• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do people consider you oblivious?

AutisticallyInclined

We all have our weaknesses in certain areas. What are your weak points?

But more pertinent to the title- is your demeanor considered competent but a tad asocial? Or are you like me and my dad- super social but WAY oblivious?

Some background knowledge is that my dad has HFA and I seem to somewhat as well. Because we are so . .loquacious(hehe) this means we (well used to) fall under the category of Aspergers, BUT I feel this the aura of competency might be a crucial difference between what makes someone Aspergers and what makes one considered plain old HFA.

So, that's what I'm trying to get at with this thread.

Let the replies commence!

Last edited:
One time my old youth leader told me that sometimes she would look at me and be able to tell that I'm not listening, although in truth I listen better when I'm visually focused away from the person talking. The only times I zoned out were when she started giving one of her long, rambling speeches or got into an off-topic discussion with one random person in the group and I found it boring. All other times, I really was listening, but she didn't think so.

Doesn't that piss you off? When people don't believe you/assume you are lying when you're not? This doesn't happen to me often but when it does- grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumble. > : (

I suspect some of my teachers thought so. They probably took my Aspie stare for daydreaming...:banghead:

I hate my primary school teacher. How could she spend hours with me every day and not notice that something was up with me?

I'm relatively social, but I wish I weren't. I can read people to an extent, but it's all learned manually, not instinctually. I can control whether I pay attention or not, but it is certainly not thanks to the harassment I used to get from my teachers.

I'm not social. Not even a little. I don't like people and I don't like noises, and the people always make noises. I'm easily distracted, too, but also easy to notice that I'm not paying attention.

Although I don't like people, I always try to be kind and "normal", because my mother taught me to be like that, it's mechanical.

Oh, and one of the first times I went to Sunday school in our current church with my mom, this other lady came in and started asking Mom questions about me like I wasn't even there. Because of all my recent horrible social experiences/lost friendships and also the fact that I was completely new to the church, I was too shy to look up at her, so I guess she thought that meant it was okay to talk about me to someone else. Now, though, I kind of wish I'd looked up at her her straight in the eye, just to see her reaction.

I watched this "documentary" about autistic children, and one of the mothers was like, "oh, my six-year-old doesn't hear me and doesn't respond and the world might as well not exist to her," and I was thinking, "well, maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you because you are a ***** to her." That was the woman who had talked about wanting to kill her children while they were sitting right behind her in the car. I would have avoided interactions with her too.

I'm not social at all, when I try to speak I start mixing my words up, volume of my voice is all over, so most of the time I don't say a word when out in public, if someone speaks to me I try to keep it short yes/no is usually what comes out or a brief answer if I can't just say yes or no. I want to be social and have friends but it just doesn't work out, I can't even keep up any kind of social life online, I disappear from the internet for weeks/months at a time because I just don't know what to say or I'm just socially exhausted, I don't know how people interact every day, I find it so incredibly difficult.

Welcome, Kelly aboard the Aspieprise! It's ongoing mission, to explore a strange world that doesn't understand AS, to seek out a place where Aspies and Auties can be themselves, and to boldlu proclaim our neurodiversity and be accepted for who we are! ( cue dramatitic intro music from Star Trek 2009)

New Threads

Top Bottom