• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do people treat you differently on sight?

Facial expression - speaking without making a sound is the biggest part of making a first impression. It determines how people will respond to you immediately.

It's also a very difficult skill for most of us to learn but, a look can say more in one second that words can in an hour and, if you need to make a good first impression, it's a skill worth learning. It can also get people to back off and leave you alone very quickly without you ever having to speak, or invite them to come across the room to talk to you, if that's what you want.

It's a skill I and others in my line of work have to learn well, and even NTs have to be taught to do it flawlessly and, control it. We all have to learn how to create the right impression using facial expression and body language. That may or may not agree with what we are thinking or feeling but, with practice, it can and, usually does reflect what's going on internally. Being on the spectrum makes it a lot harder to learn. We don't interpret those looks or body language signals the same as NTs and, we may not even notice them unless we make a conscious effort to do so.

That means that using expressions and body language as well as reading them is entirely a conscious effort and, a learned skill for us but, we can learn and, we can do it and, send the right messages. It's never natural to us but, it does help us pass and, help us get along better in the NT world we have to live in.

I don't want to flood this thread with pictures, but looking at photos of any celebrity will give you examples of how a look can say so many different things. I suggest them because celebrities are actually coached and taught to use "silent speech" effectively so, they provide the best examples. I'd be happy to teach you all some of that if you all and the staff here think it's worth a thread flooded with pictures.

Facial expression - speaking without making a sound is the biggest part of making a first impression. It determines how people will respond to you immediately...

I don't want to flood this thread with pictures, but looking at photos of any celebrity will give you examples of how a look can say so many different things. I suggest them because celebrities are actually coached and taught to use "silent speech" effectively so, they provide the best examples. I'd be happy to teach you all some of that if you all and the staff here think it's worth a thread flooded with pictures.

I'm sure many people would be delighted to see
a Show & Tell about facial expression.

Be sure to have some words along with the pictures.
I, for one, can't tell the players with out a score card.
:)

I've seen some sites do it but, they use a different person for each expression and, that makes it harder to learn them. If the Staff approves, I can do a thread and, use the same person for a range of expressions - it's easier to see the differences if it's the same face for all of the expressions. That's something I learned when I was being coached in "silent speech"

it also helps to see both male and female faces because there is a difference. I'll wait and see if the staff wants me to do that and, what section they think it would be best in. I do want it to be an open thread so you all can ask questions, post pictures to see if you have it right (if you want to do that,) post expression you aren't sure about, etc...

Maybe some of my "high brow" training can be useful to everyday people. :)

I used to be treated differently upon hearing my voice. I work in a male-dominated field and when I first started in my position, the people I would speak with on the phone were used to hearing a deep manly voice and not my timid feminine one. Once our clients got used to speaking with women here (I was the first in a long time, but others joined me and now we're about 50/50 men/women) and my own confidence grew people started responding to me better, even the older men who were used to getting their tech advice from another guy. It's been interesting to watch the evolution.

Facial expression - speaking without making a sound is the biggest part of making a first impression. It determines how people will respond to you immediately.

It's also a very difficult skill for most of us to learn but, a look can say more in one second that words can in an hour and, if you need to make a good first impression, it's a skill worth learning. It can also get people to back off and leave you alone very quickly without you ever having to speak, or invite them to come across the room to talk to you, if that's what you want.

It's a skill I and others in my line of work have to learn well, and even NTs have to be taught to do it flawlessly and, control it. We all have to learn how to create the right impression using facial expression and body language. That may or may not agree with what we are thinking or feeling but, with practice, it can and, usually does reflect what's going on internally. Being on the spectrum makes it a lot harder to learn. We don't interpret those looks or body language signals the same as NTs and, we may not even notice them unless we make a conscious effort to do so.

That means that using expressions and body language as well as reading them is entirely a conscious effort and, a learned skill for us but, we can learn and, we can do it and, send the right messages. It's never natural to us but, it does help us pass and, help us get along better in the NT world we have to live in.

Having spent 40 years teaching myself just a little of this stuff, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to learn more Beverly. There are so many things I see people conveying non-verbally - sometimes I can see it, often not.
I'm often intruigued, for example, at how men are supposed maintain a rigid, quite expressionless face to portray confidence and strength, yet still convey a certain amount of feeling.. I watch male actors and musicians push a great deal of expression into their eyes and make lots of eye contact, even if I can't understand what, exactly they mean..
I imagine acting classes and a fair amount of natural ability to be involved - I wonder if there are any ASD focussed training courses along these lines..

I imagine acting classes and a fair amount of natural ability to be involved - I wonder if there are any ASD focussed training courses along these lines..

Good question!

Pardon me for going off track somewhat. I'm reminded of veteran actor Sir Laurence Olivier humorously recounting an experience he had with another actor while filming a scene in the movie "Marathon Man". Where Olivier was to torture Dustin Hoffmann using dentistry tools.

Hofmann, a method actor, insisted on appearing quite haggard to make his character real under the circumstances. So he spent the next 24 hours wide awake in anticipating doing this one scene quite well. Instead it was a disaster. He couldn't remember his lines and he was simply in no shape to work.

Exasperated, Sir Laurence turned to Hoffmann and said, "My boy, why don't you simply ACT?" :D

But in all seriousness, when it comes to emulating NT behavior, sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. :eek:

But in all seriousness, when it comes to emulating NT behavior, sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. :eek:

We are attempting to learn a vastly complex and, essentially, species-specific language in order to attempt to fit in with the natives.. I'm always reminded of Sigourney Weaver in 'Gorillas in the Mist', myself :p

This actually seemed to be the biggest red flag to me. Lack of eye contact is perceived by NTs as either distracted/uncaring or lying/shifty. Neither will get you a good response--especially with authority figures. I'm sure the 'get it over with' attitude is picked up on as well, but they may take it personally, as anger or annoyance.

As for faces, yeah, we are notorious for being less expressive or seeming 'cold' even when we don't feel that way. Yeah, a mirror could help, or maybe photos.
I rarely look at faces, never the eyes. People assumed it was shyness, since my twin brother was NT. I finally was diagnosed aspie by a UC-DAVIS psychiatrist after I had been through the aspie typical disasters in my life

I never had ASD specific coaching but, I don't think you really need that if the coach is not bothered by tons of practice and lots of questions. I asked for a lot of confirmation at first, to be sure I had the right expression.

Yes it can backfire, it does quite often for me. that "I'm friendly, we can chat, I'll be nice." look gets them talking to me alright, and the never shut up but then I started it so I can't be rude and end the conversation too quickly and, somehow three or four more join in before I can get the first one to hush, then the cameras start flashing, more join the chatter and I'm in overload but still looking chatty and friendly because that's where I got stuck when I overloaded - OOPS. Now I've got to override n shutdown and, keep chatting until I can think of an excuse to exit the situation I created without making a arse of myself.

It gets complicate and, takes a lot of practice but, without so much effort knowing the basics of the more subtle expressions and looks could help us all I think.

There's a lot of truth written here. People do definitely make snap judgments, and I'm told that a lack of eye contact makes me look guilty/shifty/nervous/unfriendly!

I have been treated badly by strangers and by people in the workplace. I was bullied all through school. Yes, often these things would happen the moment anyone saw me. I guess I'm weird-looking or something. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom