• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating Out

I hate the fact that they come up to you and ask you at all. I just want to be left alone while eating.

I don't like it when waiters are hovering round your table like vultures waiting to grab your plate as soon as you put your fork down. Sometimes they take it when i haven't even finished eating yet.

I don't like it when I choose something from the menu, and they then tell you that they are out of it. Grrr, I hate that.

I don't like the kind of crappy music they usually have, and it's always too loud.

I don't like the sound of clattering plates and cutlery, or squeeking doors opening and closing. I don't like small children crying or shouting either.

And my number 1 hate is people smoking. I can't stand this. Here, people smoke in restaurants and that's totally wrong.
Brilliant insight into restaurant life ha! People sucking their fingers must really grind on you too!!!?

A
Oh, I don't know, nearly 30 years of performing stadium concerts, 42 currently copyrighted songs, performed by various artists, six platinum albums. If that makes me famous then, I suppose I am. (Yes I'm being facetious here and trying to get you to chuckle - I am fairly well known, I took a break from performing for a few years but, I'll be doing a comeback this year.)
Any chance of a song for my Birthday later this month ha!?

I don't like restaurants when it loud. Some examples can be when at lot of people watching a sports game and cheering. I also don't like seeing people that a drinking and not behaving properly. Then there those times people sing happy birthday. I find it supper annoying. I don't know why people like the Happy Birthday song so much? Just keep it simply and say Happy Birthday instead of saying a stupid song about it.

Ideally, I would prefer a restaurant with the least amount of noise possible.
Eating out for food should be an individual pleasure so excess noise and people misbehaving just treads all over it.

unsurewhattoname yes it's true. I was trying to make light of my professional accolades and achievements because I detest boasting and, I' don't want to be put on a pedestal here. Aspie Central is one of the few online places I remain more or less anonymous and, can speak freely without having to censor my words. it is also the only place I can discus my Aspie related challenges with others on the spectrum as well as friends and family members of those on the spectrum.

I am working on coming out publicly as an Aspie but, that hasn't happened yet. I've got to make this comeback a success, my non profit project that will benefit ASD depends on me, and the rest of my band having the publicity and, the income we can generate to make it work.
I'm intrigued!!! Do what feels right for you

My wife and I eat out 2 or3 times a month. Sometimes we take some grand children to dinner. We have several favorites that we usually go to. They all are quiet and not to bright (almost dark) with good service and food. Once in a while we will try a new place that has just opened. If my wife picks the restaurant, it is usually Chinese food. If I pick it is usually Mexican or someplace that I can get a really good burger.

I love eating at restaurants, but what annoys me is how long it takes for your food to come. Also, they usually serve more food than I can eat.

I love eating at restaurants, but what annoys me is how long it takes for your food to come. Also, they usually serve more food than I can eat.

I agree about having to wait, I am hungry when I go in and I do not want to wait. My wife says that being married to me is like having another kid sometimes, I guess this is one of those times. I usually order salad, soup, bread sticks or something that will come before the main course. They almost always serve more than old folks like us can eat. We just get a to go box and take it home. For us there is usually enough for two meals.

From time to time we all have to venture out for food with other people or on your own. Sometimes we might enjoy doing this. Anyway, I'm interested in what you find annoying when you go out for something to eat? It could be to do with absolutely anything. The staff; the people surrounding you; the people or person you're with; the place itself; the menus; toilets.....Anything at all please share!

I will only share one with you all. I hate it when I'm asked if everything is ok with my meal whilst I'm eating it. Usually my mouth is full when asked so feels very awkward. I would prefer to give my feedback at the end of a meal and if I didn't like something I would complain at the same moment. I feel it would be much more practical if they just asked if I would like anything else not is everything ok with my meal. If I didn't like the meal then me responding with "No it tastes like cardboard" would probably stun the waiting staff. Anyway, that's me lol! I've probably only been to one or two places that have got the hospitality just right for me. Serve great food and give great service and provide a great experience then you can ask me how everything is no problem at all!!!!

I'm not sure if it will make it less annoying but I can explain part of the origin of waiting staff coming around and asking if you are happy with your meal. A diner may refuse to pay their bill at the end of their meal and allege that there was something wrong with their meal. If the diner hadn't made any complaint until the bill arrives that might be evidence that the food was fine. The evidence is better if the waiter actually asked and the diner said they were happy with the meal. I agree it can be annoying though, especially when they don't wait for you to finish the mouthful of food you are eating.

