• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do yall mind all the psych people in here using AC for generic research?

Well, they have to do research somehow, and if they ask us directly, there's almost no chance of them being misled by people who don't understand the issues we have. That's my opinion, anyway.

I don't overly like it, but I think its the lesser of two 'evils'. I would ultimately prefer that they observe and question us directly instead of using inaccurate sources for their research; however uncomfortable or irritating it might be.

Thats cool i guess... I would be more open to it, if they said what exactly the are researching.like school/company/ publication/ and what there objective is. They all seem to leave out what there references and objectives are.

If you put it that way, then yes. I do feel uncomfortable for them doing psychology research and making questions that would be fitting to the usual social norm to understand.

However, if they would've asked politely if they wanted to make a poll on another website, like a Strawpoll. Or something less volatile than seeing a list of 20 questions. Then maybe I would've helped them with their research, instead of them having tons of Q&As to ask that has no meaning what-so-ever. And some Aspies, like myself, don't even know the point of the questions. A few questions just thrown me off, and it just seems intimidating when seeing that many.

The questions have to be somehow directive for an Aspie to understand. In research terms, finding the answers for autism is like finding a needle in a hay-stack, it's very hard to get a word in edge-ways, especially if you are a student trying to study psychology, you need to understand how Aspergers and Autism affects the person, before making questions that we cannot understand.

However, it is in the student's duty to try and find forums to question people about their autism, but be a bit more directive and friendly about the questions. Not some innacurate questions found from their research.

If I was a student studying psychology, I would first find out how it affects them by messaging them personally with friendlier adjectives, and make a normal conversation:

For example:

"Hi, my name is [Name], what is yours?"

Start going into the conversation more friendlier, and find out about their narrow interests. Normally a person with autism/aspergers would normally find a list of questions intimidating. So go with what they say. If they get stuck on what you say, help them, not force them.

Often because we have a socializing problem, we tend to get the wrong end of the stick about most social interaction. Make the question interesting towards their narrow interest. Don't make it a question that the aspie/autistic isn't interested in.

-Listen to the interests
-Get to know what they enjoy
-Then when they feel comfortable, and feel like they want to take part in a social experiment, then you can slowly introduce them with more questions.

But don't make them seem off-putting, make them simple and friendly, and act friendly towards the autistic/aspie person!

The reason we even started the thread on doing research was because a lot of graduate students have thesis to write. When you talk to them they usually tell you or if you click on their survey links it explains in detail what the research is for. I know because I was a grad student myself and had to do a research project to graduate. I don't mind it because I would rather them get their information from us the source directly than from people who don't know anything other than textbooks. Also there are strict protocals for that kind of thing you can't just observe people without telling them if you are doing projects you have to get an ok from from higher up so Brent would have to ok it if that were the case. So most often it is research that is going to be surverys and such or interviews but only with those that have given consent.

Well, they have to do research somehow, and if they ask us directly, there's almost no chance of them being misled by people who don't understand the issues we have. That's my opinion, anyway.

What she said.

We not only answer their questions as best we can, but perhaps we also give them some insight into our thought processes. Which may someday show them that we are people and not merely "disorders".

Thats cool i guess... I would be more open to it, if they said what exactly the are researching.like school/company/ publication/ and what there objective is. They all seem to leave out what there references and objectives are.

They don't tell you the objective because it can affect the accuracy of the responses collected by providing participants a basis for bias, thus altering their natural responses.

They don't tell you the objective because it can affect the accuracy of the responses collected by providing participants a basis for bias, thus altering their natural responses.

Yes indeed. Reminds me of having read somewhere that a psychiatrist said it does no good for some of us Aspies to take autism tests over again given our ability to discern patterns and determine outcomes.

I already know the objective, so I can score honestly on such tests, or score as I choose on any given day to achieve a specific result. I may be compulsive over certain OCD rituals, but not when it comes to taking a test.

Yes indeed. Reminds me of having read somewhere that a psychiatrist said it does no good for some of us Aspies to take autism tests over again given our ability to discern patterns and determine outcomes.

I already know the objective, so I can score honestly on such tests, or score as I choose on any given day to achieve a specific result. I may be compulsive over certain OCD rituals, but not when it comes to taking a test.
Wow. I learn something new every day in here that I have in common with the Aspie persona. I thought my ability to score high on tests I don't actually know the material for was just some random talent, heh!

That being said, I did suspect it had something to do with my pattern recognition skills considering how high they are.

That being said, I did suspect it had something to do with my pattern recognition skills considering how high they are.

Oddly enough, the first time I was really apprised of my pattern recognition skills was the result of taking a left/right brain lateralization test citing I was "80% left-sided" in most of my thought processes. Until then I never really thought about it that much as an actual "skill".

However in my case I can't apply it on just everything I'm tested on...but still it comes in handy.

I think if you want a psychiatrist to be knowledgeable, they have to get information from first hand, and where can they best way to find a large number of aspies for accuracy.

Plus no one is making any one to do it

As others have said in this thread before; You don't have to participate. You can, and for sake of mapping Asperger's and the difficulties it brings, it might be good to participate so first the students and later readers of the research they did might have a better understanding. I mean, the more data gathered, the better the overall picture becomes.

And where better to round up aspies for research than an aspie forum?

I fully understand where you all are coming from though. Perhaps posts in the research section should be a bit more specific as to what and what for (and perhaps even which institute) they're doing research for. Though I don't think it'll take the feeling some of you have away. People will still come in, just present you with some more info and it wouldn't change a whole lot when it comes to research.

I have mixed feelings, but doesnt really bother me that much. Id like to think people who join this site, in pursuit of physcological education, came to get to know us, more than just some survey questions. They have a real opportunity, but I suspect most will just fly in and then out.

I agree with King_Oni on this one. Additionally, I think it would be helpful for those doing the research to set up something on SurveyMonkey or the like, allowing for more anonymity, rather than asking to respond in the thread directly.

No one is obligated to respond, obviously. Of course, I'm kind of insane in that I would offer up myself to practically anything to legitimate scientific research. I've been known to do some strange things to myself just to see what will happen, teehee. [see: this]

I think at the end of the day we have to remember that we are on the internet, and the information we post is freely accessible to anyone really.

I think the fact that researchers are giving us the curtesy of firstly making themselves known, and asking our permission to participate, is encouraging.

At the end of the day, just remember that if you don't want people to be able to identify you online, or know your personal information, then don't post those details. It's basic internet safety, and that goes for any website.

Last year, many of you were kind enough to respond to my request for an interview for my thesis research. I've gotten the pleasure of getting to know a few of you more closely, and I just wanted to thank the members of this community for being so willing to chat with me. I was self-conscious of the fact that it might have seemed like I was trying to put you under a microscope, and I hoped you didn't find me offensive!

I am a communication scholar, and your words prompted me to take a closer look at how we talk about autism, and the effect that this has on perceptions of autism and on the way people on the spectrum understand themselves--the difference between a biomedical understanding of an autism diagnosis and the social understanding of autism as a cultural and an intimate part of a person's identity. Thank you for the inspiration!

I don't really mind because I think the research can be beneficial for people who want to understand autism spectrum disorders or people suffering from them. When I was in high school the psychologist I was seeing asked me if I was okay with him talking to the teachers at my school about recognizing students with autism spectrum disorders and how to teach them more effectively. The school didn't know I had Asperger's or that he was my psychologist. It was just one of several places he wanted to visit to discuss this issue because a large number of school faculty members were unfamiliar with these disorders and he thought they would benefit from some education on the subject. He wouldn't mention me at all. Years later an old teacher of mine and I were talking and I mentioned that I had Asperger's. He immediately started talking about this great lecture from a psychologist on the autism spectrum he was at years ago and how beneficial it was to everyone. I didn't mention that it had been my psychologist but I felt great at how much good it had done.

New Threads

Top Bottom