• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Electric Guitars

A neat trick is to use 2 mics. Put one directly in front of the speaker and one about 2m away. The second will capture the ambient sound of the room and you should get a nice rounded sound ;)
Yep, that's my preferred method, but at home I only have a basic USB interface with one XLR input so I'm pretty much restricted to experimenting with the position of one mic. Plus, the sound in my room is kinda muddy. It's not really an ideal setup, but it's good enough for getting ideas down.

Yep, that's my preferred method, but at home I only have a basic USB interface with one XLR input so I'm pretty much restricted to experimenting with the position of one mic. Plus, the sound in my room is kinda muddy. It's not really an ideal setup, but it's good enough for getting ideas down.

I have discovered the fun in phase control for guitar sound sculpting. I was doing it today. Record a track, duplicate it and add a very small amount of delay (VERY small). You can really get some good sounds. I've got a plugin with sonar 8.5 which lets you delay by individual samples. The Brian May setup allowed him to switch phase between pickups I think. It's in this territory.

I have discovered the fun in phase control for guitar sound sculpting. I was doing it today. Record a track, duplicate it and add a very small amount of delay (VERY small). You can really get some good sounds. I've got a plugin with sonar 8.5 which lets you delay by individual samples. The Brian May setup allowed him to switch phase between pickups I think. It's in this territory.
That is correct - Brian May's guitar has 6 little switches on it - the top 3 turn the pickups on and off, the bottom 3 switch the polarity - when you have two pickups wired in opposite polarity, they are completely out of phase so the sounds almost entirely cancel each other out. Different pickups detect different harmonics within the string when they are in different locations along the string's "speaking length", and when you combine more than one pickup in series the way Brian May does, the two different electrical currents detected by the pickups add to each other, but when they are in opposite polarity, the harmonics that both pickups detect are cancelled out, leaving only the harmonic differences between the pickups audible - usually very high harmonics that almost produce an octave up effect.

controlling the phasing of a recorded sound by delaying an exact duplicate of that sound is a very different thing, it produces very different results, albeit for the same reasons. Instead of simply being in phase and out of phase at the sound's source, you have the choice to delay the duplicate signal as much as you want, allowing you to control the amount of phase cancellation you want to a certain extent. You can get more similar results by experimenting with the positioning of more than one microphone. Brian May actually uses this technique a lot too :)

Well, a bit of an update regarding Brian May Red Special guitars:

I bought one - I'm very very happy with the build quality, although there were a few minor niggles - That's generally to be expected on a sub-£1000 guitar, and are the kind of thing I can try to live with for as long as possible, but won't be that costly to change.

The main problem I've had, which is the only thing that's a genuine problem, is the grover locking tuner for the high E string keeps breaking strings. I took it to the shop where I bought it today and they have contacted the vendor who have offered to send a replacement tuner. So the problem will soon be solved :)

It's really cool having the switching options available - due to the fact the 3 pickups are wired in series, when you combine more than one in phase, it sort of sounds like a humbucker pickup - only thicker, with a bit more dynamic response. The overall tone of the guitar when two pickups are combined is rather similar to that of my 1973 Gibson SG (I guess the ceramic magnets in the pickups help with this to a certain extent, too), but with a certain dynamic response that is entirely unique to the red special. I still can't get over how it "screams" just like Brian May's original home-made guitar. There are some really cool tones that can be created by turning on all 3 pickups and putting one of them out of phase.

The wilkinson tremolo system is excellent too. very very smooth operation and great tuning stability. This is honestly one of the best tremolo systems i've ever used, It's even better than the one on my EBMM albert lee signature - and that guitar cost A LOT more money...

In addition to having bought myself this guitar, when I took it to the shop to get the string breakage problem sorted today, I spotted that there was a late '70s Fender Bassman 100 amplifier for sale hidden away in the corner - £295! It's in atrocious cosmetic condition but internally it's all working just the way it should, and sounds absolutely stunning - As I am a regular customer at this shop they have allowed me to pay £25 up front and then pay the rest when I am able to (will not take that long), and they'll hold on to it until I've paid in full. It's always nice to have something you know you're working towards :)

I only have 3 guitars now, but I had a few in the past. Currently I have a 1987 white Fender Strat that is completely mint with all its original documents and case, it plays like a dream and has an 'EE' serial number which I have read means it was built for export, possibly by the guys who became the custom workshop when the company got very small- I can't be sure but I read its possible. I have owned other Strats and this is the best one by far.
I also have a 1964 Eko Cobra which is black with some sunburst colouring, first electric I ever had given to me by my dad so I have to keep it, its pretty cool sounding but not quite as nice to play as my strat. I also have a rather shoddy 'no name' acoustic that does its job perfectly , I use it mostly for playing slide. I would have more guitars but I also am into many other instruments including synthesizers and drum machines, spent all my money on musical gear all my life :)

If anyone has any more idea about it being an EE serial or if the signature in the photo is familiar , I would like to know...

Attachments

• IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
If anyone has any more idea about it being an EE serial or if the signature in the photo is familiar , I would like to know...

Here is what the Guitar Data Project Says;

Guitar Info
This guitar is a U.S made guitar made for the export market.
made at the Corona Plant (Fender), USA
in the Year(s): 1987 - 1988

Fender: Corona
Corona factory was opened in 1985, Corona California, with major guitar production starting in 1987. With the addition of a custom shop in 1987 the plant currently employs about 700 workers. Apart from general and Custom Shop Fender instruments and amplifiers, it also encompasses Guild acoustic & electric guitars.

I think at least one of the Es denotes the decade in which it was made - there's a good chance that "EE" could stand for "eighty eight" as in 1988, even if it was made in 1987, because there's some crossover between years with fender's serial numbers.

Thanks for having a look guys, cool info Andy, cheers mate.
I just unfolded the receipt that I got with it rom the original buyer as I remember it had a date on it.
Axeman, I'd say Andy was right about the EE... It was bought in Stoke, England in 1987 by a guy called Neil C Rushton, I wondered if it is this guy... Neil Rushton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia he is from Stoke.

Cool thread :)

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
Axeman, I'd say Andy was right about the EE...
Yes I think so too. I'm pretty sure I've seen the letter E represent "Eighties", N represent "Nineties", and then the last 2 decades it has been Z and X for some reason - although maybe that's just a pattern I have imagined in my head, and it also doesn't explain the other E. I'm not all that familiar with modern fender serial numbers. I bet it's a very nice guitar though - Every Fender from the late '80s through to about the mid '90s that I've played has been absolutely superb. A friend of mine has a 1994 40th anniversary stratocaster with a TBX tone control, It's the only 'stock' fender strat I've played where the tone control actually works on the bridge pickup, and for me, being able to roll off the high frequencies on a single coil bridge pickup is absolutely necessary.

I still almost can't believe I actually found that old Fender Bassman amp yesterday though. can't wait until I've paid for it in full, It's going to be a great gigging amp.

Yea man, I think what you say might have some truth , and EE could well of meant 88, can see your logic.
It is by far the nicest guitar I have ever owned but probably not the best I have played , I do love it and will keep it forever hopefully..
I have yet to have a go on a TBX , would very much like to though ... and, now you mention it I have a feeling my tone knob doesn't seem to do anything on the bridge pick up either, wonder why?

I am tempted to start a thread asking what the nicest guitar is that people have played, might as well just ask.... what is the nicest guitar/s you guys have played?
, personally I thought a vintage Gibson Les Paul from the early 60s(not sure exactly) was the best electric I ever had a go on, it seemed really easy to play stuff and sounded amazing.. And the same owner of the Gibson had a few guitars , including a Gretsch Acoustic like this one Gretsch Synchromatic vintage acoustic guitar | eBay from the 40s or 50s..... he told me 50s... it is the most amazing acoustic I ever played and I would love one.. I haven't played on many guitars though so these are just the best of the few I have.

Yea man, I think what you say might have some truth , and EE could well of meant 88, can see your logic.
It is by far the nicest guitar I have ever owned but probably not the best I have played , I do love it and will keep it forever hopefully..
I have yet to have a go on a TBX , would very much like to though ... and, now you mention it I have a feeling my tone knob doesn't seem to do anything on the bridge pick up either, wonder why?

I am tempted to start a thread asking what the nicest guitar is that people have played, might as well just ask.... what is the nicest guitar/s you guys have played?
, personally I thought a vintage Gibson Les Paul from the early 60s(not sure exactly) was the best electric I ever had a go on, it seemed really easy to play stuff and sounded amazing.. And the same owner of the Gibson had a few guitars , including a Gretsch Acoustic like this one Gretsch Synchromatic vintage acoustic guitar | eBay from the 40s or 50s..... he told me 50s... it is the most amazing acoustic I ever played and I would love one.. I haven't played on many guitars though so these are just the best of the few I have.
Strats typcially never had a tone control for the bridge pickup. I'm not sure why. Some more modern ones have the 2nd tone pot wired to the bridge pickup instead of the middle one. Personally I would prefer a master volume/master tone control layout, then that leaves room for the volume to be moved away from the strings a little - I find it's too close and I keep knocking it.

I've played a lot of vintage Gibsons and it's hard for me to say which one was my favourite, but the one I've used the most is a 1956 Les Paul TV special which is probably one of the most amazing guitars I've ever had the privilege of using semi-regularly. It belongs to one of my neighbours who doesn't actually play, he bought it as an investment. So occasionally he gets frustrated with it not being played and brings it over to my band rehearsals and things and insists that I play it - not that I need any persuasion. It used to belong to Mick Ralphs, and I believe it was used on tour during the Bad Company days - it has "BADCO" stenciled onto the side of the hardshell case. So if you ever see a photo or of Mick Ralphs on stage with Paul Rodgers, playing a single cutaway Les Paul TV special, it's probably the very same guitar that I'm talking about.

I don't know what it is about the old Gibsons that were made at the Kalamazoo MI factory, but there's just something very unique and special about how they feel to play that the newer ones lack. It really is unfortunate that bankers and other ridiculously wealthy individuals have jumped on the vintage guitar bandwagon and inflated the prices beyond the reach of the majority of people who will really appreciate them for what they are.

Ah , cool man... Those Les Paul TV Specials look lovely... just a tad expensive :) I know a guy who has a fairly cheap gibson copy from the 70s that looks as if it is styled around the TV Special, although it isn't a gibson or any other well known name it is actually a really nice guitar and I have been glued to it a few times.
I just been checking out your sound cloud page, it is excellent... sounds really good.. dig it all! I have learned some similar songs from the Beatles/Lennon and Beachboys , last Beachboys song I learnt was Don't Worry Baby.. quite hard to sing it right :) This week I randomly learned 'Digging Your Scene' by the Blow Monkeys.... hehe :p has a nice chord sequence ...

I just thought of about 10 more guitar related threads I could start.... will calm myself down

I'm a bass player. By far the best bass I've played is the Sandberg VM4 I had custom built. It's the one in my profile pic. They hand-build them to your own spec. Well worth the money and sounds awesome

I'm a bass player. By far the best bass I've played is the Sandberg VM4 I had custom built. It's the one in my profile pic. They hand-build them to your own spec. Well worth the money and sounds awesome
I've often considered having a custom guitar to my own specs but I couldn't possibly settle on one set of features. On the one hand I'd love to have my ideal stratocaster guitar and I know exactly what I want from it, but on the other hand, I really want a non-reverse firebird with a few design tweaks too.

I just been checking out your sound cloud page, it is excellent... sounds really good.. dig it all! I have learned some similar songs from the Beatles/Lennon and Beachboys , last Beachboys song I learnt was Don't Worry Baby.. quite hard to sing it right :) This week I randomly learned 'Digging Your Scene' by the Blow Monkeys.... hehe :p has a nice chord sequence ...
Thanks - I'm not very good at finding appropriate ways to deal with compliments, but I appreciate it :) I think it's because of how often when I was a kid (I started playing when I was 6 years old) adults were always telling me how good I was at things that even then I knew I wasn't very good at..

Surfer Girl was very hard for me, it took a lot of hours of frustrating takes to get the higher harmony sounding acceptable. I probably could never do it again. The thought of me even attempting Don't Worry Baby makes me cringe :p

Is anyone interested in seeing my latest bass-build/customisation project? Here is how it started;

Attachments

• Yellow Submarine Bass Raw State.jpg
    Yellow Submarine Bass Raw State.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 66

New Threads

Top Bottom