For myself I hate loud noise in restaurants. I don't like it when children are left to scream or run around. This isn't to do with the child, it is about the person taking them to the restaurant and courtesy to other people eating.

Well, there are only about three or four restaurants that I eat at, and I eat at certain times that they are quiet. (Funny, one of them happens to be a Mongolian grill, Beverly .) Also, I generally eat alone because it's unreasonable to eat and converse simultaneously.

Pet peeve: is everything OK right in the middle of my third bite. (You want a tip, right?)

LeroyT1000 I agree, restaurants should donate the excess they prepare daily to those in need, have a free meal day weekly or, even pass out free sack lunches weekly or something. At least donate 1% to 5% of their profits to feed the hungry.

I'll gladly go out to eat, pay $30.00 to $50.00 for my meal, then eat only about half of it because the portions are so huge. I'd love to give that food to someone who needs it, or see the restaurant use some of the profits they made from serving me to feed someone who can't even afford a can of beans to eat.

*****NOTE: I do donate to my local food bank and the local shelter that runs a soup kitchen. ******

LeroyT1000 I agree, restaurants should donate the excess they prepare daily to those in need, have a free meal day weekly or, even pass out free sack lunches weekly or something. At least donate 1% to 5% of their profits to feed the hungry.

I'll gladly go out to eat, pay $30.00 to $50.00 for my meal, then eat only about half of it because the portions are so huge. I'd love to give that food to someone who needs it, or see the restaurant use some of the profits they made from serving me to feed someone who can't even afford a can of beans to eat.

*****NOTE: I do donate to my local food bank and the local shelter that runs a soup kitchen. ******
Love it! I am a greedy man at heart but I've learnt to be generous as I've got older but I've always been willing to share anything with someone without. More of knowing I've helped someone in some way and not really able to put myself fully in their shoes. I have gone without food and shelter during small sections of my life but never endured the cold snap of winter.
I slept in a car just in my jeans and shirt once in winter and I could hardly sleep or move my body in the morning.

Pret A Manger chain in London go round giving unused food produce to the homeless which is good to see. London is crazy you see homeless people sleeping near doorsteps in Mayfair, yet on the other side of the wall there's someone who probably doesn't think twice about losing a few grand at the roulette wheel. With all the money in Mayfair nobody should be homeless.

Love it! I am a greedy man at heart but I've learnt to be generous as I've got older but I've always been willing to share anything with someone without. More of knowing I've helped someone in some way and not really able to put myself fully in their shoes. I have gone without food and shelter during small sections of my life but never endured the cold snap of winter.
I slept in a car just in my jeans and shirt once in winter and I could hardly sleep or move my body in the morning.

Pret A Manger chain in London go round giving unused food produce to the homeless which is good to see. London is crazy you see homeless people sleeping near doorsteps in Mayfair, yet on the other side of the wall there's someone who probably doesn't think twice about losing a few grand at the roulette wheel. With all the money in Mayfair nobody should be homeless.

I know what you mean about London. I lived there and, in Bradford for a while because the first band I was with was London based and, the man I was dating at the time lived in Bradford so, London was my working home and, Bradford for holiday and hiatus time.

I was never exactly homeless but, I did leave home to join my first band with only two sets of clothes and a book bag sized backpack. I had the tour bus for a home and, my bandmates but, no money, no personal items, nothing most consider normal things to have. That was a small time band so, gigs didn't pay a lot and, we struggled to eat a lot of the time so, I have a bit of an idea of what it can be like on the streets.

I know what you mean about London. I lived there and, in Bradford for a while because the first band I was with was London based and, the man I was dating at the time lived in Bradford so, London was my working home and, Bradford for holiday and hiatus time.

I was never exactly homeless but, I did leave home to join my first band with only two sets of clothes and a book bag sized backpack. I had the tour bus for a home and, my bandmates but, no money, no personal items, nothing most consider normal things to have. That was a small time band so, gigs didn't pay a lot and, we struggled to eat a lot of the time so, I have a bit of an idea of what it can be like on the streets.
Ah I'm from Leeds next door but live in Liverpool now although I want to go to London I love it there so much going on 24/7...Hate the tube though too intense. I walk or cycle there :)

I don't enjoy eating out in a western restaurants much, or restaurants in the west, period. Too formal, too many expectations, too much protocol, usually has the air-conditioner/ heater on full blast. I usually let my friends do the ordering, or say "I would like_" while pointing at the menu. What's up with the fancy names? It's a beef steak, so call it beef steak, please.

