• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DNA Sequencing - Alexithymia

Keigan

Restless Mind
V.I.P Member
Has anyone had their DNA sequenced?

I've had my DNA sequenced through 23andme.com, it has turned into the greatest adventure.

Alexithymia is a condition in which an individual might have feeling though might have challenges identifying and expressing those feelings.

Alexithymia affects 10% of the general population. Recent study indicates that up to 50% of individuals with ASD could also be affected by Alexithymia. There are two types of Alexithymia, environmental which can be treated with therapy and pervasive based upon your DNA.

My own is pervasive based upon my DNA, I scored something like 166 on the online test which is categorized as "highly impacted". This is leading to a new understanding as to why I can't hold a romantic relationship, as I can never connect with a female who is an empath.

Wiki for Alexithymia:

Alexithymia - Wikipedia

An online test and forums for Alexithymia:

Online Alexithymia Questionnaire

Rs4963757(C;T)

I've dropped the link to the study as it has disappeared.

Last edited:
I did 23 and Me a long time ago. Not really helpful. But then I went to a teaching hospital and had keryotyping and another sequencing and it DID help. It showed a long duplication of a gene which codes for neurons. 23 and Me is only SNP-ing.

THe geneticists I talked to said the duplication is rare and when I asked htem about 23 nad Me , they said it's not accurate because of the way it's done. I cannot explain it, but something about the way they are looking for stuff as oppposed to seeing what the data shows first. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I'm not a geneticist though I can relate to your statements. Actual Sequencing is significantly expensive, the process used by 23andme barely scratches the surface though it is efficient and inexpensive enough to produce some results and be marketable. The FDA has stated that Sequencing can't be utilized for medical observation or diagnosis unless a doctor is actually meeting with the patient, so that clearly shuts down the health side of the offering.

For myself I've taken my DNA data to a couple of off-shore websites for health type of analysis, an amazing adventure. Through this adventure I've been able to supplement my diet and greatly improve my quality of life and mental focus. Though without true Sequencing and a geneticist, it is up to the individual to explore the meaning.

I'm not a geneticist though I can relate to your statements. Actual Sequencing is significantly expensive, the process used by 23andme barely scratches the surface though it is efficient and inexpensive enough to produce some results and be marketable. The FDA has stated that Sequencing can't be utilized for medical observation or diagnosis unless a doctor is actually meeting with the patient, so that clearly shuts down the health side of the offering.

For myself I've taken my DNA data to a couple of off-shore websites for health type of analysis, an amazing adventure. Through this adventure I've been able to supplement my diet and greatly improve my quality of life and mental focus. Though without true Sequencing and a geneticist, it is up to the individual to explore the meaning.

It is not so expensive anymore, actually. Veritas offers Whole genome Sequencing with genetic counselling. You need a drs script, which sucks, but a grand is not bad at all. I am going to do it if I can find a dr to script it and then save up for it.

How does DNA sequencing relate to Alexithymia?
If you follow the link in the original post it will take you to one of the studies conducted for Alexithymia. It provides validation that there are two types of Alexi; environmental with is frequently caused by trauma and can be overcome through therapy, OR pervasive which is based upon your DNA.

If you follow the link in the original post it will take you to one of the studies conducted for Alexithymia. It provides validation that there are two types of Alexi; environmental with is frequently caused by trauma and can be overcome through therapy, OR pervasive which is based upon your DNA.
The link https://ww5.aievolution.com/hbm1601/files/content/abstracts/40643/3446_Wittfeld.pdf
produces: We're sorry, but the page you are looking for doesn't exist
or are you referring to a different link?

Interesting, I can't find that study on the SNP though there are other studies that identify Genes and SNPs that are contributing towards Alexi.

Has anyone had their DNA sequenced?

Hi, I recently sent off for a kit from 23andme. It arrived a few days ago and included (on their website) a very long optional questionnaire. Included in the questions was "Have you every been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome ?". I thought about this for a long time and finally chose the "I don't know" answer since I want them to inform me about me by looking at my DNA. Being an old guy (I am 68), there wasn't any talk about AS when I was growing up in the 1950s and 60s. By the time I recognized that instead of being simply antisocial, I was more often than not, very confused and frustrated by other people's actions, motives etc. Anyway, I am self diagnosed AS. Other questions were about tinnitus (which I have) and Tourette's Syndrome.
Maybe someday a person will be better able to understand how their behavior relates to what they inherited from their parents. As for now, this website is one of the best things to ever happen to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom