• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Depression

Hi. I recently moved out on my own and am having some difficulties.

One year ago I went away for school and fell into depression, I couldn't get myself up in the mornings to go to class, thus I did poorly, and everything was generally awful. I moved back home for a semester and was treated for depression with medication and counseling, and the semester went fine.

Now I've moved out on my own and am facing the same problems, I am finding myself unable to get up to do anything, let alone go to most classes. I'm falling into the same pattern of hoping that tomorrow I'll magically be able to do it that I fell into last year. I'm still on medication and I'm still going to counseling, and I really don't want to move back home with my parents.

Does anybody have any advice? I don't know what to do, I don't want to move back home, especially because my parents threatened to freak out being on my own didn't work out. I'm really scared I'll fall into the same stasis. Please help.

Make sure your meds are working. You can always change brand. It's hard to get out and meet people when you're feeling bad. Unfortunately that and depression can work together in a downward spiral. Consider joining a support group. Don'tmove in with your parents unless its a last resort. Exercise a lot. Get lots of sunshine and fresh air. Try to think positively. I bought a positive thinking hypnosis CD online. It's very good . You listen to it daily for 3weeks and it reprograms your mind. Let me know how you do. I'd really like to know.

Do you have much of a routine in the mornings at the moment? I've found that quite helpful, I can just go on autopilot mode whilst doing it and the things like brushing my teeth and putting on clothes are done before I really even know it. I don't have much to offer I'm afraid; I have similar worries when I come around to moving out and living on my own and just generally doing adult things, I often get depressed thinking about these things.

The only other thing I can think of that might make it easier is spending a little about of time on your special interest in the morning, set an alarm clock if you need to so you don't get too deep into it and miss important times. This might make you feel a little more energised in the morning. It's something I sort of do and it's how I 'cope'.

Well done for trying to live on your own, it's not an easy thing, I think you're very brave for doing it.

Turmeric helps me a lot, and a fish oil supplement.

I also have a routine in the morning that is very easy and has enjoyable parts, so it's easier to get moving if I know some if it will be good. Then I feel more accomplished once that part of my day is complete, which gives me some momentum for doing other things that are harder to make myself start.

Also, getting the house cleaned up a little more each week...just something extra like decluttering a closet or wiping down the fridge...something I can look at through the week...helps motivate me to accomplish my have-to's, like work and regular chores.

I think I only lasted as long as I did in college because I lived at home. It provided familiarity and some continuity to my routine as I dealt with what, for me, was the unfamiliarity and chaos of college life.

I was fortunate(?!) that my dad died three weeks into my freshman year and I only had my mom around. She was quietly supportive. Having my dad around at this time would have been a real B!#*%.

A couple of years later, when my mom moved out of state, I tried to carry on. Transferred to the state university, and tried to live on my own (with housemates). Eventually, school was crowded out after I found work in the industry of my interests. But while I was attending classes, my life was a high speed train wreck. The only constant was late nights and lots of exercise. The exercise (long bike rides and running) kept my anxiety at bay and allowed me to sleep when I could.

Hi. I recently moved out on my own and am having some difficulties.

One year ago I went away for school and fell into depression, I couldn't get myself up in the mornings to go to class, thus I did poorly, and everything was generally awful. I moved back home for a semester and was treated for depression with medication and counseling, and the semester went fine.

Now I've moved out on my own and am facing the same problems, I am finding myself unable to get up to do anything, let alone go to most classes. I'm falling into the same pattern of hoping that tomorrow I'll magically be able to do it that I fell into last year. I'm still on medication and I'm still going to counseling, and I really don't want to move back home with my parents.

Does anybody have any advice? I don't know what to do, I don't want to move back home, especially because my parents threatened to freak out being on my own didn't work out. I'm really scared I'll fall into the same stasis. Please help.
I don't think your parents should freak out about you being on your own and that it didn't go as well as planned. All though you should know that you had tried your hardest and your best at working to your fullest and was coping on the problems with or without medications youre still going to have complications in life. yes. No one hates you for this. And depression does suck, but it is nobody's fault not yours, its just complicated at times. Talk they will listen so will others. Were here to help.

try an find local support, you have to find the right balance between being comfortable and forcing yourself to be social at least a little (really hard to do). i have left home and have been struggling with similar things but we just have to solider on, hope all goes well.

meditation has helped me a lot, and also if you need someone to talk to who is currently struggling with being a student living away from home just like you and therefor understands a little then feel free to message me.

You have to find reasons to want to get up. You want a degree, you want a good job, you want your favorite beverage or morning snack at a nearby café or the cantina at school, anything, just something you want, a reason to want to get up and go get it. The day gets easier once you get going in the first place.

I learned meditation later in life. I wish I would have know about and practiced it in college, it definitely helps. I am currently on anti-depressants and a mild anti-anxiety med. Those probably would have been helpful, also.

meditation has helped me a lot, and also if you need someone to talk to who is currently struggling with being a student living away from home just like you and therefor understands a little then feel free to message me.
i have tried meditation and even music to calm my nerves but i don't even think that works either

Have you tried to figure what exactly is different between the two situations that is contributing to it? (ie. What was happening at home, that isn't on your own)

But I did find something for me to work on

Colorama Adult Coloring book.
its a shame that meditation doesn't help you, but different strokes for different folks, glad you found something to help.
i also like colouring sometimes i recently bought a lord of the rings and game of thrones colouring book that I've slowly been working through.

New Threads

Top Bottom