• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think that you enjoy music more than NTs?

marraco

Everybody has different musical tastes, so everybody likes some music that other people does not likes as much, or not at all.

But I think that I enjoy my music more than other people. Or that other people cannot get as much pleasure as I get. And I suspect that this goes beyond what I said in the first paragraph.

I tend to like the melody on the music, even the voice melody, without caring at all about the meaning of the words.

Do you feel the same?

I have been told, that the way I listen to music isn't "normal". I sometimes end up with pen and paper, making notes, taking apart composition, doing some basic math regarding time signatures, stuff like that.

My therapist even wrote on file, that I do stuff like that with music, and it even ended up with her noting that I'm a perfectionist with a lot of stuff, hence if a song sounds "wrong" I'd never ever listen to it again. It's not that black and white, but in a way, yes... I cannot deal with having "****** music" forced upon me, lol. I can close my eyes, but closing my ears is a impractical thing to do.

Thus, yeah... I listen to music different than a lot of people I've spoken to. I care for the technical stuff quite a lot, but I should add, that I do play some instruments, so that kinda makes up for having an interest in the technical aspect.

As for "do I enjoy it more"... I don't know if it's more or either enjoying... I like thinking about composition a lot, so that's something. So I do enjoy well thought out music a bit more. Which doesn't mean I don't like to listen to some less "complex" music or styles in general.

Last edited:
Music makes me less anxious when I have to go out. I Love listening to Music. I love Musicals. I tend to love Rock/punk/alternative but I am very picky about my music too. I really am not big fan of country the sounds in it rub me the wrong way most of the time. So I don't know if we enjoy it more or if we just need it more to soothe us because it helps to cover up the sensory things that too bug us in the real world.

I pay attention to the way that music makes me feel, and rarely have any idea what the lyrics are or what they mean. They are often (though not always) irrelevant as to whether or not I like a song. Does anyone else pay attention to the lyrics?

Also, I'm not crazy about things that sound too slick or over-produced. I value musicianship over showmanship.

I pay attention to the way that music makes me feel, and rarely have any idea what the lyrics are or what they mean. They are often (though not always) irrelevant as to whether or not I like a song. Does anyone else pay attention to the lyrics?

Also, I'm not crazy about things that sound too slick or over-produced. I value musicianship over showmanship.

I pay attention to lyrics a lot... thus a lot of music gets binned after 1 listen. I can't really put my finger on what I like, but I rather go on about what I don't like.. silly cliche popsong themes... those don't do it for me. I can't really care who kissed a girl, who is on the phone or what day it is for that matter.

A reason why I do listen to some hiphop and rap is because of the lyrics... if it's funny, chances are I'll listen to it more often, even if the music itself isn't that great.

I love people singing stuff in general, I think it makes people feel good universally, but I really enjoy song in other languages and despite not having a single inkling as to what it is that they are saying, I can get behind it to how the combination of instruments and voice make for a harmonious discord.
I wouldn’t say I enjoy it more than anyone else; I probably just view it in a different light.
I have never nailed myself down to any one genre or style of music and that extends to languages, if a song sounds good it doesn’t matter to me if its in Hebrew, Swahili or Sudanese or even it's just yelled or electronically distorted, it still sounds good whether I understand what they’re saying or not ; ]

Some Examples might be;
The Candy Spooky Theater
Kongar-ol Ondar
Rammstein
t.A.T.u.

I have been told, that the way I listen to music isn't "normal". I sometimes end up with pen and paper, making notes, taking apart composition, doing some basic math regarding time signatures, stuff like that.

My therapist even wrote on file, that I do stuff like that with music, and it even ended up with her noting that I'm a perfectionist with a lot of stuff, hence if a song sounds "wrong" I'd never ever listen to it again. It's not that black and white, but in a way, yes... I cannot deal with having "****** music" forced upon me, lol. I can close my eyes, but closing my ears is a impractical thing to do.

Thus, yeah... I listen to music different than a lot of people I've spoken to. I care for the technical stuff quite a lot, but I should add, that I do play some instruments, so that kinda makes up for having an interest in the technical aspect.

As for "do I enjoy it more"... I don't know if it's more or either enjoying... I like thinking about composition a lot, so that's something. So I do enjoy well thought out music a bit more. Which doesn't mean I don't like to listen to some less "complex" music or styles in general.

Do you play music? Guitar, drums, bass, anything like that?

I'm very passionate about music. Half based on the actual music. Mostly old school thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament and stuff like that. The other half of my passion is the image that the metal is supposed to give off. The image being, "We do this for our fans and the music, NOT the money." I think I've taken so strongly to hardcore metal because A. It provides "misfits" a way to unite and feel a brotherhood and B. The music is amazing. The way it sounds and the way it makes me feel. And no, I don't play any isntrument (except the trumpet haha) so I can critique bands and metal-related current events, but I'm clueless about composition conversations.

Do you play music? Guitar, drums, bass, anything like that?

I went on about in another thread a while ago; But in short; Playing is a big word, but I have an electric guitar around, some synthesizers and know my way around with most sequencers and all to put down percussion/drumtracks and the like. And I did vocals for a few local bands in the past. So it does make a bit of sense why I'm that analytical and technical with music I guess.

