• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does imprecision bug you?

Kit

Does it bug you when people tell you their age but they aren't that age yet or people tell you the time but it's not that time yet?

Like instead of saying it's four fifty, some people will say it's five o clock. Or when people say they are twenty seven lets say but instead they are actually twenty six and their birthday isn't even for another three months.

Feel free to add other things people say they aren't accurate about or when they are rounding other things.

I really hate it when people exaggerate numbers, like 'I've been waiting for hours' when it could be 30 minutes.

Yeah, I find that annoying. I know it's trivial in the end of the day... I don't know why it annoys me really.
EMZ=]

I'm curious if anybody else has experienced this... as child did you ever have the argument over what the actual time was? "My watch is more accurate than yours because it was set to big ben" etc? Or is it just me? :lol:

I remember arguing about the time when I was younger. I think I just did it out of boredom or to get "1 up" on my brother.

lol my Dad always used to do that. I used to set my to the speaking clock thingy when you ring 123.

And, yes it bugs me when people over exaggerate the amount of time they were doing something or how long they were waiting but then under exaggerate the time I was doing something or waiting. Like..in arguments.

Oh yeah, all of these things bug me rotten!! Guess I need to get out more :lol:
I'm extremely pedantic, always have to correct folk if they say something the wrong way. I'm always grabbing the dictionary just to prove I'm right :D Drives my parents crazy. Strange, it's probably one of the reasons I have so many "issues"; I wasn't diagnosed until the age of 29, and before that everyone (especially my parents) used to think I was awkward, argumentative and that I enjoyed causing problems. Hmmm.

I'm extremely pedantic, always have to correct folk if they say something the wrong way. I'm always grabbing the dictionary just to prove I'm right :D Drives my parents crazy. Strange, it's probably one of the reasons I have so many "issues"; I wasn't diagnosed until the age of 29, and before that everyone (especially my parents) used to think I was awkward, argumentative and that I enjoyed causing problems. Hmmm.
I know this might sound delusional... but I think the only reason people think that is because they simply don't know when people are incorrect as often as we do.
People think I'm awkward, but the number of times a day I actually resist the temptation to not correct someone is exponentially larger than the number of times I give into the temptation.
EMZ.

I drove my ex crazy correcting him. He was aspie. He said I always had to be right. It's not that I always had to be, it wasn't my fault he was wrong.

I also got accused of arguing at work and at school. I never understood why until I decided to look the word up in the dictionary and see it's another would for disagreement. So basically correcting people means you don't agree with them. Even fighting can be an argument because they both don't agree about something. My husband and I argue but he sees it as a discussion. We don't argue too much.

I'm curious if anybody else has experienced this... as child did you ever have the argument over what the actual time was? "My watch is more accurate than yours because it was set to big ben" etc? Or is it just me? :lol:
I used to have a radio-controlled watch so it _had_ to be correct. 'Twas awesome ;D.
EMZ=]

I correct people too. I also reach for the dictionary a lot @ CoconutDrum. :p

People always say I 'have to have to last word' or 'always have to be right'. But it's not really like that. It's just, if someone's wrong they should be corrected, and if someone isn't understanding my point the way I meant it then that needs to change. Even if they say they understand, but they don't understand how I meant it because they interpreted it wrong.

Using words imprecisely can result in misunderstanding.

Examples:
"When I'm depressed I need a coca cola"
Translation>
This person finally managed to explain that "depressed" meant, to him,
feeling tired.

"I get vertigo."
Translation>
I experience light headedness/faintness when I don't drink enough liquid.
(hypotonic dehydration)

"Oh, I have low blood sugar, too."
Translation>
I get really hungry sometimes so I eat a candy bar.

Depression isn't merely feeling tired.
Vertigo is very different from faintness.
Being hypoglycemic is more than hunger.

From Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass:

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

I hate when people are vague rather than specific. "Gone for a while" vs. "Gone for 2 hrs", 10 minutes, half an hour, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom