• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone like to write stories ?

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
I like to write short stories and fan fiction but Im also writing a nonfiction book about my autism.

When i try to write big fiction stories i always get stuck although i do like trying them it usually comes out as a short story.

its really frustrating sometimes.

I've always loved writing. When I was young my oldest sister used to have me write stories for her to read. They were usually weird and creepy and she loved them. :) I do better keeping them short, too. I have no idea how to just fill up pages.
And I just remembered that when my grandson was young I'd write stories about my dog, making up adventures, and mail them to him. He used to love that.

I do. Although I find the making up part more fun then the writing part.

I make up stories all the time, but I can never write them. I try and I just don't know where or how to start. I don't have the 'descriptive writing' skills needed to paint a picture in the reader's head. So what I have is a large collection of story plots that will never go anywhere. I am in awe of anyone who can write even moderately well.

I have found that I can write poems. The constraints of rhyme and meter limit my choices enough that I can work with it. I write a lot of light, children's poetry, and mostly just share them with my family. It probably helps that I grew up reading Dr. Suess, Ogden Nash, and others, and I memorize any poem that I like - maybe that's all training for writing poetry myself.

Last edited:
I like to write short stories and fan fiction but Im also writing a nonfiction book about my autism.

When i try to write big fiction stories i always get stuck although i do like trying them it usually comes out as a short story.

its really frustrating sometimes.
The classic advice is right about what you know best !that will be the easiest ,my mother wrote her biography and managed to finish it .

I used to make up superhero stories. I stopped because I didn't like getting into the headspace of the villain in question. I wanted to make my own comics. My stories were good, technically, but lacked character depth.* Go figure.

I still maintain fictional biographies of my [1:6 scale] modeling troupe, though they aren't as fantastic as the former. Being models, however, they still might model fantastic scenes.

An example: Filly has a Disney Classics Cinderella head sculpt (and often gets mistaken for her). But at home, she is a cross between Ellie Mae Clampett & Annie Oakley. Who knew? ;)

*More like DC than Marvel...

Last edited:
Yep. Stories for Tabletop Role Playing Games. Like Dungeons and Dragons but I play Vampire: The Masquerade. A grim view of our world set in a gothic-punk universe. Detailed, grotesque and intimate. None of that 50 Shades of Grey or Twilight stuff there.

I used to but my weakness is dialogue. Just like myself, my characters always went into too much detail ;)

I just stick to writing about what I know now so I don't have to worry about dialogue, 'cos I'm the only one talking :)

Think I'm far too hyper active and OCD to write a complete book. Short stories are better.

Last edited:
I used to, before I got banned on Sheffield Forum I was a regular contributor to their writer's group with various works of fiction including a version of War of the Worlds set in Sheffield.

I used to write and illustrate my own stories quite a bit when I was younger, but I hardly ever do now. Most of my stories were written by hand or typed and printed out on the computer, but I don't have copies so I don't want anything to happen to any of them because I know I'd never be able to rewrite ever again and I'd never get any of them published even if I did, anyway.

I love creating stories, but I'm not very good at writing them. They exist as universes in my head and don't tend to fit well in the constraints of a typical plot. I'm also not good at describing scenes or writing believable dialog, although I'm working on getting better at both of those things. Mostly I just end up with a bunch of exposition that is interesting to me but probably not to anyone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom