• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies annoy each other?

Aspieistj

I was wondering, because I finally left my vet of 20 years because she is so rude and impatient with me. I have even told her I am an Aspie and understand that I might seem odd to NTs. When I finally switched vets I realized that all my criticisms of her really describe a pretty strong Aspie personality. I had though that if I met Another Aspie and "came out" to them that we might actually get along rather well.

I don't know if we annoy each other. My roommate tried tos et me up with an aspie friend of his and I realized the guy was weird. I go to an aspie meetup once a month and I find most of them weird. THen I realize that I probably come off the same way to NT's.

As the old saying goes, "If you meet one person with Autism, you've met ONE person with Autism".

With us all been unique and having different tastes, personalities, interests, priorities, etc. it wouldn't surprise me if we got on each other's nerves every now and then.

I keep envisioning the scene where Adrian Monk and Harold Krenshaw argue over the "proper" arrangement of donuts... ;)

It's a gift... and a curse.

Let's just say I might have a lot more tolerance for someone if I knew they were on the spectrum. And equally hoping they'd think the same for me. ;)

Chemistry is a difficult thing. Just because you are a certain way, it doesn't mean you'll be moretolerant of people who are certain ways. I think you at least have to know that you are that way.

It is so common for people to strongly feel that other people should be a certain way, and they demand that people be that way, or it's the end of the world.

(Insight courtesy of RET)

Some aspies talk too much. I want to talk about me!

Most aspies I know I get along great with though. I have learned to not talk too much, as it can be annoying. I have gotten better at becoming a good listener.

I have to say that I have met some aspies who won't shut up to save the life of them, but I have learned to just listen and when they stop for a minute, put in what I wanted to say. It just goes better. Then I have met aspies who talk too little or they are delayed in answering you back. I think it is all kind of hilarious at times how we are all alike, but yet, so different.

I haven't met many aspies, but the ones I met talked a lot, whereas I am the kind who talks too little or is slow to respond. It isn't annoying when people talk too much, but tiring. The only thing that is going to annoy me is if the person asks the same question over and over again, or repeats themselves, or stims noisily, but if I know they have AS I know that they aren't doing it on purpose to annoy me, and I'd just ask them not to do it anymore and explain that I have AS too and find the talking tiring, or the noise irritating, and that I need quiet.

I think aspies can annoy each other, just as neurotypicals can annoy each other. People can be annoying regardless of whether or not they have autism. That being said, I do think aspies are more understanding of other aspies.

Yes, depending on who it is. Sometimes my aspie brother and I just like to annoy each other for no reason.

Last edited:
Well, I've been on this site for about 2 1/2 years, so I think you can guess my response...heh.

in the army I met all sorts of aspies of which I never saw eye to eye. I found them extremely disappointing and not at all friendly. I recognized this in retrospect shortly before my dx in 2003. I didn't meet any aspies I got along with until I found my present aspie square pegs meetup group in 2011.

People annoy people. I don't like every female, or New Zealander, or lover of the Beatles, or green-eyed person, and I am all those things, why would I like every autistic? There are other aspects to our personalities that are not strictly aspie things, they're people things. That's why we don't all get along.

Yes. There was an aspie I went to high school with who liked to look into people's lunch bags for some reason. I usually wound up running away from him. He got on my nerves so much I decided he must not have aspergers like they said he did--as I said, I was in highschool, and that sort of reasoning still made sense to me. But I have learned better since then.

It happened to me on YouTube, with two female aspie vloggers getting fed up with my comments, and one of them even blocking me. I have since quit YouTube, and have always hated it's implementation. To get an idea of my problem with the implementation, ask a conservative.

New Threads

Top Bottom