• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do These Seem Like Aspie Traits/Symptoms - Or Am I Just Weird Or Alone ???

Hopeless_Aspie_Guy

Numbered for your convenience of reference are a fair few of my personal traits, I think I’m just hoping these help me (prior to my official diagnosis) to qualify as an aspie, otherwise I’m just weird or totally misunderstood and alone. If you have other deterministic symptoms to ask of me (to help give an answer) then by all means do and I will respond. I obnly have a few months left (having passed preliminary questionnaire stages) before I am diagnosed face to face (as other on here speak of). Thankyou.

1) I often come across as being a very needy/obsessive person (this would especially probably have been the case were it possible for me to have been in a romantic relationship) but is true with the few close remaining friends I still have. So I text more than I’d like a lot of the time or when I was younger knock at friends doors quite a lot.

2) I’m a fairly suspicious, anxious and paranoid person, always feeling that I’m deliberately being left out and going all out detective to try and catch others out (the latter being a secret).

3) I can socialize to a point, but I can’t make or uphold general conversation (it has to be based on something I’m either interested in or familiar with). I worry that I might be talking for too long and always prefer to be the one to close the conversation to try and look more normal. I often find silences awkward as I see it as me failing to be sociable enough to keep the conversation flowing. I’m intimidated by ‘guy talk’ because I don’t really understand how to get involved (nor have I ever felt comfortable about it) and can find it somewhat pressurizing socializing with women.

4) I struggle to joke around with others as I’m afraid I’ll look stupid (or I just think I look stupid anyway, even if they wouldn’t) or take it too far and as a result I end up just standing aloof like a lemon smiling and doing my best to pretend to find their jokes (amongst each other) funny when in reality it takes a lot more to make me laugh.

5) I see life as being like a TV show or a film and am usually only able to create responses or expectations around what I’ve seen (typically where all works out well in the end, in fiction).

6) I’ve never wanted to grow up and have always been intimidated and afraid of many of the things involved with it (even though some I have gradually embraced). I find myself being most comfortable (purely because it’s the easiest for me) thinking and acting like a 16-18yr old.

7) In some ways I’m fairly emotionless (sympathetic but not empathetic at best) and I hate making a big fuss out of things that most other people would scream or shout about. I can’t stand making a scene or unwanted exhibition of myself in public unless its absolutely necessary (which is almost never).

8) I’ve always been an extremely private person when it comes to things like getting undressed etc

9) Though I am good at listening and showing interest in what others say, I generally prefer talking about myself and or being the centre of attention (though I try not to).

10) I feel guilty very easily.

11) For most things I prefer similar routines (with just a bit of variation to make things seem less repetitive).

12) I get fairly irritated by hearing the same song or a store advert loop too many times in the day (to the point where as a sales colleague I often stopped demos running on TV’s or Home cinema systems or would always turn the volume down). This did get me in a bit of trouble on a few occasions.

13) Watching programs religiously and never wanting to miss it or see parts of it before watching the whole episode.

14) Keeping my bedroom private (would never let strangers see it)

15) Unintentionally saying offensive things and sometimes not seeing how they could be offensive

16) Never letting anything go which I hear and want repeated (dog with a bone)

17) Spending lot’s of time alone (even though I’d want to see each of my friends perhaps 1-3 times per week depending on who it was.

18) Keeping lists and various recordings about loads of different things (odd and random to most others)

19) Very inflexible about where certain things can go in my room (i.e furniture)

20) Always want the volume down very low when speaking to others as I can get distracted quite easily.

21) Poor multitasking, preferring to focus on one thing at a time only.

22) Never wanted love (only felt tempted when I was first depressed and lonely)

23) Often want to be the best at anything I really enjoy

24) Sometimes willing but somewhat involuntarily uncomfortable meeting new people

25) Often persistent (easily more than any aspie I know on here) and impatient and very verbose

26) No interest in travelling

27) Always looking to please others and receive praise/recognition to feel better about myself

28) Afraid of displeasing or upsetting others

29) Though much improved since going to work, I can still have a very low level of common sense at times.

You don't sound any weirder than me. :) ;) That is, you sound normal to me, in as much as I am normal! :D

I'm self diagnosed at this point and we sound quite similar. Some of my traits, such as aversion to making new acquaintances, are more pronounced than yours but that doesn't signify much. :herb:

You have a lot in common with me. More with my younger self than with me today but, that's because I've learned a few things in the last 50 years.

Sounds very familiar. The feeling of being left out isn't imaginary it's real as every time I've felt that I was right. Look upon your heightened sense as a gift like 'the sixth sense' ha!

I feel that I've regressed into my ASD as I've got older. Probably because I've kept a mask on for over 20 years. Finally, I'm not bothered revealing the real me as long as it doesn't hurt anybody in the process. I still can't fully let go with my personality lol!

Sounds very familiar. The feeling of being left out isn't imaginary it's real as every time I've felt that I was right. Look upon your heightened sense as a gift like 'the sixth sense' ha!

I feel that I've regressed into my ASD as I've got older. Probably because I've kept a mask on for over 20 years. Finally, I'm not bothered revealing the real me as long as it doesn't hurt anybody in the process. I still can't fully let go with my personality lol!

Likewise I can relate to some of what you've just said as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom