• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does Sensory Processing Disorder cause me to be itchy?

I was reading about stimming last night (turns out I stim almost constantly, who knew) and was fascinated to learn that it can be connected with Sensory Processing Disorder. After reading about SPD, I was able to recognize a few of the symptoms to a minor extent in myself. While I don't struggle with sensory info, I do think I may have a mild form of SPD nonetheless.

I had been noticing strange itching which has been gradually decreasing, very slowly, over the years. There are no signs of any infection, rash, or any skin discoloration, so I can't fathom why I feel itchy. When I read about SPD, it made me think maybe it is the cause of my itchiness.

Do any of you with SPD or autism feel the same way? Does anyone know if there's any basis for connecting SPD and asymptomatic discomforts such as itching?

Technically itching itself would be considered a symptom, I think, but I am pretty sure I know what you mean.

I have pretty bad SPD, and clothes can be itchy -- not just the tags but also the seams and the flat parts of the cloth itself.....the weave I guess, and/or the fibers.

I also have skin allergies and so some of the things that get put into soaps, deodorant, lotion and laundry detergent make me really itchy, as do some of the chemicals used in processing wool and certain cloth/fiber dyes. But then those things also end up causing a rash, not just itching.

My skin doesn't just itch for no reason, but that's just me. I'm not sure if tactile hypersensitivity might make a person feel itchy for no apparent reason.

Liver disease and immune disorders can cause mystery itching so it might be worth asking your doctor about, if you haven't done so already.

Last edited:
I'm pretty itchy a lot & always have been. I would never know it was associated with something. I always thought it was dry skin or something. I have naturally oily skin. So I don't know what it means...

I was reading about stimming last night (turns out I stim almost constantly, who knew) and was fascinated to learn that it can be connected with Sensory Processing Disorder. After reading about SPD, I was able to recognize a few of the symptoms to a minor extent in myself. While I don't struggle with sensory info, I do think I may have a mild form of SPD nonetheless.

I had been noticing strange itching which has been gradually decreasing, very slowly, over the years. There are no signs of any infection, rash, or any skin discoloration, so I can't fathom why I feel itchy. When I read about SPD, it made me think maybe it is the cause of my itchiness.

Do any of you with SPD or autism feel the same way? Does anyone know if there's any basis for connecting SPD and asymptomatic discomforts such as itching?
It certainly can. I know that I don't wear hats, even though I am bald and it can get cold in the winter. Hats tend to be itchy and very uncomfortable for me. I don't mind a cold head as that is preferable to the uncomfortable feeling of something on top of my head. Similarly, I hate wearing gloves ... they feel restricted and also very uncomfortable.

I get a weird itch that feels itchy under my skin and feels like the beginning of restless leg syndrome. It’s kind of awful.
I use magnesium oil, about 1/4 tsp and rub it on my wrist or inner arm. It takes about 30 minutes to work.
I try to use some every night if I remember because it also helps me sleep.
Low magnesium levels don’t have anything to do with autism as far as I know, just people absorb minerals from their food differently.
A bottle of magnesium gel, also called oil, is about $9.00 and will last about 7 years.

I'm not sure if tactile hypersensitivity might make a person feel itchy for no apparent reason.

Liver disease and immune disorders can cause mystery itching so it might be worth asking your doctor about, if you haven't done so already.
It's not tactile hypersensitivity. I'm not saying I don't have it (I do have it), but it doesn't match my symptoms. The itchiness isn't connected with anything touching the skin.

I'd better check with my doctor for liver disease. As I have abused alcohol a number of times in the past, it is a possibility for me. Fortunately my symptoms don't match what I read online, but I better talk to the doc about it just in case.

It could be an immune disorder I suppose, though it's weird if it doesn't cause a rash. Sounds possible, though.

One more piece of information I suppose is relevant: if I scratch the itch, it goes away just like a normal itch. It then comes back in a few hours. Now this varies a bit depending where it is on my body; some itches are more persistent. I have some on my hands and feet that are very difficult to make go away. On some other parts of my body the itching is very strong but can be scratched to soothe it easily.

Fabric fibres can cause itching - I have a pair of mittens which are very warm, but in the cuffs where's a fibre of some sort that causes contant itching, and try as I might, I can't find this fibre to remove it. Labels and seams cause itching, even my own hairs on my arm can cause itching! Hats are particularly bad - I had to wear a hat for a while to go out when I was having chemotherapy and boy, was that itchy! Also, some shampoos or shower gels cause itchiness.

I have a constant itch on the tip of my right ring finger and I randomly get hives. Itchy patches that don't last long and are gone the next day.

They are mostly related to my state of mind. So I do yoga to clear my thoughts and find that I itch less then.

High levels of stress can lead to Acquired Cortisol Resistance. This is when Cortisol can’t get to the cells and do its healing thing. Leads to hives, eczema and psoriasis if it persists. They itch very much.

I had to stop using anthing with SLS, and my low level itching I wasn’t aware of, went away.

I tend to get itchy dry skin during winter so I use a product called CeraVe lotion which contains ceramides, the building block for skin. I slather it all over my body and my skin drinks it up. It really helps hydrate and sooth itchy skin. Give it a try if you can buy it locally. It is sold at grocery stores and pharmacies, and was recommended by my dermatologist.

I also occasionally get hives, especially if I allow brown paper bags to touch my wrists, like when I carry groceries in brown bags so I favor plastic bags. I think I'm allergic to some chemical in the paper. Nothing helps with the hives except time. I just have to wait it out.

Sounds like we all itch for different reasons - I itch or feel like something is crawling on my skin because of neuropathies. Also pain and hot and other sensations, but I know what it's from - but the crawling sensation I always have to look and make sure something isn't really crawling on me. lol And some areas that are also numb, it itches and it'll feel like I'm trying to scratch through a thick foam.
I also, don't like tags or anything close to my throat and can't wear any kind of jewelry (even gold or silver) it'll cause itching. Pierced ears were a mistake - because I kept wearing earrings anyway, they'd never heal - even years later. Once I stopped wearing earrings I was fine. And I hate coats and gloves - both too restricting. I'd rather drape a blanket around me to go out in the cold than to wear a coat.

I have SPD and do not really itch. Remember, there are many chemicals we are exposed to every day. The chemical companies would love it if every time we had a symptom from their nefarious acts, we blamed it on our autism. How cool for them!

IMO, I would say itching is not SPD unless it's been a very long term and persistent thing which has been ruled by a Dr not to be any kind of reaction to something.

That said, it certainly COULD be if it's related to something you already know and have experienced often. For instance, .......Tags in clothes! I cannot stand them, and I rip them out. For me, bothering sensation, but for you, it may be an itch. So if itching is consistent with how your skin SPD operates, then by all means.

But don't let the chemical co's off the hook :)

I've always been itchy, even when applying lotion. But I also suffer from sensitive hearing, smell, and touch, so I guess itchiness could be a part of SPD as well.

I have SPD and do not really itch. Remember, there are many chemicals we are exposed to every day. The chemical companies would love it if every time we had a symptom from their nefarious acts, we blamed it on our autism. How cool for them!

IMO, I would say itching is not SPD unless it's been a very long term and persistent thing which has been ruled by a Dr not to be any kind of reaction to something.

That said, it certainly COULD be if it's related to something you already know and have experienced often. For instance, .......Tags in clothes! I cannot stand them, and I rip them out. For me, bothering sensation, but for you, it may be an itch. So if itching is consistent with how your skin SPD operates, then by all means.

But don't let the chemical co's off the hook :)
I don't have SPD, but I do have touch sensitivity and sensitive skin, so the light touch of fabrics can cause itchiness and/or discomfort - either it's brushing lightly against the skin and itchy, or digging in and painful. Sharp -edged labels or plasticy bits in clothes hurt, tight elastic around the waste is uncomfortable to the point of being intolerable for me, as are clothes tight around the neck. I also can't stand anything touching my face, it's not so much itchy as "get this thing off me!!!" As for the itchiness caused by shampoos, the chemicals are definitely to blame.

I have a lot of itchiness. It seems like the more I itch, the worse it gets. It offers short term relief but makes in a larger long term problem. I think it is at times a form of stimming. Almost like a drug at times since My skin is so sensitive.

New Threads

Top Bottom