• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you feel the presence of God in your life?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
Do you feel God's power and presence each day?
Or only when u pray?
Do you feel like He loves you for people who believe and you can seek refuge and comfort in Him?

Or do you get it from Jesus?

Do you feel God's power and presence each day?
Or only when u pray?
Do you feel like He loves you for people who believe and you can seek refuge and comfort in Him?

Or do you get it from Jesus?
Wow, usually you don't see too many speaking of God because it can lead to many different opinions and some people can't take anything other than what they themselves think. You open yourself up to people fighting over what someone else believes.... but in answering your questions in my opinion..... I have studied many different denominations and religions; I know my bible and feel I have a grip on interpretations. I actually find other people's interpretations interesting. I have been in many churches and to tell you the truth, I have learned the bible, but never really felt God's presence until I stopped searching in a church for him, it says in the bible that GOD is in NO man-made temple, don't you know YOU are the Temple. He is within you! In the Nag Hammadi texts it said in the book of Thomas.. "Once you know yourself then you will be known, and you will understand that you are a child of the living god." it goes on to say if you do not know yourself then you live in poverty and YOU are the poverty. He lives within. The bible says God reads the heart. Whether you believe in him or not, doesn't matter because he reads the heart. He loves all of creation, he gave us free will so because we take some wrong steps, he doesn't condemn us, just like a child who you know is going to take some wrong steps, that doesn't make you hate your child.
Yes, I believe you can take refuge and comfort in him, not because I think he will make everything better for you just because you believe in him but there is a difference between when you search inside yourself and find God there or just plain sit in a church on Sunday listening to some guy talk. We are actually all one in the sense that we all belong to the same energy source.
So do I feel Gods presence everyday? In some ways but sometimes I think I shut the door on God, or life gets too hard and you are busy thinking of what to do, or in my case I have a lot going on because I have 5 kids and 3 step kids, a mother who is 91 that I take care of plus so much more.... so sometimes it seems that this life just doesn't give me anytime to reflect on God because I am busy rushing around doing everything for everyone else. Doesn't mean that God has left me, God is still within me, just means I haven't acknowledged his presence, the same way if someone was in your house but stayed in their room all day, you know they are there but haven't really seen them or thought much about them.
Are you asking this because you feel this? Or are you asking because you want to feel this?

Interesting questions. You asked four of them. My answer to all four would be the same: No.

If God actually existed then God's behavior in my opinion would be deplorable no differently than any human father acting the same way to his children, would be.

I was taught things like: "You should be thankful to God because "He" is the only reason your heart is still beating; the only reason you're able to take each breath. You're alive only because God wills it to be, every second of your existence. In other words, God created you and gave you life. Be grateful to "Him" because of it. Also, God loves you more than you could ever even know. So...don't question "Him" and don't ask where "He" is. "He's everywhere at all times."

I think of a human father of a large family of children. The father is completely absentee. Actually, to the point that none of his children have even seen him. They've only read about him in books, news, etc and they've only heard stories about their father's accomplishments and his personality. Some of his supporters claim that even though he's absentee, he loves his children more than any other parent could possibly love theirs, because he provides the most very basic needs to his children for them to continue to live (e.g. shelter, clothing, food, etc) and how wonderful a father he is for doing that. Would any absentee human parent be lauded and applauded for fulfilling their obligation and responsibility to provide their children with basic needs for survival and nothing more? Of course not.

Also, Jesus said that he didn't come to earth to abolish the Old Testament, but to uphold it. That means the Old Testament still has worth in "God's eyes". If that's the case, any human who acted in such unpredictable, conflicted, petulant, jealous, hateful, spiteful, manipulative, sadistic, cold hearted and oppressive ways (as God does in the O.T.) would be considered a flat out psycho. Imagine a father telling his grown son to show his love for the father by killing his own completely innocent son (the father's grandson) and then only stopping him at the last second. In human terms and by every measure, that would be considered psychotic.

In some large families there are those kids who are utterly devoted to the father no matter what he does and/or no matter what he doesn't do. Either way, and in every case, the father is regarded as brilliant by those children of his. Then there are those children who do not share the same glowing opinion of the same father (e.g. absentee, etc).

Last edited:
My answer to all of those questions is “no.”

When I was a believer, I occasionally found prayer helpful when I was anxious about something but I receive a similar benefit when I journal. I actually find journaling more helpful. Contemplation and working through my problems were at work. I certainly didn’t feel the presence of God in any way.

I don’t believe in God. If I’m wrong and he exists, I don’t think he loves humans because of the existence of suffering. The reason in the Bible is not good enough for me. In my opinion, a god can not be all-powerful AND loving.

A god could exist, but I’ve not seen compelling evidence for it.

Hi, i think this an awesome question, i think is very important to go to meetings with Christians to feel the presence of God, because he promised that he will be there when we meet, also the bible says we should not stop congregating, almost all experiences i had with God was because i went to church, but, the church needs to be in the correct setting, like a church that believes in being filled with the Holy spirit, and seeks the power of God.

Speaking of other stuff, when you read people saying negative stuff about God, is because they were filled with 'bad propaganda' and they don't know God, it they knew how God treats his people, they wouldn't say that bad stuff, also it doesn't make sense to go against your creator, even less sense when he is good, why people suffer then? etc? maybe because we told God to go away from our lives, and then we complain. God gave people autonomy and free will.

Hi, i think this an awesome question, i think is very important to go to meetings with Christians to feel the presence of God, because he promised that he will be there when we meet, also the bible says we should not stop congregating, almost all experiences i had with God was because i went to church, but, the church needs to be in the correct setting, like a church that believes in being filled with the Holy spirit, and seeks the power of God.

Interestingly there are many other types of non-church situations where people in groups or large numbers can share and experience an overwhelming feeling of goodness. It seems to be a human characteristic. Some examples would be: Sporting events, musical performances, comedy performances, peaceful protests, vigils ,etc for causes such as the environment, racial unity, etc.

Interestingly there are many other types of non-church situations where people in groups or large numbers can share and experience an overwhelming feeling of goodness. It seems to be a human characteristic. Some examples would be: Sporting events, musical performances, comedy performances, peaceful protests, vigils ,etc for causes such as the environment, racial unity, etc.

No, i understand what you say but no its different, hard to explain, though, but lets just say the Spirit of God can touch people, hard to understand unless you lived it yourself.

I tend to be wary of subjective experience. I base my beliefs on evidence and that which can be proven - not propaganda. As a thought experiment, if God's existence was objectively proven, I still would not worship him, her, or it.

Speaking subjectively, I never felt God's presence in church with fellow believers. Sometimes they would get caught up in the emotion of a hymn or moving sermon and interpret that as God's spirit. Having experienced that myself, I'm convinced that it was just emotion - nothing more.

Everyone is entitled to their belief or lack of belief, though,

Last edited:
No, i understand what you say but no its different, hard to explain, though, but lets just say the Spirit of God can touch people, hard to understand unless you lived it yourself.

I respect the fact that you believe that and that you've experienced such a feeling in a positive way for yourself.

You're correct that "feeling God" or whatever other term one might use to describe such things is different than the overwhelming and euphoric feelings a person can feel in other non-church related activities because...they're different situations.

It's worth noting that there are also religious-like or God-like experiences people can experience that are non-church related. Some people can find such experiences through meditation, yoga, prolonged exercise and through the use of certain drugs (psychedelics, etc) to name a few.

My point is the physical, mental and emotional feelings that can result from the experience of group prayer, God, etc are not feelings that are unique to religious experiences.

Last edited:
I have no belief. I like the new Religious Freedom laws because they mean I can now be free from religion. They're not allowed to come knocking on my door and trying to ram that stuff down my throat any more.

Do you feel God's power and presence each day? no
Or only when u pray? not then either
Do you feel like He loves you for people who believe and you can seek refuge and comfort in Him? I reread the questions and then I noted the word feel - and certainly I dont feel like God loves me.

