• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do u like parties and party planning?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
I always do it even sometimes when I do not feel like it.
I like a theme and have games and decorations and nice food that I make sometimes.
Amd music or movies that is centered around the theme and dress up.
And goody bags
It can be stressful for me but I still enjoy it.
Until retirement age Which is hopefully soon ready to retire.
But then I will still probably have some parties
I have not enjoyed work lately

Both yes and no. I very much enjoy planning the party and getting all the supplies and looking at all the details, making sure people have fun. But attending the party and mingling is less fun because I get exhausted too fast. A couple of hours of that and I have to sneak away and take a break. I don't know how many times I have done that, snuk away and found a quiet spot to be alone for a while.

I never minded going to parties, as long as they weren’t too overwhelming -
depending on what happened there, they could be fun, too. I had birthday parties with my friends when I was a child, and they were fun. A few years ago I had a party for my birthday with family members. They said they had a good time (except for my nephew who was bored), but it turned out to be overwhelming for me. It was hard work planning it and carrying things out - the concern about everything going right was in the background the whole time and got in the way of enjoying the company (who mainly talked with each other and not to me anyway). I also felt guilty about how it turned out for my nephew (he was eager to leave when it was over). The difference when I was a child was that my parents took care of most things, so I was able to just relax and have fun with everybody.

These days I have mixed feelings about parties. With my stomach problems, I wouldn’t be able to eat (which was always a fun part about parties). They’re usually more enjoyable if I can be involved in it somehow - like able to join in activities and socialize well.

Attending parties are almost always traumatic for me. Playing games also. I can't do anything that has a competitive element to it. If I have to I will try as hard as possible to loose.

I know I'm weird, but that's just me.

I run away screaming. Not literally, but I definitely do not do parties. Parties rank right with root canals, and getting potassium chloride intravenously.

No, especially if most people in such a party are those I have never met. Nothing but discomfort to be around those I don't even know, even if strictly a matter of leisure. Though alleged "social occasions" revolving around work were often ones I could not avoid. Always hated them.

I did have my one and only dinner party for just three other good friends from work. That was enormously stressful to me. Though all of them had done the same many times, and I felt obligated at one point to reciprocate.

Autistic and introverted....so sue me!

I do not. My daughter asked if we could take over my grandma's/mother's family Christmas party no that mom both have passed. I said sure, but you have to help me plan it and decorate. So that will be fun watching and helping her plan and decorate because I do love watching her do things.

I'd love to have a party where I can control the music. I have a brilliant songlist, of songs I know everyone likes (or most people) and from all decades and genres (except heavy metal/rock).

My wife likes attending and organizing parties, I like being with her. We even planned our wedding together over 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Ironically it might be more beneficial to ask a broader question with this particular audience.

To discuss the disparity of autistic persons who may be extroverts rather than a perceived majority of us who are most likely introverts. Where most of us may not appreciate social occasions of much of any kind.

I'm starting to realize I'm a bit of an oxymoron an extraverted Aspie, always perceived myself as an introvert.
To me it's a fascinating distinction. But having been here long enough to know that it's a very real trait for a small number of autistic people. Though I can't say that I can truly relate to them on that particular issue.

Funny to think that someone here scoffed recently at my suggestion that they adapt to doing things alone based on a change in social circumstances. But it occurred to me that they seemed definitely extroverted, and likely cannot relate to my sense of solitude and isolation as so many others here can.

Though in your own case, personally I'm inclined to think that you have quite the "wingman" (your wife) to navigate you through social occasions that might otherwise spook many of us. I have had times when I wish I had one of those "wingmen" who was both understanding as well as helpful- and clever in real time, in guiding us through such socially awkward moments.

In this respect it sounds like you have "the best of both worlds". ;)

Last edited:
No, I avoid them. Unless I get to be DJ and can make playlists. Sit on the sidelines and play the music. It would need to be rock, though.

My late wife was my "wingman" in the sense that she dragged out to restaurants and such. In last several years, she had decided I was on the spectrum, and to my dismay shared that opinion a bit freely, but with what I have learned in my quest to understand autism in the last year (to see what it is those tests indicated I am), I now strongly suspect she was on the spectrum as well - either better masked than me, or not as strongly affected. She also would not attend a party unless pressured, but in a one to one, or one to few situation she was definitely extroverted, or at least knew how to act like it.

We both converse with the other guests until sports come up then I join the women she is currently planning a get together at my sister's cottage for thanksgiving my family which I really enjoy as my son states is like attending a Mensa convention.

New Threads

Top Bottom