• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Facial expression?

Cazzie

hi all,
what are you like with facial expression?

i find this very difficute at times how about you?

take care
cazzie

Re: Fcial expression?

I have that issue at times when I'm watching a movie or concentrating, I start to look like I'm frowning or something is bothering me when I'm simply alright.

Half the times, I have to cover up saying I have a headache. :lol2:

On a subconcious level I must know something, because I am able to adequately respond to other people's facial expressions with the correct facial expression in return. I can't do those facial expression tests though, I always get 1/10, have absolutely no clue what they are all meant to mean.

Yeah sometimes its so damn hard to tell. ha I have the habit of trying to provoke people into more obvious expressions. ...like seeing how they respond to jokiness. Or I'll say something self criticizing in a light-hearted way... like if I've been on a big monologue and i have no idea if they're interested or are incredibly bored I'll be like " gahhh I'm sorry I talk wayyy too much when i'm excited haha" then watch their reaction.
I can do them ok myself but I rely on a few stock expressions. like wide-eyed+ biting lip when concerned. And the beginning ( slightly twitchy stage) of a smile to show that I am not miserable. sometimes i can put more effort into it but it is sooo exhausting/ hard to concentrate on other things. lame. When I smile for real (when I feel overwhelmingly giddy) it kind of takes over my face and I look all deranged haha.

I have a very limited range of facial expression:

- Neutral (most people say it looks like I'm upset or angry)
- Happy (only when I'm in the best possible mood)
- Upset/angry (just looks like a more intense version of my neutral expression)

I think I usually put a "poker face" front up to hide my feelings because they tend to be too revealing. One reason I think I've developed this behaviour has been due to serious mistakes such as laughing after I hear something terrible someone has said. I also make serious mistakes when responding at times. I make these errors because I'm concentrating on my demeanor or am lost in those elusive social elements.
Most of this had occurred before I knew of my condition (I was diagnosed a few weeks ago) which I'm no longer blind to, thankfully. Throughout positive interaction I can be very free flowing and expressive - until someone points that out to me :wtf: probably one of the biggest downers for me in any interaction as I don't go drawing attention to others mannerisms mid-conversation.

I have a very limited range of facial expression:

- Neutral (most people say it looks like I'm upset or angry)
- Happy (only when I'm in the best possible mood)
- Upset/angry (just looks like a more intense version of my neutral expression)

I would be the same. I can also do a surprised and confused facial expression.

:shocked: Wow!!!!! I think I just realized something! I was thinking about this topic and wondering about what my normal facial expression is and when/how does it change...to tease a bit, I've always wondered why people are ALWAYS talking to me and telling me their problems and always asking my advise...I consider myself intelligent, but many things people go on about just make me think, "Okay, you can shut up and go away anytime now!"...or "I'm in a hurry, please stop talking", etc. I've always been good at sales, and get complimented by customers frequently...when I'm thinking, "What? Did you expect me to slap you? I was just doing my job, get over it."

Thus, I have concluded that I must have a standard "quizzical" expression, that must say..."please, tell me more". Although, I have been told I turn a dark shade of red when I'm angry, though my facial expression and tone do not match.

I have a pretty serious looking face, a lot of the time, but I think it's quite charming.
:(

New Threads

Top Bottom