I usually have a special playlist mix on whenever I am programming, need to be left alone or driving.

I do love music. Any type, I'm not fussy. I have no particularly favorite genre. I love the way it makes me feel, the lyrics, the music, etc. I do tend to listen to it obsessively I guess. If i take a liking to a particular song I'll play it over and over.
Also, I'm a very visual person. If I'm listening to a song I have to visualise the song in my head, if that makes sense. Create my own short film to go with the song, so to speak. I know that NTs probably don't do that as much. But it's just something I do without thinking. Every song I listen to. I visualise it, create pictures or movies in my head to go with the song.

I've been told I tend to have strange taste in music. Athough no one can tell me how it's unusual, I've heard it more than once. I can get really obsessed with music, although I've never had much of an interest in playing it.

My boyfriend however does and can get really obsessed for days into every technical detail of it. I've also been suprised at how many musicians with AS there are out there- so maybe there's something to it.

I adore music and couldn't live without it! As with everything I go through obsessive patterns with music, I'll get stuck on certain songs or certain bands and then move on to something else.

I remember this one time I listened to the beginning of both kill the king and take no prisoners by megadeath over and over, I can't explain why I just really really love the intros (and now I have take no prisoners playing and I'm doing this :) and feeling all tingly now).

Oh and Scarecrow by Ministry, that was another one I listened to over and over for weeks...well I do that with alot of songs but those 2 by megadeath I don't know what it is but they just make me happy.

As for playing instruments I had piano lessons when I was very young, violin when I was about 12 and clarinet when I was about 13, I suck at playing music but I picked up reading it really quickly and amazed all the music teachers with my ability to read music and my utter failure at playing what I was reading :lol:

I enjoy more different types of music than most of the people I know whether they're NTs or not...
I don't like listening to music all the time thought (like my husband for instance).
I prefer to have music on in the car about 60-70% of the time.
and one thing that probably would differentiate me from NTs but not necessarily: I can listen to one song 20-30 or even more times in one day, just one song :)

Four years ago when I started discovering more about "the real me" (another long story for another time), I listened to nothing but country music. Now I've kind of mixed a little bit of about every genre except metal/screamo in my list.

I tend to like the melody on the music, even the voice melody, without caring at all about the meaning of the words. Do you feel the same?

I absolutely relate to what you say in that I don't pay much attention to the lyrics, but "get off" on the melody and the harmonising. I will listen to such tracks over and over, and I will carry that song around in my head for days and days, until it gets replaced by another one (or I get sick of it from over-listening to it).

I have a theory that music connects us with our eternal soul and all your other selves throughout the universe / multiverse, and that this is why it can have such a profound and uplifting effect on us. This is why you know you will love a song after just a few bars - because you already subconsciously know the song, even if you've never heard it before.

So I don't know if we enjoy it more or if we just need it more to soothe us because it helps to cover up the sensory things that too bug us in the real world.
When I am really anxious/stressing, music is the quickest to calm me. Especially music with a heavy beat (like techno) because I can focus completely on the rhythm and can more easily drown out other things causing sensory overload. Music that my NT friends find too repetitive or upbeat (again, techno), I find the most relaxing.

I love listening to music, and I listen to it a lot, usually 5 or 6 hours a day. I know a couple of people online who also love listening to music, but the vast majority of people aren't really into it. Or they just listen to whatever is on the radio or whatever's popular at the time - to me that shows a distinct lack of interest in music. They have maybe 10 to 20 CDs at home, and some digital music, but nothing near the 14,000 albums that I have :D

As both a performer and a writer of music I am very aware of both the technical and the aesthetic aspects of music.

I am not as critical of live music as I am of recorded music. The artist are human and, anyone can make a small mistake now and then and, that is okay but, if it's recorded, the studio technicians should either point out the mistakes and have the artist re-record the piece or, mix the mistakes out before the final copy of the studio master is made.

I also agree that those that only like what is popular or trending do not really appreciate music at all. I have an extensive collection myself. 1604 albums, CDs or singles on tangible media. 56 studio master albums, most form performers that no longer perform and, 15,000 digital songs on my computer. Many of those are duplicated on my cell phone, iPad or, iPod.

Much of my collection is little known artists, demo tapes (they are called that no matter what media the demo is actually recorded on,) unreleased songs, early work by now or, once famous artists that was either never released or, was only released regionally and, working sessions or just jam session I have been a part of that are not finished songs but, are us working on perfecting or writing a song.

The last are some of the most fun to listen do. Yes they are flawed but, the temporary lyrics we used to get the instrumentals right is often very amusing. Artists are apt to sing about absolutely anything when we only need the sound of the words, not the actual words that will be the final lyrics.
It's funny when you know you want the song to be about a friend that is always there for you but, you're singing about fireflies, butter milk, salty oceans and pixies while you write the piece. LOL

Yes that actually happened on one of my songs. We had been in a chat room, online, for "otherkin" and, the conversation had gotten pretty wild. All of those things had come up in the hour we were in the chat room then, we decided to work on the song and, that's where our brains decided to go with the temporary lyrics. (One of the guys in the band was otherkin. (Otherkin are people that strongly identify as having the soul or, some strong connection to non human, often fantasy beings such as faeries, elves, dragons, werewolves, vampires, etc...)

New Threads

Top Bottom