• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk like an Aspie?

kg4fxg

OK

In the book "Look Me In The Eye" by John Elder Robison it discusses Aspie speech. (Page 285). He did his own audio for the audio book version and his editor said he sounded or had the same speech patterns as Temple Grandin.

In the other thread we discussed the Aspie "Stare". But do you have the Aspie speech? Feel free to post links to sound clips. I have sort of a flat monotone voice myself. What have others said about your speech?

Bill

I tend to be monotone which makes it hard for people to get my jokes, but my Southern accent helps it to seem less harsh. The sound and video don't sync up entirely but this is me the other day, speaking.
I tend to go into "Text Book" mode at times when speaking about my interests and I sound like I'm reading rather than free-speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to be monotone which makes it hard for people to get my jokes, but my Southern accent helps it to seem less harsh. The sound and video don't sync up entirely but this is me the other day, speaking.
I tend to go into "Text Book" mode at times when speaking about my interests and I sound like I'm reading rather than free-speaking.

I really like your voice. ;)

OK

In the book "Look Me In The Eye" by John Elder Robison it discusses Aspie speech. (Page 285). He did his own audio for the audio book version and his editor said he sounded or had the same speech patterns as Temple Grandin.

In the other thread we discussed the Aspie "Stare". But do you have the Aspie speech? Feel free to post links to sound clips. I have sort of a flat monotone voice myself. What have others said about your speech?

Bill

Usually monotone + the aspire stare often.

Vocaroo | Voice message <<< Click that to hear my voice. :shocked:

I don't know if I sound stereotypical or not. :S It depends on the person. All I know is my microphone is not good.

I don't get what you mean by the stare and even after reading the stare thread a long while back... I still don't get it.

I think you have it a bit more than I do, but I know what you mean about accents making it less noticeable.

I feel like for women it tends to be a bit more subtle. I've been told a lot that I've had a strange voice (or unusual considering where I'm from) but not enough for anyone to label it stereotypically autistic. I've been told that I have definite traits of it, like enunciating words- a least more than someone from the Southern U.S. would. I've been told my accent doesn't sound typical. As far as the voice goes, some people think I sound overly level and mellow, while still having sort of 'irregularities' in the sentence flow, if that makes any sense.

I also think because I have a higher, softer (?) voice that it doesn't come off as much.

Then again, it's difficult to judge your own voice.

Thank you NeverEnder =)

I can't tell if my voice is high or low - but I do know that even if I am happy or excited, my "Yay!" will come out like.... "yaaay....." and very flat.
Only inflection is if I'm about to knock someones teeth out.

Not sure what it means, but I've had numerous people say/think I'm from the U.K. after I speak. Now, come on, do I really have such an accent?

It is a compliment, though, as I adore everything British. :cute:

i currently work doing surveys over the phone and over and over again people ask me, "Are you human or a machine?" which drives me out of my mind. if i had a dollar for every time someone asked me this annoying question...
i also can't put emotion in my voice even when i try to sound authoritative, annoyed, angry, enthusiastic, etc. i try, but my voice come out flat. that, or over emotional, fake and goofy, which is worse, so i've stopped trying.

Not sure what it means, but I've had numerous people say/think I'm from the U.K. after I speak. Now, come on, do I really have such an accent?

When I was growing up, I met a few people who thought that I was German or Swedish or something even though I was born in Texas and have no German or Swedish heritage that I'm aware of.

I'm told that I speak with a monotone and have unusual speech patterns (I got sort of an unofficial AS diagnosis from a speech therapist). Most of the time, I don't think I sound that weird, but the way that I end sentences sounds kind of odd to me sometimes.

Last edited:
When I was growing up, I met a few people who thought that I was German or Swedish or something even though I was born in Texas and have no German or Swedish heritage that I'm aware of.

I'm told that I speak with a monotone and have unusual speech patterns (I got sort of an unofficial AS diagnosis from a speech therapist). Most of the time, I don't think I sound that weird, but the way that I end sentences sounds kind of odd to me sometimes.

Here's a video with my voice in it if you'd like to hear a bit of it:

Actually I like that library... from what I've seen they'd probably have a lot more I'd be interested in reading and such. Our library just has a load of dutch translated books and a handful of foreign (original language books).

Never seen any manga nor graphic novels in my library either. Another thing I never really saw in my local library were comfy chairs to read. I never see any people reading in the library. Sounds a lot like my local library has the "borrow book or gtfo"-policy.

But cool video :) I actually liked the narrative you put under the video. Maybe I like the monotonous voice a lot more than those really "lively" and exiting voices. They usually come across as screaming anyway.

Actually I like that library... from what I've seen they'd probably have a lot more I'd be interested in reading and such. Our library just has a load of dutch translated books and a handful of foreign (original language books).

Never seen any manga nor graphic novels in my library either. Another thing I never really saw in my local library were comfy chairs to read. I never see any people reading in the library. Sounds a lot like my local library has the "borrow book or gtfo"-policy.

But cool video :) I actually liked the narrative you put under the video. Maybe I like the monotonous voice a lot more than those really "lively" and exiting voices. They usually come across as screaming anyway.

I despise the "really "lively" and exiting voices"-- Makes me want to punch something.:wacko:

IContainMultitudes, I totally agree with King_Oni, that library is probably the best I ever saw, do they take lodgers? I'd happily move in there.

"Borrow book or GTFO" Policy <--- my library has this same idea, coincidence?

Nearly forgot, I didn?t find your voice to be a monotonous drone at all, in fact it was much like any tour director!

Last edited:
a lot of people can't hear me, I don't understand why? :D they keep saying "we can't hear you, we can't hear you!" :) and then suddenly, "why are you yelling!?" but to me it seems that I speak normally in both cases....weird :)

ok, here 2 videos, 1st I'm reading a text, 2nd some comments and free speech... please tell me if I speak weird :D

I know... some might say, what the hell are you talking about, what blowfish :D that's very typical of me, assuming that people can read my mind or watch every step I make :D crazy :)

I can't record right now, but I do have a very, very monotone voice, I'm told. It's very flat, I can't inject emotion into my voice and I talk very fast. Very fast. And have trouble controlling the volume of my voice. I always speak either too quietly or too loudly.

ethpath13

You have a very beautiful voice, and I might add that you are very beautiful too. Please accept my apologies as I don't mean to be inappropriate but you deserve the comment. Your voice could be considered to be monotone, mine is very monotone. Are you from Illinois, as I detect a slight accent?

I was born and raised in Rockford, Il. Now I live in Georgia. They say that the midwest accent is the most desirable for newscasters (no accent). I guess that means I don't have an accent, sorry no southern accent here. Came here after college to work and I still consider the midwest home.

This is so hard, seeing I am monotone (very little inflection in my voice) it is hard to judge others. I wonder if many Aspie's sing? I don't and don't have the voice for it.

Thanks for sharing and I personally don't think having a slight monotone voice is a bad thing. To me it beats the opposite as coming off full of emotions. Instead I would rather appear as cool and collect and rational not acting on emotions - but I do have them let me tell you.

Thanks
Bill

ethpath13

You have a very beautiful voice, and I might add that you are very beautiful too. Please accept my apologies as I don't mean to be inappropriate but you deserve the comment. Your voice could be considered to be monotone, mine is very monotone. Are you from Illinois, as I detect a slight accent?

I was born and raised in Rockford, Il. Now I live in Georgia. They say that the midwest accent is the most desirable for newscasters (no accent). I guess that means I don't have an accent, sorry no southern accent here. Came here after college to work and I still consider the midwest home.

This is so hard, seeing I am monotone (very little inflection in my voice) it is hard to judge others. I wonder if many Aspie's sing? I don't and don't have the voice for it.

Thanks for sharing and I personally don't think having a slight monotone voice is a bad thing. To me it beats the opposite as coming off full of emotions. Instead I would rather appear as cool and collect and rational not acting on emotions - but I do have them let me tell you.

Thanks
Bill

thanks :) I'm originally from Russia, I moved about... 8-9 years ago. I guess Illinoisan accent rub off on me a little :) and what a coincidence, Rockford, IL, eh!? :) we are in Rockford, we've been here only for a few years but still, where did you grow up, what place? as for monotone voice, yeah, I've heard that before, it seems no matter what I do, I still have it... eh well, it's just a part of who I am, I guess.

I am sure I would not know Rockford that well anymore. I grew up in the country by the TV stations. 2141 Havaview Dr 61103 so you can Google it. Close to Auburn and Meridian roads. Went to Winnebago Schools. My parents moved to Florida about the time I got a job in Atlanta. I work in accounting and I am a CPA. I recall the cold but I like the cold. Had two snowmobiles as a teenager. I did attend Rock Valley College there. Had family in Belvidere and Maringo. I left 1986, went to grad school and ended up here in Atlanta as there are many jobs here. Lots of corporate headquarters here.

Very nice to meet you here and especially nice to meet another from Rockford. Please feel free to PM me about anything or my other posts. Glad you are here.

Bill

I am sure I would not know Rockford that well anymore. I grew up in the country by the TV stations. 2141 Havaview Dr 61103 so you can Google it. Close to Auburn and Meridian roads. Went to Winnebago Schools. My parents moved to Florida about the time I got a job in Atlanta. I work in accounting and I am a CPA. I recall the cold but I like the cold. Had two snowmobiles as a teenager. I did attend Rock Valley College there. Had family in Belvidere and Maringo. I left 1986, went to grad school and ended up here in Atlanta as there are many jobs here. Lots of corporate headquarters here.

Very nice to meet you here and especially nice to meet another from Rockford. Please feel free to PM me about anything or my other posts. Glad you are here.

Bill

Yeah, it's nice to meet a fellow Rockfordian :) even though as soon as my family has the money we're out of here! :) and, I've never been so far west, the farthest I've been is where my older son preschool is (probably not any more though) Lincoln Park Blvd (near S Springfield Ave). We live practically downtown, near the river.

I just have one more question unrelated to this thread :) was Rockford as bad in 80s as it is now or was it a nice place to live back then? To be honest, I wish this town was reborn again, it has so much potential, it's a shame to see it in such a bad shape...

New Threads

Top Bottom