• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does Your Family Pick On You?

Galaxy Freeze

Many of us have probably been bullied/picked on in school, etc. But have any of you guys gotten it from your own family members?

I did when I was younger. My sister would make fun of me for organizing my toys instead of playing with them, and her and my parents would laugh when I never understood a joke. Sometimes, my sister would play this game with me where she'd pretend that she was dead. She'd lay down in the hallway screaming, "I'm dead!" Over and over again. The sad part was, since I cannot understand sarcasm and I was very young, I actually believed her. It may seem funny now, but isn't that horrible when you think about it? They'd also make fun of me for talking to myself, pacing, etc (there's a lot more but I can't recall) I certainly have let them know they should feel bad about it, and that I couldn't help being born with Autism. They mostly teased me for my gullibility, I've learned to be less gullible now, but now and then I still misunderstand people.

They've realized it now and regret how they treated me. It's all good, but did it ever happen to you guys as kids? Or is it still happening now?

Funny, I was never teased at school, but at home, oh yes.
It's probably because at public I am well able to keep my distance from people and current gossips and events, but I always wanted honestly be myself with my family. Siblings of course were the worst, I am the only girl and the youngest, and my brothers kind of raised me as parents were busy working. Note: they don't know about my AS even to this day. I did learn lots of good from them, mostly seeing them blew things up, but still. At some point they no more educated me tenderly, but were angry at everything that I did - or didn't do, without directing to more preferable ways. Anything from religion, work, ambitions, hair, eating, free time activities, music, school... There's no moment that I'd not realize how me being a demanding smart ass can hurt people around me, and of course there's no way of telling how much they did let small things go, but it often seemed that they were unable or unwilling to do that.

After they moved from home I got more attention from mother, which of course was bad. And the fact that I understood her mental issues and tried to educate them about her needs probably sounded like I demanded impossible where as mother herself didn't speak of these. So she was nice, and I was uptight or even delusional. Probably they thought that I'd not myself do like I asked them to act. Also my asocial tendencies were cause of many arguments after I turned to my teens. Going to details would make too long post.
Now that mom has died, I have no need to meet my brothers anymore. I'd like to see them and spend good times as we used to, but am not interested in being afraid of my own family so I'm not actively doing any attempts over the situation right now. It's sad, but atm the most important thing for me is that I feel good myself.

^That does sound really mean and teasing from someone that should be trusted person.

Now that I've had time to think this for few hours I began to think how my family members seemed to have total inability to handle my way to sometimes retort if told something ought-to-know in a needlessly important tone. This one time when my father reminded me to buy whipping cream as I was going to bake. They sell whipping cream, coffee cream and cooking creams in here, of which two latter won't whip. Probably because I at those times saw my dad so little and never got used to his rather normal, but stupid humor, I then answered something like "well, how stupid do you think I am, of course I'll take that" with puzzled face. The response to thing like that was just wounded "you don't need to hate me for being helpful, little girl!" And of course after I'd have wanted to forget that and move on, I was reminded the rest of the day about it, and not only by dad.

What did hurt me was that I tried for few decades to be honest thinking that they'd appreciate it even a bit and support me as I am, but got picked and accused based on those things I foolishly had let them know. I think the same applies in here as what does for the rest of society: If everyone else in the family has problems with one, it will be so easy to banish them. Although I remember being really liked at home for some of my skills, it never got me far. I've heard that some people do have warm and supportive families, but I don't know how could one be reached. It can't be solely up to parents, there are so many random factors that can have an effect.

I feel like a lot of what I personally got mad at my family for doing was supposed to be just normal family crap.

Doesn't stop it from bugging the heck out of me though.

