• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotional Sensitivity in ASDs

I rarely speak in real life, much prefer written conversation and slow-motion conversation. This community is my first foray into interacting with other humans in a very long time. It has been the most hopeful and optimistic thing in my life in a very long while.

Honestly that's pretty much how I felt coming here.

I think you'll find that this place gets that much better once you get to know the people here a bit.

I now choose to face the world as a sensitive person

Same here.

What I discovered though is that "sensitivity" does not mean "low on strength". You can be sensitive and strong, but the key thing is to understand that it's up to YOU to pull that off... nobody can do it for you. I had to learn this lesson the hard way many years ago, and it stuck with me and is part of why I'm on this forum whatsoever to begin with.

But, while nobody can accomplish that for you, they can help you accomplish it yourself. That, to me, is part of the purpose of this forum. Always feel free to post when you're having trouble or are finding something tough to grasp, or even just message someone directly. Generally we're always willing to help.

At least that's my thoughts on it anyway.

I'm abrasive sometimes without realizing how it affects people until afterwards

For what it's worth, I do the same bloody thing sometimes.

Though for me, I absolutely know when I'm being a spiky ball of spikes (which, frankly, is most of the time). But I cant stop myself even when knowing that. Never could.

I always wondered if that's an autism thing. But of course it manifests different in everyone, doesnt it? How bloody confusing. Feh. Needs to come with an instruction manual.

Though if it did I would probably manage to lose the manual somewhere and then get frustrated over it, because of course I would.

I've lost track of where I was going with any of this. Provided I was going anywhere at all.

I find that on the surface, I don't show a lot of emotion, but deep down an unpleasant experience can really affect me, more than is apparent at the time. I just don't realise it until later. After an agument with someone for example, most people will forget it after a day or so, but for me this can take months. Just seeing the person I had the argument with can trigger me and bring back negative emotion, causing me to relive it. Even though, most probably, that person has forgotten the argument and moved on.

New Threads

Top Bottom