• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fed my obession with trains last night

artfull dodger

I have been on the hunt for one of these British Mamod live steam train sets for a little while. Found this one, thru a google search, on of all places Craigslist. But, it was on the opposite side of the USA from me. I emailed the seller to see if they were willing to ship. Thankfully he was, he set up a paypal account and we paid via a credit card incase he failed to ship the set. You never know who you are dealing with from that site. But the set is in FedEx's hands now, on its way to me. Set was made in the early 1980's and this one has never been used. That will change once I get it. I got the set for less than the locomotive itself sells for over on ebay. I am very pleased. I feel the most content with life when I am able to buy myself some trains. Mike

I use Esbit survival fuel tablets to run mine because they are less expensive than the original ones.

You can get a replacement burner from the UK that uses methlated spirits/alcohol, which is way cheaper than the tablets. I plan to get one for my locomotive. I get my spirits from Lowes in the paint department. But any good hardware store should carry it. Its also used as a fuel for some camping stoves. Mike

Yeah,I have seen the conversion kits and agree that it would cost a whole lot less.

I have been engineering a steam stationary engine for a while now.
My 11 inch swing Logan lathe with a milling attachment will get a workout in brass coming up.

Although I love steam engines my first love is British diesel and electric locos from the 1960s/70s/80s as well as having a much wider interest in the infrastructure, architecture, geography and history of railways in general. I remember Mamod products were advertised in railway hobby magazines many years ago.:)

Mamod is making a come back, they are making the railway system again and still making the mobile and stationary engines. MSS now makes the original style Mamod locomotive and railway sets. A company called Dream Steam sells upgrades to improve and customize the Mamod/MSS locomotives. Then I can upgrade and improve as my income allows. I want to build an engine from a kits that are offered by a company called Roundhouse Engineering, but they are quite expensive, even in kit form. Hopefully someday. Mike

Mamod is making a come back, they are making the railway system again and still making the mobile and stationary engines. MSS now makes the original style Mamod locomotive and railway sets. A company called Dream Steam sells upgrades to improve and customize the Mamod/MSS locomotives. Then I can upgrade and improve as my income allows. I want to build an engine from a kits that are offered by a company called Roundhouse Engineering, but they are quite expensive, even in kit form. Hopefully someday. Mike
I saw two live steam locomotives that were hand built in perfect detail. One was about three feet long,and the other he could ride on was six. It took the guy 20 years to finish both units in his small machine shop in his basement.They both were coal fired and had super boilers that were hand riveted. He made all of his castings and the machine work was perfect.

You being a small engine guy from way back might appreciate my running 1948 Lausens Power Products 4 stroke lawn mower that I want to refinish just for fun.There is enough of the original paint to match it properly. It has a cast aluminum deck and is odd because Lausens was better known for their two stoke lineup.

This has been moved to a 'Trains' thread to not interrupt Artful Dodger's thread.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
The only information on this photo is February 1958 North

Attachments

• CCI04052016.jpg
    CCI04052016.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 187
Although I love steam engines my first love is British diesel and electric locos from the 1960s/70s/80s as well as having a much wider interest in the infrastructure, architecture, geography and history of railways in general. I remember Mamod products were advertised in railway hobby magazines many years ago.:)
Same here. I am also really interested in disused railways and stations. There is a website about disused railways in the UK and it is fantastic.

Here is one of my newest purchases, this is a Kalamazoo Toy Train Works 4-4-0 American type. Fairly toy like when it comes to trains in this scale, comes from the infancy of this scale in the USA(1980s) but unlike most all the other brands, it was made completely here in the USA. The company that inherited the tooling and still makes this engine, with lots of upgrades since this early model, is still a 100% made and assembled right here in Indiana where I live. Mike

The only information on this photo is February 1958 North

That date makes it likely that this involved the construction of the spur to Thompson, Manitoba, from the line that goes to Churchill. That would explain why the trees are so small, and why the photograph might have been taken in the first place.

(And the first photograph that turned up when Googling Thompson was a ridge similar to the one in the background.)

That date makes it likely that this involved the construction of the spur to Thompson, Manitoba, from the line that goes to Churchill. That would explain why the trees are so small, and why the photograph might have been taken in the first place.

I am truly amazed Flinty, thank you. Your research skills are incredible.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom