• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have children or a child who has autism and may have got it from you?

oskarandri

Some people have children that have asperger's syndrome/autism and think if that child or children may have got the disorder from them. share your thoughts with this thread.

I very much believe that autism is hereditary. I see strong autistic traits in various members of my immediate family.

But autism is mainly caused by a messed up grey matter or white matter in the brain and it is aquired, i barely think it's hereditary!

ok i]m sorry i sometimes blurt out some random stuff that i haven't really put much thought to. I can be mildly to severely awkward sometimes.

Last edited:
I am a strongly suspected Aspie, and the mother of another one. My daughter, on the advice of her therapist, is undergoing more complete testing on her way to a formal diagnosis. Following her lead, I have decided to request the same of my own mental health professionals.

I have Aspergers and I've been diagnosed after my younger son was diagnosed with ASD. Now I think that my older son might have Aspergers as well. So, yes, I definitely do. :)

Last edited:
My son and my brother are aspies. I am HFA (speech delays). My niece is probably what is known as an autistic cousin, she has had therapy for "processing delays". My nephew developed speech very late and needed a lot of speech therapy, but these days he just seems like a regular kid who spends too much time in front of the computer.

There is a history of late development of speech among males on my maternal grandfather's side of the family.

So I do believe that it is hereditary.

My eldest son has been diagnosed with Aspies, and although i have not received my Aspies diagnosis yet i have been diagnosed with of aspects that fall under the ASD.

My son has always been very advanced, taking like an adult from the moment he could speak, very clever especially at problem solving maths.... but his main issues lie with obsessions and interaction with other children. His main obsession is transformers and can completely disconnect from reallity at times to the point where he belives that Optimus Prime really exists. But now i understand my self a little better it has helped with bringing him back down to the real world.

Interact usually involved physical lashouts on other children when they upset or hurt him. But again i am very regimented with him and manage to keep him in a strickt routine that seems to help him. but time will tell

I can pick out traits in my parents to but tbh i dont talk to them that often as they are to like me and we always fight

I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure my dad could qualify in some ways (we're a lot alike).
I did read most people with AS tend to have at least one parent (or immediate family member) that falls somewhere in the spectrum.

My dad showed symptoms (is gone now and never talked to a psychologist so we will never know for sure), I have it, my son has it, brother has it, his son has it, lots of ADD/ADHD in the family so yeah, I do believe it is hereditary! :arghh:

I'm the only diagnosed aspie in my family of aunts, uncles and grandmothers/fathers. but my family has a very huge case of ADHD/ADD so i have ADD. not ADHD.

I'm the only one in my family who has an official dx of Asperger's, but I suspect there are traits everywhere on my paternal side. I'm not into diagnosing other people so unless they get tested, which is very unlikely, I'm probably not going to know.

I'm the only one in my family who has an official dx of Asperger's, but I suspect there are traits everywhere on my paternal side. I'm not into diagnosing other people so unless they get tested, which is very unlikely, I'm probably not going to know.

It's kind of the same thing with me. Nobody other than me in my family has AS diagnosis that I know of, but I have a few relatives who seem a little bit aspergian. I really doubt that any of them will ever get diagnosed, especially not the one who would probably be greviously offended if you told him that he has a mental "disorder."

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom