• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeding blank mind with words

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Not sure how else to say it.

I have a blank mind when in a stressful situation, but if I am sort of fed what to say and it sits ok with me, I find I remember to say it, despite how stressful and empty my mind feels.

I only came to a sort of realisation about this not so long ago, but it was so vague. However, I have a really stressful situation I am facing right now and so decided to use that "word feed" with my own words.

I basically typed out a sort of summery of what is going on and how I could respond. A kind of role play with myself lol

Just sharing and see if I am the only one to do this.

Not sure how else to say it.

I have a blank mind when in a stressful situation, but if I am sort of fed what to say and it sits ok with me, I find I remember to say it, despite how stressful and empty my mind feels.

I only came to a sort of realisation about this not so long ago, but it was so vague. However, I have a really stressful situation I am facing right now and so decided to use that "word feed" with my own words.

I basically typed out a sort of summery of what is going on and how I could respond. A kind of role play with myself lol

Just sharing and see if I am the only one to do this.

How clever and smart. Thank you for sharing. IMO your approach is studious and intellegent. Much of this work I do in my head as I am anticipating the stressful situation. As you can guess, I end up over-thinking and cause myself pre-stress. I’m such a silly worry-wart of a man. Normally, the actual stressful situation isn’t as stressful as my pre-work (worry). To take the time to type out the situation and possible outcomes most-assuredly would eliminate the most worrisome results that simply are not viable. A “word-feed”. Brilliant! Suzanne, thank you for sharing your approach with us.

How clever and smart. Thank you for sharing. IMO your approach is studious and intellegent. Much of this work I do in my head as I am anticipating the stressful situation. As you can guess, I end up over-thinking and cause myself pre-stress. I’m such a silly worry-wart of a man. Normally, the actual stressful situation isn’t as stressful as my pre-work (worry). To take the time to type out the situation and possible outcomes most-assuredly would eliminate the most worrisome results that simply are not viable. A “word-feed”. Brilliant! Suzanne, thank you for sharing your approach with us.

Thanks for the compliment, George. By the way, what does IMO mean? I am not so smart with computer language.

I am in a state of freeze til what I have to do later, is out of the way. I can function normally, but it is like a low lying pressure surrounding my entire being and this happens each time, I have to face something that requires me to open up to my emotions and so that is why I have documented what I could say in response to what will probably be argued against me and hope that I can use that to aid me in getting across what I need to get across.

Can you explain though, why my approach is studious and intelligent?

And it is my pleasure to share. I am always extremely worried about sharing what goes on in my head, in case I get recriminations ( I guess due to always getting negative feedback).

I can confirm it's not a bad way to keep sane.

I wish the nerves could be dealth with in the same way ie don't be nervious and voila it goes away.

Awful breathless feeling that is encasing me and will only truly go away, once what is causing it has finished.

I prepare too, planning what to say and even how I will make facial expressions and what I may do with my hands. But, I try not to pre-plan more than a little bit a day or I get way too stressed.
I practice deep breathing and consciously relax my muscles, every few minutes. I remind myself how good it will feel when the ordeal is over and even will treat myself to something like ice cream as a reward for surviving!

I'm not often lost for words but, conversely, I switch my mind to a blank state as soon as I enter a supermarket which helps me to relax. Sometimes I do this at parties and gigs too.

I like to prepare statements in advance, mainly because I want things to be well-phrased, accurate, and concise. When I have to explain or answer something off the top of my head, I ramble, drift across topics without finishing them, and don't get my point across.

When I am emotionally off-balance, I say as little as possible (because I know that, whatever I say, I'll probably regret it later). So I'll just use my canned explanation, "Today is a quiet day for me."

In the past, I had recognized that at certain times, I was concentrating so deeply that I missed things people had said to me. I made a "recorded message" in my head that I could say when I was in that mode. Someone came to talk to me, and I could perceive that someone wanted my attention, so I "played" my message: "I'm really concentrating on this right now. Give me a minute and I'll look up."

So, I guess I'm a real fan of "word feeds".

New Threads

Top Bottom