• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving Challenges

This isn't an option for everyone (obviously), but smart car technology is very good at preventing a lot of the most common mistakes these days, like hitting people or rear-ending a car.

I think this is a little terrifying, people are now learning that they don't have to pay attention to the road because the car takes care of everything. :fearscream: And I don't trust the new car-technology that much. One little error and the car drives over and through everything.

Today I drove out to the location where my dentist appointment was - I was incredibly nervous

I think the solution to your problem is simply to drive more. The more you drive, the more used to it you get. If you drive just a little now and then, it will most likely continue to be stressing. Maybe try to do it gradually? Drive a short trip today for example and then in a day or two, drive another short trip and then make the trip a little longer and so on. Easing into it.

Last edited:
I think this is a little terrifying, people are now learningt that they don't have to pay attention to the road because the car takes care of everything. :fearscream: And I don't trust the new car-technology that much. One little error and the car drives over and through everything.

I think the solution to your problem is simply to drive more. The more you drive, the more used to it you get. If you drive just a little now and then, it will most likely continue to be stressing. Maybe try to do it gradually? Drive a short trip today for example and then in a day or two, drive another short trip and then make the trip a little longer and so on. Easing into it.

That is what I am doing. Or trying. This place was far-ish from where I lived so I was driving the entire them there. It wasn't a quick 5 minute drive. Navigating small towns kind of bothers me.

That is what I am doing. Or trying. This place was far-ish from where I lived so I was driving the entire them there. It wasn't a quick 5 minute drive. Navigating small towns kind of bothers me.

I have driven a lot, more than average and I'm sure you'll do fine with some more practice. It just feels very stressing now.

I think this is a little terrifying, people are now learning that they don't have to pay attention to the road because the car takes care of everything. :fearscream: And I don't trust the new car-technology that much. One little error and the car drives over and through everything.

Gonna explain a bit. I am not worried about the tech on interstates - interstates are as controlled as it gets.

IMO, we're a long way away from true self-driving in city / smaller road situations. There are just too many "adversarial input" combinations, and your average ML approach is to put all the videos etc and churn it up into one giant model, because breaking down data to semantic components is hard.

Let's take an example. You take training data by making a video of a car driving through a neighborhood. The model will learn "best case" scenarios - here's the stop light, here's the stop sign, etc.

But what if, for whatever reason, someone threw up green sneakers up to a telephone line? How do you know the model won't interpret that as a green light? The answer is - you don't. The way to prevent that is to kind of teach the model semantic information, like, we have roads and they have these street lights that direct traffic, instead of letting the model pick up data entirely on its own. But for reasons I won't get into, this is not a favored approach.

However, the chance of adversarial inputs on interstate highways is very low. What would scare me the most there is rainy conditions - because that generates a ton of reflective surfaces and can confuse the computer. But my car will stop self-driving when it gets rainy, so I assume there are safeguards there.

But smart car tech doesn't have to be "self-driving" in order to be helpful. It will tell me if I'm going too fast or too slow without monitoring the speedometer. It'll stop me from going over a lane. It will brake if a kid jumps out in front of me. It will show the top-down view when parking so I can have confidence I am situated in the middle of a space. Etc. It is not a complete solution, but it does ease a lot of little worries.

Driving in Florida is stressful. People will just suddenly stop in the fast lane for no reason, people will walk out in front of cars, and l have seen two flipped cars since living here. There is an accident on the state road about every week. In fact one time, l posted picture of a truck that drove into the holding pond right across from me. So if you are stressed, l get it. Just drive defensively, that may save your life.

I never managed to get my drivers’ license, paid a fortune in classes but I can’t get my anxiety behind the wheel under control. Too many unpredictable situations on the road. Sorry to hear you’re having a hard time.

That "new tech" has saved me too many times now to even guess at. Each time I back out of my carport blindly facing potential oncoming cross-traffic I can't even see coming. (I'm wedged between multiple SUVs that sit higher and longer in their adjacent parking spaces.)

So as I slowly back out, my car's radar will warn me of oncoming cross-traffic I can't even see! And if I don't hit the brakes instantly, the car will do it for me. I may not have "eyes in the back of my head", but my car sure does!

I was a bit reticent to embrace all the high tech initially, but in nearly six years I have come to respect it. Besides, having a heated steering wheel and seats in the winter is a godsend! And then having my entire music collection on a flash drive that plays through nine Bose speakers....ummmm. I never listen to radio anymore. :cool:

Last edited:
LOL. In those "old days" had I lived where I am I would have never gotten my car out of the carport! ;)

I do have a good example of how these electronic things actually can make things worse sometimes. I have a car with traction control. I think most cars have that now. My driveway is uphill, it's a pretty steep hill. During winter when the road is icey and slippery I always turn the traction control off before I drive up that hill.

Because if I leave it on, I get halfway up and then it stops there. There is no way to drive up that hill with traction control on and studless tires. With the traction control off it's no problem, then I just drive up it. Because I know how to control the car and the gas pedal but I need 100% control over it. Traction control takes away that control.

Last edited:
I do have a good example of how these electronic things actually can make things worse sometimes. I have a car with traction control. I think most cars have that now. My driveway is uphill, it's a pretty steep hill. During winter when the road is icey and slippery I always turn the traction control off before I drive up that hill.

Because if I leave it on, I get halfway up and then it stops there. That happens 10 out of 10 times, I have tested it. There is no way to drive up that hill with traction control on. I need some extra umph and I can only get that by controlling the gas pedal. When it starts spinning and the traction control is on, the wheels stop for a moment, you lose momentum and you can give it some extra gas and it's just hopeless. With the traction control off it's no problem, then I just drive up it. Because I know how to control the car and the gas pedal but I need 100% control over it. So sometimes these fancy electronic things just flat out suck. :)

Traction control is tricky given considerations of inclement weather. Though just the opposite can happen in perfect conditions on very uneven pavement. Like the pace car of the Detroit Grand Prix gunning their engine right off, only to slam into a wall. How embarrassing, given he elected to turn off his traction control.

American Grand Prixs on bad street surfaces....in this respect some are like a suicide derby.

I've got it on my car and with roads as bad as they are here, I've never had any such problems. Though I also try to avoid driving in the snow and ice if and when possible. LOL...but then this ain't Norway either. I can't even imagine living at that latitude in winter. ;)

Last edited:
My car has the annoying habit of putting a little coffee cup icon on the screen if it thinks I am weaving or straying out of my lane. When I first saw it appear, I thought the stupid car was telling me that I had to stop for coffee, and I couldn't figure out why. I don't even drink more than one small cup of coffee every morning, and sometimes I just drink hot tea!;)

I never use the backup camera when I'm in reverse. I always turn my head and look behind me.

New Threads

Top Bottom