of different sets of cutlery over the years. I will only use one particular style of spoon and fork from one of the sets. I also don't like knives that have their blades too rounded.

Yeah I get in food ruts too. Will eat the same things every day for each meal until I develop an aversion to them.

I also tend to be a picky eater and a lot of foods make me sick. I don't do additives/preservatives very well or meat unless it's high quality/kosher. I love dairy but I'm starting to give up on it. I don't care for a lot of seasoning, either. Or things being thoroughly cooked.

I also have this weird distaste for my food touching on my plate or the juices mixing, and I also don't like to physically touch my food. I've gotten weird looks plenty of times for doing things like eating fried chicken with a fork and knife.

Another thing people find odd... I use proper table etiquette when I eat. I feel very uncomfortable with casual table manners.

The part about not wanting foods to mix together is exactly how I am. I try usually to actually get a plate that is big enough to where I have enough room to separate all the foods so they are not touching. When things get mixed together, it usually grosses me out and makes me not want to eat it anymore. I know I have gotten some strange reactions before from people when they notice I do things like that.

In general, I like very plain foods. I don't like anything that is spicy or has any strong tastes. When I have foods like hamburgers and hot dogs, I usually put very few if any toppings on them. I may like certain foods separate, but I don't like concoctions of things.

For lunch in particular, I eat the same thing every day at work, a bologna sandwich. I can't even remember the last time I had anything else but that for lunch at work. ;)

One thing I've always hated is fruit salad. Can't think of many foods as bad as fruit salad. I like all the composite parts, but mixed - blah. Never understood why people would ruin good fruit.

I was more picky about food when I was younger, and remember asking my mother not to put things on top of each other on my plate. One of my sons is like this too.

I always get the same thing at McDonalds. Hot n' Spicy with a Oreo McFlurry. I hate tacos with a burning passion. I sometimes love something, then the next day I hate it.

Nope. No weird eatings here :p

New Threads

Top Bottom