• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you get accused of always having to be right?

Kit

My ex thought I always had to be right because he said I always had to argue if I think I'm right. It wasn't that I had to be right, it was because he was ignorant and judgemental so I had to correct him so he wouldn't be.

My husband thinks I always have to be right or it's fifty questions asked or you're wrong. I am just trying to understand their opinion and why it's this way or that way, same as their point of view. That's how I have a social conversation.

I can't think of the times when I have been asked "Do you always have to be right?" It's not that I have to be right, it's me feeding them some information they didn't know about. I am not trying to get them to change their opinion, they can on their own after learning some new stuff. I don't have a problem with people correcting me because I don't know everything. If I am wrong about something, I expect to be corrected.

My ex thought I always had to be right because he said I always had to argue if I think I'm right. It wasn't that I had to be right, it was because he was ignorant and judgemental so I had to correct him so he wouldn't be.

My husband thinks I always have to be right or it's fifty questions asked or you're wrong. I am just trying to understand their opinion and why it's this way or that way, same as their point of view. That's how I have a social conversation.

I can't think of the times when I have been asked "Do you always have to be right?" It's not that I have to be right, it's me feeding them some information they didn't know about. I am not trying to get them to change their opinion, they can on their own after learning some new stuff. I don't have a problem with people correcting me because I don't know everything. If I am wrong about something, I expect to be corrected.

So it's not that you always have to be right, you just can't stand for someone else to be wrong.

I usually get accused while trying to make a point that differs with someone else, other than that not really.

People have also told me I get my points across. I have even been told I'd be a good lawyer and I should be one since I do so good at arguing. I don't mean to argue. It just happens. I'm entitled to speak my mind and entitled to my opinion.

My bf is like that. He's smart, I'm dumb. He's right, I'm wrong. He's good, I'm bad. He's sane, I'm nuts. He says he knows he's not better or smarter or more right than me, but unfortunately, the very nature of thinking you're right about a particular thing is... well, thinking you're right.

Hmm. The key to being good/winning arguments is just to argue logically - people won't be arguing with you, they'll be arguing with logic... which is right... because it's logical. I think I've annoyed Willow a few times in the past with this. :( Sorry Willow. :p <3

As for being right, I don't really know any aspie's that get accused of always being right, since most of the time if they pipe up, people can see that they are right.

People who think they know everything really piss off those of us who actually do!

I enjoy hearing other people's points of view about most things and try to stay open to new ideas.

Every answer I find usually raises about 10 new questions so I'm constantly amazed at how much I

don't know.

I find that being too open minded can be detrimental,If you don't stand for something then you'll

fall for anything.

I sometimes feel like I'm going to throw up when I'm loosing an argument. IMO, it's like Clockwork Orange. These two jerks from my school are the evil psychiatrists. And instead of every time I try to rape or steal, every time I try to argue I feel like I'm going to puke. When it's face to face anyway.
Even sometimes online I feel like I'm going to be sick, but not so much.
It's just, face to face people are so mean.
I've also been told I'd be a good lawyer, or politician. Idk.
EMZ=]

I find it very hard to bite my tongue when someone says something that is blatantly inaccurate. With me anyway I find that it isn't so much a case of "having to be right all the time, although that must be how it seems to others. It is like when I hear someone explaining something wrongly, like "how light is generated" or "how does a microwave work" or "why doesn't Australia relocate its heavy industry from Adelaide to Darwin" or "the king brown snake is the deadliest snake in the world" or "money is backed by gold reserves" or "the female Sydney funnel web spider is deadlier than the male" (to name a few that have landed of have almost landed me in hot water over the years) I either have to pipe up and say "it isn't like that at all". Or clench my teeth, or walk out of the room. Because it is just so hard to sit back and listen to people get stuff wrong and think they are so clever about it.

I LOVE the internet. Unlike most people on this forum I can remember a time when there was no internet. I can remember first hearing about it as the "information superhighway" that would revolutionise the future. Back in the olden days I'd find myself down the library photocopying pages out of an encyclopedia or some reference book. And then people get pissed off about you pointing out the truth to them, for rubbing their noses in it, when THEY were the one who was trying to pass off as fact something that was blatantly wrong.

I never get into arguments about subjective stuff, like "who is the best actor in Hollywood" or whatever. I'm guessing that this is the same for others on the forum? Only stuff that is demonstrably right or wrong.

Maybe non-aspies just know how to pick their battles better, know when to "let things slide".

I sometimes get bothered about how much I know about irrelevent topics, and when someone says something wrong, even if they are right, I HAVE to challenge them, its like a right I have, as an Aspie xD.

I used to come across as a know it all all the time, but I rarely wanted to show off the intelligence, that was left to the others who beat me in a test (finally : P)

I always get accused of this. Almost every time I open my mouth in an argument or a discussion. Most of the time I am simply trying to get my point of view or opinion across, or stating facts. I do not always have to be right, but I do always get accused of it :thumbsdown:

Oh yeah for sure, afterall I have been right on a majority of what i've had to say in the 1st place and gotten into arguments about it with others too.

People who think they know everything really piss off those of us who actually do!
Too true. He acts like he knows better than me when I know better and I feel like he treats me like I'm stupid and doesn't give me the credit I deserve, and takes it for granted that I'm the dumber one, the more ignorant one, whatever.

I think people who think who know everything are arrogant. Same as if they think they are always right.

lol MichaelH. I know the feeling. I always think I'm right. But sometimes I'm not. I hate it when I know I'm wrong though. I never know what to do or say because if I admit to being wrong, the other person is usually like..HA!

TBH, when I want to challenge someone I'm 95% sure I'm right, and very rarely am I wrong.
If I'm not that sure then I won't be so confident and confrontational, and probably say something like, 'I might be wrong, but I thought it was...' or something.
When it's in a debate at something I feel strongly about there's usually no right or wrong answer and if the person pisses me off enough I'll just start to make personal insults at them xD.
EMZ=]

I tend to insult people when they are wrong over facts or can't see the truth.

Me too, League Girl. It's like, they're doing it on purpose. But then I feel bad and apologize when I find that that wasn't the case.

New Threads

Top Bottom