Or do you get it from Jesus? not from Jesus either
Yes I believe - but it is different on the spectrum and more so with alexithymia.

I respect the fact that you believe that and that you've experienced such a feeling in a positive way for yourself.

You're correct that "feeling God" or whatever other term one might use to describe such things is different than the overwhelming and euphoric feelings a person can feel in other non-church related activities because...they're different situations.

It's worth noting that there are also religious-like or God-like experiences people can experience that are non-church related. Some people can find such experiences through meditation, yoga, prolonged exercise and through the use of certain drugs (psychedelics, etc) to name a few.

My point is the physical, mental and emotional feelings that can result from the experience of group prayer, God, etc are not feelings that are unique to religious experiences.
I’ve experienced similar feelings of sublimity while playing a moving piece on the piano and while listening to classical music at a concert. Some people will probably think that that’s not the same thing. The problem is that you can’t measure emotion or subjective experience. You can’t know that other people don’t experience the sublime, for lack of a better word, by means outside of religion or God.

God should prove himself through other means, so people don’t have to rely on that which cannot be proven.

Yes, people are skeptical of this, even other christians..
When God adopts you he gives you his spirit though, but even the bible says people can't understand this unless they are believers and lived it themselves, but for the ones that get in contact with God, there is nothing more awesome than his presence. Its something you would like everyone to experience, meanwhile no one seems to listen. I don't care i will talk about it because for me its the maximum you can get in this life.

God can be autistics best friend, no one listen to you? He listen all the time... hard times and everyone abandoned you? he has your back... you are feeling alone? the Holy spirit is there besides you. to make you company.

Yes, people are skeptical of this, even other christians..
When God adopts you he gives you his spirit though, but even the bible says people can't understand this unless they are believers and lived it themselves, but for the ones that get in contact with God, there is nothing more awesome than his presence. Its something you would like everyone to experience, meanwhile no one seems to listen. I don't care i will talk about it because for me its the maximum you can get in this life.

I hope you can understand that humans can and do experience a wide array of profound and life-changing positive experiences that feel overwhelming, euphoric, blissful, etc that are not church related or "God" related. That's certainly your right to concede "that they do but that it's not the same", but those people can certainly say the same about their own profound non-church related experiences and how a person's church-related experiences are "not the same".

I could easily say something similar about profoundly moving experiences that in my experience are worlds deeper and more meaningful than anything I've ever experienced in prayer, church, etc. One example would be certain sexual experiences with another where the experience goes far beyond the mere physical. When both partners experience a oneness that could be described as "spiritual" to the point of really being indescribable and transcendent. Others who haven't experienced such a profound and meaningful thing simply can't understand the experience when it does happen. I'm also not talking about the mere sexual act in general. I'm referring to a very specific level of shared experience that people can sometimes achieve together.

Last edited:
I hope you can understand that humans can and do experience a wide array of profound and life-changing positive experiences that feel overwhelming, euphoric, blissful, etc that are not church related or "God" related. That's certainly your right to concede that they do but that "it's not the same", but those people can certainly say the same about their own profound non-church related experiences and how a person's church-related experiences are "not the same".

Its different than that, for me and a lot of other christians, but we are going to go on a loop over and over if we keep discussing this stuff i think.

I tend to be wary of subjective experience. I base my beliefs on evidence and that which can be proven - not propaganda. As a thought experiment, if God's existence was objectively proven, I still would not worship him, her, or it.

Speaking subjectively, I never felt God's presence in church with fellow believers. Sometimes they would get caught up in the emotion of a hymn or moving sermon and interpret that as God's spirit. Having experienced that myself, I'm convinced that it was just emotion - nothing more.

Everyone is entitled to their belief or lack of belief, though,

I have actually felt and experienced God’s presence. But, it was outside a church setting. There is no comparison to be made. No amount of drugs or human invention will ever compare.
His word is force, truth, reality, and authority. Doubt does not exist in his presence nor questions. It is.

New Threads

Top Bottom