• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Empathy

AustinTheAspie

Just Another Member
Seems to me that nobody has any empathy anymore. It's no wonder people live in complete isolation, away from the world. I don't know if it's because you people are autistic like me, but it doesn't excuse your insensitive and inconsiderate behavior. I can see now why people commit suicide. Some of you on here need to do it too, I mean, some of you are in your 40s and 50s, and you still act like a goddamn 6 year old. Having autism doesn't excuse your behavior, and me being 22 years old and seeming like one of the only few on AC with any form of empathy is sad as hell.

Last edited:
You say you have empathy but you're unempathetic to people with autism who have problems with cognitive empathy (if that made sense). I don't know much about you but from that I wouldn't hold you as someone with a great sense of empathy from that post.

People with autism can be unempathetic, but a good chunk of it is coming from a place of simply not understanding, not a case of not caring. That is the clinical understanding of when doctors say autistics can be unempathetic. This isn't to say that autistic people can sometimes not care, we are after all human.

Seems to me that nobody has any empathy anymore.

I don't think there's ever been a time when people were more empathic. Roughly speaking we are more empathic now than we have ever been in history, especially towards people with mental health problems or disabilities. You can say that divisions have came up in the recent years, politically speaking. Marginalising racial or sexual or gender groups but on the whole things are getting better for us as a global sociality.

You say you have empathy but you're unempathetic to people with autism who have problems with cognitive empathy (if that made sense). I don't know much about you but from that I wouldn't hold you as someone with a great sense of empathy from that post.

People with autism can be unempathetic, but a good chunk of it is coming from a place of simply not understanding, not a case of not caring. That is the clinical understanding of when doctors say autistics can be unempathetic. This isn't to say that autistic people can sometimes not care, we are after all human.

I don't think there's ever been a time when people were more empathic. Roughly speaking we are more empathic now than we have ever been in history, especially towards people with mental health problems or disabilities. You can say that divisions have came up in the recent years, politically speaking. Marginalising racial or sexual or gender groups but on the whole things are getting better for us as a global sociality.

You're right...I shouldn't have been hypocritical with the empathy post. I'm just so frustrated with life.

you have to remember,every aspie and autie is at a different level of emotional capacity and intellectual capacity, so while someone might be 40 or whatever it doesnt mean their emotional or intellectual age will be the same.

and not having empathy doesnt mean you cant sympathise and have morals and care about others, i have no form of empathy-i have always been so far detached from humans to build that sort of connection but i have learned sympathy which enables me to care somewhat.
i dont have any feelings towards people as a whole,but i do have care for anyone who is classed as vulnerable [ie,disabled,mental health, elderly,homeless,people brought up in foster homes etc] as i can relate to them.

id never disrespect anyone on here even though i have been repeatedly harassed for the difficulties that stem from being LFA,and there are some users who have a weird issue with me and avoid any topics i write and have posted about me and others hating them and ignoring them for some reason [i havent a clue where they got that from] ,i like to think i am mature and hopefully not one of those you refer to-i put it down to having had very colourful life experiences and being made to see quite adult experiences from a very young age.

-with many aspies and auties,they can be quite sheltered from life and not know how to interact with people, you dont know if their posting on aspiescentral is their first forum, for me when i first started posting on a forum many years ago,i had no understanding of back forth conversation whatsoever and had never properly interacted with humans before,i had been reading forums for a while to get an understanding of written conversation.

i had a go at a chavvy girl for calling a favourite DJ of mine ancient and past it [meaning really old],and the girl responded with a whole load of swear words starred out by the filter- directed at me, of which i responded back with something like, hes got one of the best jobs in the world and all you will ever do is flip burgers at burger king while you abandon your gaggle of children in your council house every day, it looked like i was trolling her and i got banned, but much of the chatlog from our 'colourful' conversation ended up on a page in the UK DJ/dance music magazine; mixmag,i was really chuffed but now feel it looked very immature.
so...im just saying,perhaps some of the people if not a lot maybe? could be newbies to netiquette and so forth.

i hope you come back soon,you give a different view to the world on here.

I was frustrated with life and admit I use to have suicidal thoughts. However, the reason why I had suicidal is having trouble finding a stable income to support myself.

We might had some similar bad experience with people. One thing I learn to accept is society owes me nothing. I don't expect anything from anyone. However, I do accept support from people want to be a true friend instead of just be there for me over pity.

Anyhow, I decided to live for myself and maybe within time, I might have local friends. I think you should try to aim for the same and during the mean time, find things to do so you can enjoy yourself.

Seems to me that nobody has any empathy anymore. It's no wonder people live in complete isolation, away from the world. I don't know if it's because you people are autistic like me, but it doesn't excuse your insensitive and inconsiderate behavior. I can see now why people commit suicide. Some of you on here need to do it too, I mean, some of you are in your 40s and 50s, and you still act like a goddamn 6 year old. Having autism doesn't excuse your behavior, and me being 22 years old and seeming like one of the only few on AC with any form of empathy is sad as hell.

I agree with you that some people here can be very inconsiderate at times. It also doesn't excuse you telling them they should off themselves, though. We are all (most of us anyway) suffering in one way or another. We all have struggles. I'm sorry you are hurting.

There was a terrorist attack in London on wednsday and I a cold to what happened, because I am seeing the bigger picture. Not saying I agree with Isis or Jihads, but I can see why these things happen.

My husband started a new job and I felt so nervous and anxious for him; my heart was going out to him for his first day and yet, he was mildly nervous.

I say that I do have empathy, but not for stupidity.

I know of a single woman who would dearly love to be married and me being an aspie, goes out of my way to include her, because I can imagine how it must feel to be alone, despite being married, where as all the NT's who know her, do not share this feeling.

I wouldn't say that I act like a 6 year old. Ok, fess up time. When I am excited or animated about something, it is true, I do act like a 6 year old, but happily my husbaend finds it endearing.

Hmmm. You want everyone who isn't very good at empathising to kill themselves? Well, there goes the human race...

It seems to me that most people (NT's, anyway) only use empathy very selectively, when it suits them to, for example with a loved one, but avoid it at all costs when it's inconvenient for them, e.g. with homeless people or Syrians fleeing a war zone. If the majority of people were actually capable of understanding how most other people felt, the world would be... well, possibly quite a nice place, instead of an utter pile of sh*te.

There was a terrorist attack in London on wednsday and I a cold to what happened, because I am seeing the bigger picture. Not saying I agree with Isis or Jihads, but I can see why these things happen.
This made me think of something else: NT empathy can also be manipulated very easily for some pretty evil purposes. I'm thinking about all those stories in rightwing British tabloids featuring "hardworking families" suffering at the hands of immigrants/refugees/the elite/the EU... There's usually a quote from the "victim" telling you exacly how they feel, so that the reader empathises with them very strongly, and starts to hate the "oppressor". The aim of the stories is to make sure the reader doesn't think about the bigger picture. Which makes me wonder: are Aspies better at seeing through bulls**t?

Some AS people can be victim of that kind of manipulation too, but I guess we are more likely to learn thoroughly about the situation so we might tend to have a more educated opinion. I don't know though, I don't have any stats so this is only based on personal experience.

New Threads

Top Bottom