• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you aspie find yourself having problem even talking and communicating with pets and objects?

MidAgedChineseFemale

It's My Birthday!
I read a few threads here that some of you talk to your pets. I had pets before, but I noticed I didn't talk to them. Do any of you not talk to your pets when you had them? And I don't even talk to my stuffed animals and dolls when I was young. Any of you the same? Just like to know if any of you are this way too.

i talk to animals all the time as i love them dearly and think they can understand me because i can so in my rigid mind-that means they can understand me to.
i talk to objects to,i see all beings as generic objects anyway.

I'm the total opposite I think.
I've always talked to all my pets - even fish when I had them...which probably looked silly to everyone else :p
I find animals easier to understand than people, so even if they can't answer me with words it's cool to observe their reactions. I've been into studying animal behaviour on/off as an interest so that might just be me tho lol ...I find it easier to learn than typical human social cues, and mostly its just nice to talk to creatures without having to deal with a verbal human response I guess.
I also talk to my plants...I just use the excuse that some studies have shown it helps them grow XD !
Funny that you mention objects too - as a kid I would always talk to my plushies and dolls etc an awful lot. I seem to have grown out of that, but I still have stronger emotional attachments to objects than most I think, but I don't talk to them...aside from begging my router to work when the internet is down lol

I talk to pets more easily then I talk to people. I do both, but I instinctively talk to animals while I have to make myself talk to people. As a kid I used to lecture my toys - now I just scold things that have been misplaced, because that's more friendly than scolding my boyfriend for misplacing them :D

I feel like if you people can talk to pets and animals you are not really an aspie, because an aspie is a person lack of social skills. If you can communicate with a pet (or anything), that is technically a very functional skill. I have zero ability talking to anything.

talking doesnt mean you know if what you are saying means anything, we have difficulties with communication as opposed to complete lack of communication
i have cats i rarely:-$ understand them ,
parrots speak- mimic its a need! but its just recording sounds there is no intelligible conversation -they need parrots for that

I read a few threads here that some of you talk to your pets. I had pets before, but I noticed I didn't talk to them. Do any of you not talk to your pets when you had them? And I don't even talk to my stuffed animals and dolls when I was young. Any of you the same? Just like to know if any of you are this way too.

I've never talked to my pets -- excluding giving them commands. I had pets for the sole purpose of companionship; befriending pets is infinitely easier than humans.

I talk to my dogs like they are my friends. They are always easier to talk to and they seem to enjoy the interaction. Dolls and such not so much because they are made of plastic and cotton with fluff inside, it just seems weird to me. I will talk to dolls if I'm upset with something though, I used to like the The Velveteen Rabbit book growing up so that has something from that story.

I talk to all living things. I talk to my cat, I talk to the squirrels, I talk to the birds, I talk to dogs I meet in the street, I talk to bugs, I talk to plants.

With cats (my own cat especially) I talk to them in both human and in my own clumsy version of cat....so we meow at each other, and we chirrup at each other, and I can do the eye blinky thing that translates to basically "nevermind me, it's all cool". If I had a tail I'd try to learn some tail twitches.

I talked to my pets all the time when had them and i talk to others too. I dislike using the "pet voice"

I feel like if you people can talk to pets and animals you are not really an aspie, because an aspie is a person lack of social skills. If you can communicate with a pet (or anything), that is technically a very functional skill. I have zero ability talking to anything.
I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you. Talking to animals has nothing to do with social skills since it is clearly not possible to know what they understand or what they would say back if they could. I have always loved animals and get extremely upset if anyone hurts them. I am far more concerned about animals than people. I am a volunteer at a koala rescue centre and one of our vets is an aspie. She is pretty hopeless with people but loves and is great with animals.
My dogs mean more to me than anyone or anything else!

New Threads

Top Bottom