• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Family of an autistic man who killed himself accuse SIX agencies of ignoring his pleas for help...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

'They didn't take him seriously, he thought they didn't care': Family of an autistic man who killed himself accuse SIX agencies of ignoring his pleas for help in the 48 hours before his death
  • Joe Haines, told people he had suicidal thoughts the day before he died
  • The keen weightlifter texted Samaritans and then requested an ambulance
  • He also visited the accident and emergency department at his hospital

The family of an autistic man who killed himself have accused six agencies of ignoring his pleas for help in the 48 hours before his death.

3ACBBD9B00000578-3978094-image-a-31_1480331370125.jpg

Joe Haines, 25, who had Asperger's syndrome and depression, told people he had suicidal thoughts the day before he died.

The keen weightlifter, who also suffered from stress and anxiety, texted Samaritans and then requested an ambulance - but call handlers did not dispatch one.

He also visited the accident and emergency department at his local hospital - where he left after getting stressed waiting for almost two hours.

Joe's desperate family also contacted his GP as well as Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership's crisis team and autism services for adults team, BASS.

The inquest into his death was told that healthcare workers did not believe Joe was at immediate risk so he was not given a mental health assessment.

Instead his family were incorrectly told by the crisis team that they 'do not deal with people who have autism'.

Coroner Terrence Moor pledged to write to the mental health trust in a bid to ensure the same mistake does not happen again.

Speaking after the inquest in a bid to raise awareness, his sister Charlotte Haines, 34, a zoo animal handler, said: 'He might have still been here if one of those people had done something.

'If one person had made one phone call it could have made a difference.

'But I think they ignored him. They did not take what he was saying seriously, and they did not take him seriously, and Joe thought that meant that they didn't care.

'This is a tragedy which happened during the last hours of his life because of so many missed opportunities and a catalogue of errors.

'As a family we believe this would never have happened had those opportunities been taken.'

Joe, from Weston super Mare, Somerset, suffered with low moods in his late-teens and was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2014, prompting an increase in his depression.

His sister said he texted Samaritans for nine hours in the days before his death -because he had no credit to ring - and they eventually promised to call him.

But she claims they didn't and texts show Joe got frustrated and texted to say it was 'too late' in the early hours of June 24.

The inquest at Avon Coroner's Court in Flax Bourton near Bristol heard Joe called 999 at 8am on June 26, worried he had brain damage from weightlifting.

His sister claims that Joe told call handlers 'he didn't want to be here anymore' and was initially told an ambulance was on its way, but it wasn't dispatched.

Mother Yvonne, 55, then called autism services for adults team BASS who phoned Joe, but Charlotte claims they 'dismissed' him and told her mum 'he is fine'.

Joe's father David, 56, next called the crisis team at Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership.

But he was incorrectly told by the crisis team that they 'do not deal with people who have autism', the inquest heard.

Engineer David then took Joe to Weston General Hospital's accident and emergency department.

But after nearly two hours of waiting they had to leave before Joe was seen, as his anxiety levels became unbearable.

On the way home from the hospital Joe's GP phoned him following a request from Yvonne, but Joe didn't want to talk to him.

Charlotte claims a second later a call from her mother to his GP was 'ignored' due to a 'system failure' which made the GP think he had already responded.

Mr Haines left his son at home to sleep, but began to worry when he could not reach Joe the next day, on June 27, and he was found hanged.

In a statement, Joe's mum Yvonne Haines said: 'David went around to Joe's flat and found Joe.

'He immediately called an ambulance and three arrived - but Joe was already dead.

'I was in a nearby shop when David called me. I sensed immediately something was very wrong.

'I asked if Joe was OK and I could feel the terror rising inside of me.

'David said he could not lie to me and Joe was not OK - I collapsed and my daughters had to call an ambulance for me.

'Joe was in crisis. Joe turned to a number of agencies for support and help in the 24 hours before he died.

'In addition we, as a family, made frantic efforts to support our son.

'We feel a number of opportunities to prevent this tragedy were missed.'

Mr Moor said Joe's autism made it impossible to know if he fully understood the consequences of his actions and so recorded an open verdict.

Paying tribute to her brother, Charlotte said: 'Joe was loving, caring and the most honest person I have ever met.

'He was fun and had a great sense of humour - and that is how we will remember him.

'He was very engaging and dedicated in everything he did - he was an excellent chess player and a great gamer. Anything he put his mind to, he would excel at.

'We are all struggling to try and get through each day without him.

'If speaking out can stop the same thing from happening to just one other person, it will be worth speaking out.'

A spokeswoman for Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership and BASS said: 'We would like to offer our sincere condolences to the family of Joseph Haines.

'The coroner found the BASS team responded promptly and gave appropriate advice.

'The advice given by the crisis team representative was misleading and we have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.'

A spokeswoman for the Samaritans said: 'Our sympathy is with Joe's family at this difficult time. If anyone expresses suicidal thoughts, they should be taken seriously.

'We investigate any complaints about our service when necessary.'

Weston General Hospital declined to comment when contacted by MailOnline.

This publication has contacted the South Western Ambulance Service for comment.

• For confidential support call the Samaritans on 116123 or visit a local Samaritans branch, see www.samaritans.org for details

Source (with images): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ncies-ignoring-pleas-help-48-hours-death.html

i am glad they are speaking out and naming and shaming these services,not enough is being done for the mental health of people on the spectrum.

when ive been brought to the hospital after suicide or self harm attempts;the crisis team have told me because i am under the social services learning [intellectual] disability team and not the mental health team,they cant help me,they simply send a letter to my pyschiatrist who simply does not give a s***.
we need to do more for aspie/autie mental health.

New Threads

Top Bottom