• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not telling people is absolutely fine, it's our choice. This isn't a problem. You will know in your heart if it is right to share your diagnosis and it doesn't have to be done right away. I share when there is a need or I feel comfortable doing so. Only a couple of people I work with know, about half my family know, some "friends".

The running away from problems however might need some work :) In my 20s I did tend to run away from my problems. In all sorts of creative ways, from general avoidance, to ignoring them, to literally running away. I don't know if that was aspie or youth. Most of the time this is fine, but there are problems that get worse when you run away, like relationships and electricity bills..! So I would suggest practice. Take a breath, face the problem head on, even if you cringe, meltdown or draw blood with your fingernails (been there), but face it. After a while (or a decade) it gets easier and becomes more of a nuisance than a catastrophe. Eventually you will realize that most people, even your closest family members, are so completely obsessed with their own lives, your embarrassment will barely register on their radars.

My wife already knew I was on the spectrum before our relationship really got going, so for me it wasn't an issue. But that said, if she (or anyone else) was going to have a bad reaction to disclosing I'm an Aspie, then that isn't someone I'd likely be able to have a relationship with, simply because knowing/not knowing the label does not make the slightest difference to who I am, how I behave, how I think and feel as a person. If it wouldn't be possible for them to accept the label, it would hardly be possible for them to accept me.

New Threads

Top Bottom