Music is usually too loud, and it's crappy pop most of the time, or in a more casual place, the telly is on with a silly reality show.

Portions are usually ginormous.

In Asian restaurants in Asia (not the west), your options are more varied and the staff more accomodating if you know where to look and it's not in a trendy place, and it's important it's a small local business. I took two Europeans to a Korean grilled BBQ restaurant well after midnight once. It was an overnight airport transfer for them and they'd nae been to Korea, so were anxious to taste its cuisine. The restaurant was full with no music or TV. We spent a hour or two there and they loved how warm and casual it was despite the language barrier. No waiters hovering around or interrupting you except to help cook your meal. I love it how it's cooked right in front of you instead of in the kitchen. They couldn't believe how cheap it was (they were diplomats). Back in the West, it would have been at least $100-$200, plus tips and fees.

Made me appreciate this country I chose to live in more.

What do I dislike about eating out?

- Too loud!!!!!! So many places these days have no soft furnishings to absorb sound so voices, chairs, dishes, cutlery all create a horrible din.

- Too bright! Most places are too bright... With the noise and the light I want to scream.

- People looking at me... Or at least me thinking they are.

- Too expensive!!!! Here in Australia a simple pub meal is now ridiculously expensive. For crappy trans fat cooked chips that were heated from frozen and a limp, crushed salad from a bag of mixed leaves and pesticides...

- Too much food and no option for a smaller serve unless I try ordering a kids' meal, which I can't really get away with, and I don't want to eat anyway.

- Unhealthy kids' meals!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrr!!!!! How can I get my kids to eat veg when eateries serve fish and chips only, with no salad. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! They don't even offer vegetable sticks or anything, which my kids would happily eat.

- Being asked if everything is ok. Better to ask how everything is. Slightly different nuance, without the expectation that all is good. Many times I've said yes to the first question, even when it's not ok, just to get them to go away. I'm too scared of drawing attention to myself to complain.

- Crappy music. Why have music in a place full of people talking???? It's illogical! It just means we all have to talk more loudly...

- TV!!!!! If I want to watch TV I'll stay home, thanks. I don't want my kids watching TV during a meal out, either.

- Vermin. I've seen cockroaches in kitchens in Japan. Yuck. To be fair, the little chabane ("brown wings") are everywhere... But also birds. I'm a birder but I don't want birds eating scraps off my lunch table.

- The assumption that alcohol must go with every meal, and thus a disappointingly thin selection of non alcoholic beverages.

- Dirty decor that hasn't been dusted in years. Light fittings, curtain tops or windows, picture frames, even walls. Also in many of the okonomiyaki-ya (okonomiyaki joints) in Japan, everything is covered in a layer of dusty grease from the many table top hot plates frying up food on a daily basis.

- Smoking. Illegal in Australia, thankfully, but was a problem when I visited other countries. Yuck. Who wants cancer with their dinner?

Like Walsie, I don't much like eating out in my home country... When I lived in Japan, I loved eating out in most places (even if I did see cockroaches in a few places), not least because I LOVE the food. The music, if any, is always appropriate to the venue and quiet. It's often dark, and tables are often intimate. The service is absolutely impeccable. The waiters/waitresses often crouch down next to the table to take orders, which sounds weird but isn't...they are listening carefully and putting the customer in a position of importance. The food was generally cheaper and in lots of places you can see the kitchen. I love sitting there watching the food being cooked, or cooking it myself.

The big chains offer poor quality. The smaller independent places are the best choice I agree!

Not only that, you won't get a taste of the local specialties at big chains. It's the small, mom and pop type places that offer a taste of what is home cooking for that region and, that's half the joy of eating out, especially when traveling.

I've always had a hard time eating out, I've always been real peculiar about what places I am willing to eat. I try to avoid ever eating at a place where I am/we're the only people being served because I feel like I am being starred at, I don't really like sitting down and being served by a waiter.

Not only that, you won't get a taste of the local specialties at big chains. It's the small, mom and pop type places that offer a taste of what is home cooking for that region and, that's half the joy of eating out, especially when traveling.
Exactly and the big chains offer no value whatsoever. I once had a girlfriend who was desperate to go to Hard Rock Cafe when we went to Rome and I was like....why!?

New Threads

Top Bottom