• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Differences between male and female aspies

Sindri

frangipani...frangipani...
I found this, and even though it's not official, it does seem like the majority of these characteristics ring true for me. As someone who is just beginning to learn the intricacies of asd's, I'd be really grateful for your input on the subject.

Is this perhaps why there are fewer diagnosed female aspies? Or do you think the differences are pretty much bollocks?

http://healthinsurancefact.org/2015...th-aspergers-syndrome-non-official-checklist/

There are many differences, although they are related to many of the core attributes that male aspies show.
The real differences are our social skills, females are socialized quite early on and able to mask many of their difficulties. There are fewer diagnosed female aspies because the medical profession is biased towards men, most of the early research studied males. So there is not much in the way of research into females on the spectrum. Very often they are diagnosed with bipolar, schizophrenia, and PD's of all sorts, rarely ASD. Here's another unofficial list that might interest you:

http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6a/wp_a58d4f6a.html

I think a lot of the differences have to with how were raised. I know I was a lot more pressured to be "normal", to be quiet about my feelings, to not argue, etc...people don't recognize intellect in girls as often as they do boys, either. They interpret it as obstinate or stubborn behavior.

I had one therapist just flat out call me "oppositional defiant" because I had trouble with my school work and understanding the benefit of certain types of work. Then again, she also helped guide me towards my HFA diagnosis, as well.

I've been given medication for both anxiety and ADHD, but the latter wasn't much help. I was more pressured into taking this med called "strattera", and I had to repeatedly ask, over the course of a year, to get my parents to let me stop taking it. Every time I complained of a side effect, they would just tell me I was exaggerating or was just being "obstinate".

With other mental health issues, and when talking about autism issues that may be affecting me, people will frequently imply that I'm just a drama queen or I'm outright lying for sympathy/attention. I'll never fully let my parents know the extent of my "issues" because of this. It even makes me sometimes unable to trust my own feelings.

I think doubting the authenticity of women and girls experience adds to the sparse understanding of autistic girls. But that's what from my limited perspective and experience (I'm only 17, after all).

That list is pretty much exactly me. It's funny how much of it just gets chalked up to "lack of common sense" growing up undiagnosed.

I found this, and even though it's not official, it does seem like the majority of these characteristics ring true for me. As someone who is just beginning to learn the intricacies of asd's, I'd be really grateful for your input on the subject.

Is this perhaps why there are fewer diagnosed female aspies? Or do you think the differences are pretty much bollocks?

http://healthinsurancefact.org/2015...th-aspergers-syndrome-non-official-checklist/
As I read through the lists, I found that I identified with a majority of the items. I was diagnosed at 22, looking back at my childhood I can't understand why they (medical/psychological professionals) didn't suspect something sooner. Oh well, I know that I'm an Aspie now and wouldn't change the way I am for anything.

New Threads

Top Bottom