• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you do the Aspie Stare?

There is of course another element to the "Aspie stare"-this is when one is off in ones own world-in a thought bubble that gives the impression we are staring at someone or something -in fact we are unaware that we are doing it-it takes a while to come back to earth-this can be disconcerting to others especially as they may well come to the mistaken conclusion that we are actually staring at/eyeballing them.
That happens to me all the time. People ask me why I am staring and I don't even realize that I am.

Haha that is kind of what I think about people who are walking around smiling all the time.

I do not trust anyone who always smiles. Who knows what evil lurks in their devious minds? Why are they afraid to show their true feelings? I am not talking about people who are genuinely happy go lucky. You know the ones. People who intentionally smile because they do not want you to know what they are really thinking.

Last edited:
Aspie Stare? I look like this in most of my pictures, but this ones the only one I like Haha, probably because you can see a hint of a smile :)

303105_130346903740485_937033477_n.jpg

Yes, I stare all the time. I just go off into another dimension and end up staring at nothing in particular. And in pictures...uuggh, I avoid cameras at all costs unless I am behind it with my finger on the shutter.

I have noticed that in many of the pictures i take i do seem to have a kinda blank stare. the ones that i force a smile i just look totally goofy. i do quite often stare out into space (i have also noticed my mom does the same thing, though she still seems to have a much more NT brain then me) when i am genuinely happy with the person i am with (which i can only remember one picture like this) i have a smile on my face that doesn't look goofy

Protip: sunglasses. My new security blanket when I walk to high street.

Bahahaha... and people still wonder why I wear shades everytime except for a few occaisions at night. Some people think it's to conceal "drugeyes"... and if I remove them people think that my stare is because of drugs, lol... but actually it's related in a different perspective.

People usually tend to get a bit annoyed if you wear sunglasses, especially inside. But keeping a bit stubborn and steadfast will usually prove out that it's ok, lol. In the 5 months I've been seeing 2 social workers, as well as some sessions with doctors to get my disability benefits assessed, none of them ever saw me without shades... it's like they're grafted to my skull

People are often impossible to please: wear sunglasses & they b!#$h & moan. Go without & they're annoyed by the neutral Aspie expression & start asking, "What's wrong?" "Are you mad at me?" "You look bored & pi$$ed off!" Why?!? Because I'm not contorting my face like a chimpanzee? Makes more sense to wonder what's up with someone with a pathological need to grimace to broadcast a false emotional state of glee to hundreds of passers-by who ought not to be concerned about your inner state (authentic or misrepresented) in the 1st place!

Whether you wear them or not, you'll be accused of hiding something-so you might as well do what you prefer & hand out information pamphlets explaining your neutrality to skittish NTs.

People are often impossible to please: wear sunglasses & they b!#$h & moan. Go without & they're annoyed by the neutral Aspie expression & start asking, "What's wrong?" "Are you mad at me?" "You look bored & pi$$ed off!" Why?!? Because I'm not contorting my face like a chimpanzee? Makes more sense to wonder what's up with someone with a pathological need to grimace to broadcast a false emotional state of glee to hundreds of passers-by who ought not to be concerned about your inner state (authentic or misrepresented) in the 1st place!

Whether you wear them or not, you'll be accused of hiding something-so you might as well do what you prefer & hand out information pamphlets explaining your neutrality to skittish NTs.

I think there are actually cards you can hand to people that say "I have Aspergers" [and has a bit of information]. I'm not sure if I'd ever feel comfortable passing them out, though, to be honest.

But yeah I agree with you a bit, that it can be a bit frustrating finding that "balance", and not weird anyone out when all you want to do is remain neutral and do normal things. I think most people generally don't care as much as you think, but a few hypersensitive comments can stick. I try not to pay too much to people when I'm out- when I feel uncomfortable in stores I try and look busy.

The Aspie stare.... Is that why I hate photos so much?? Smile, I dont know how to do that :unsure:. I am always the one who ruins the photos, I am the one with that blank stare. I am the one who looks like an idiot when they say smile... The only way it works is when they make me laugh (but its hard for me to get the joke, especially when the joke is about me)..

Last edited:
I hate it so much. I know exactly what you are talking about. None of my friends understand, they tell me to just relax... which of course does not work.
I have a question, do you ever have the problem of words in a conversation you're having turning to just..... how do I describe it.... sound? As if you suddenly can't put words together to understand the sentence? I do... and then I have to try to get them to repeat what they said or rephrase or something else equally obnoxious. haha

How many of you guys/gals do the Aspie Stare when having your photograph taken? Does anyone actually smile?

For those who don't know, the Aspie Stare is basically a blank/default expression on your face.

Myself, I always seem to do it and rarely smile in photographs. I have actually forced myself to smile a few times but the result looked goofy. I've noticed that in photographs of me I nearly always do the same pose/expression.

Me, I am actually woeful in photos. It is starting to get a tad embarrassing. I would love to be able to just take a normal photo like everyone else.

i normally do a blank sort of expression but if I feel like it I'll open my mouth wide and raise my eyebrows. Think Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean

pop2.jpg

I haven't been officially diagnosed but I think I have "the stare". I've almost been hit for staring at someone on accident while deep in thought. :( I no longer have that piercing. My nose is pierced though.

I try to avoid having my picture taken whenever I can help it because I hate pictures of myself, but I definitely have the Aspie stare. People at work, both coworkers and customers (usually customers), are always teasing me about how I need to smile.

Yep, I do the Aspie stare and I look awful - like some sort of robot. Therefore, it is a complete
embarressment to me.

Oh and when I do smile, it looks forced.

Yep, I do the Aspie stare and I look awful - like some sort of robot. Therefore, it is a complete
embarressment to me.

Oh and when I do smile, it looks forced.

That was me, for years...I've gotten better since I've been on my antidepressant (Sertraline, generic for Zoloft), but I still have times where my smile looks awfully forced.

a bit off topic but I get told i look at people for too long or too little and if i'm nervous i do little facial things, like licking my lips when i try to remember something, very noticeable ticks if you will but not like tourettes, just little things you do without realising

New Threads

Top Bottom