Yes, my older sister gave me a horrible time when I was younger and STILL DOES. She always tells me that I'm annoying and weird, and has told me a countless amount of times that she doesn't come home because of me. It's really hurtful, especially because I try really hard to be on her good side but nothing works. My family also said I'd ruin jokes and I was also gullible. My dad would laugh at me when I wouldn't find his sense of humor funny. My dad liked to act drunk when driving and I HATED it. He also says weird jokes to people in public and it embarrasses me and he finds it hilarious how embarrassed I get so he keeps going. My dad also doesn't understand why I don't want to hug or do small talk (he doesn't live with me) and told me he was ashamed to call me his daughter and how I need to "fix myself". Fortunately my stepdad and mom are much more understanding than my sister and dad. Although, they all find me hard to handle sometimes.

Yeah they did. My dad was not a nice person. He got really angry at me for being "slow" and he called me stupid and the r-word in front of other people.
My sister was always nice to me though

When I was younger my dad used to call me names like stupid, and idiot, and told me that I was so dumb, and he would make fun of me terribly. He's crazy by the way. I mean really. He is not a nice person. Sometimes I wonder if he has autism too. But I do remember this one time a cousin called me retarded and stupid blind girl and it just hurt sooo badly. But things with my famiy (my sister nad Mom, and grandparents) are great. They don't do anything that normal families don't do. I mean we still have misunderstandings but they understand things better now too.

Yes, my family made fun of me for my Autistic traits and actions. They still do from time to time.
"Remember When You Used To........Ha Ha Ha.
Yea, real funny.
(Everybody ELSE laughs)

It happens from time to time, but that's family for you. I don't take it near as personally as I used to, and as time goes on I've found myself growing a thicker skin so I really don't obsess over it anymore. Even when it comes to complete strangers or anyone outside of the family circle - I have a tendency to just ignore it now since I've nearly heard it all before, and most of it is never coherent and makes flat out no sense at all so I feel no need to defend myself. Better not to create a situation in the first place rather than start something you can't finish, or so my lesson goes.

I've dished it out as much as I've taken it as well even if I was a tad bit slow to develop that part of my personality, so as far as family goes we're all guilty of it in one way or another, and we're too closely bound together to ever start cutting throats over some friendly harassment.

Last edited:
I suddenly feel a lot luckier to have been born into the family that I was. Yeah, they're all smart-alecks, but they don't discriminate; Everyone makes fun of everyone else out of habit, and everyone knows enough not to take it too personally. I think there's this unspoken mutual understanding that we're all a little screwed up, so we might as well laugh about it.

My eldest brother disliked me. The middle brother & I were close & sometimes spent a lot of time, friends, camping trips & family gatherings together.

Well, since no-one really knew what was "wrong" with me I'd ger critisized for the way I was :( I remember being told: "Why can't you be like other normal kids?" "Why can't you act normal?" "What is wrong with you?" "Why don't you get it?" "You're sick!" (Which hurt the most)

Can't think of how many times my mother would tell me, "I just don't understand you at times!"

Neither did I.

Well, I have a cousin who means well by constantly telling about how self-help guru Wayne Dyer can solve all my problems.

(She doesn't know I have A/S and would probably refute it if I told her.)

my younger but larger brother made my life practically a living hell through my teens after my mom died (hitting me, calling me names, etc), but my parents, grandparents etc have been supportive mostly. Tough my dad was kind of wishy washy dealing with my brother.

They used to pick on me when I was a child, and it wasn't until I was an adult with a child of my own that I finally caught on that I was some kind of scapegoat in my family. I used to be nice to them, buy presents, etc. But over the years I found that they didn't think of me the way that I thought of them, and if I was no more I doubt that they would even care.

As the oldest child,, getting picked on by family really didnt happen at least as far as my siblings go. My dad, i wouldnt classify that as picking on, more like downright abuse but im real close to my mother. Siblings, we get along and are civil to each other but i do get treated, well? Not badly id say, more like im an outsider looking in.

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

I guess to pick on includes bad intentions? I think my family has good intentions. Even if I have been put down by my mother it was in some way trying to help. **** intentions though, results matter.

New Threads

Top Bottom