• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Depressed Aspie son

Louise

Hi,
I posted on here about a month ago as my son was suicidal & wouldn't engage with treatment.
Just an update to say he's been on Citalopram 20mgs for 24 days now and his mood has lifted some what.
He is now eating proper meals ( he refused food for days) but is having problems with his sleep patterns. Doesn't sleep or sleeps too much & wont get out of bed.
I am still concerned re his will that he left. He divided all his money into envelopes & addressed them to his beneficiaries. I have checked today & these envelopes are all stacked neatly in order & sealed now ( they weren't 2weeks ago) He doesn't know I know about this.
Looking for some advice & reassurance hopefully.

hi louise, does he have someone around him 24/7? if not,he might benefit from a residential/inpatient pysch hospital setting until his medication has fully started working and he is stable.
i would take that as a warning,putting money into envelopes,a will etc it means he will have nothing else to sort out so he has finalized himself,not a good sign although i know with anti depressent meds they take a while to properly work-upto 4-6 weeks and in the first couple of weeks it can help your motivation rise which is a bad thing for very suicidal people as it can give you more motivation to kill yourself.

insomnia is very common with depression as you will know, its even harder now that the sun comes up earlier so that it makes the body clock wake up earlier,but you could ask him if he would want to see about asking the doctor for a short course of vallium or zopiclone for sleeping,none of them help me though the only things that help me for sleep are melatonin and amitriptaline [an oldskool anti depressant also prescribed for insomnia i think].

hi louise, does he have someone around him 24/7? if not,he might benefit from a residential/inpatient pysch hospital setting until his medication has fully started working and he is stable.
i would take that as a warning,putting money into envelopes,a will etc it means he will have nothing else to sort out so he has finalized himself,not a good sign although i know with anti depressent meds they take a while to properly work-upto 4-6 weeks and in the first couple of weeks it can help your motivation rise which is a bad thing for very suicidal people as it can give you more motivation to kill yourself.

insomnia is very common with depression as you will know, its even harder now that the sun comes up earlier so that it makes the body clock wake up earlier,but you could ask him if he would want to see about asking the doctor for a short course of vallium or zopiclone for sleeping,none of them help me though the only things that help me for sleep are melatonin and amitriptaline [an oldskool anti depressant also prescribed for insomnia i think].

insomnia is very common with depression as you will know, its even harder now that the sun comes up earlier so that it makes the body clock wake up earlier,but you could ask him if he would want to see about asking the doctor for a short course of vallium or zopiclone for sleeping,none of them help me though the only things that help me for sleep are melatonin and amitriptaline [an oldskool anti depressant also prescribed for insomnia i think].[/QUOTE
Hi Toothless,
Thanks for your reply
He is at home with me & his step dad. I virtually put my life on hold for the last 5 weeks. Have never left him for long.
He refuses to return to see the GP for maybe different meds or extra meds. I have suggested this.
My husband is a medical doctor so is aware of different meds but it's obviously not ethical for him to become involved unless in a crisis situation.

Got to say Louise IM still very close to suicidal but i think panic and anxiety to do with pain stop me
citalopram helps depression it doesnt block it out altogether
i think he needs a psychologist as autism makes perceiving emotions a battle every day

I had CBT and someone who does'nt avoid talking about feelings is rare and strange but it makes your anxiety less painful- but i have panic disorder and no support -so IM a severe case its common to create a will when you are in crisis
its like anorexia its a guaranteed level of control
my mam was a volunteer at the samaritans and people called them regularly -
men who were made redundant and couldn't talk to their wives it helped but of course they are neurotypical

Hi,
I posted on here about a month ago as my son was suicidal & wouldn't engage with treatment.
Just an update to say he's been on Citalopram 20mgs for 24 days now and his mood has lifted some what.
He is now eating proper meals ( he refused food for days) but is having problems with his sleep patterns. Doesn't sleep or sleeps too much & wont get out of bed.
I am still concerned re his will that he left. He divided all his money into envelopes & addressed them to his beneficiaries. I have checked today & these envelopes are all stacked neatly in order & sealed now ( they weren't 2weeks ago) He doesn't know I know about this.

I read your from posts a month ago too.

It would be good to know more to give us greater insight how to help further. What are his favorite interests and activities that could keep him busier and happier or make him less depressed? What things is he good at? Does he do anything he enjoys daily besides being in bed?

I know you suggested or stated last month he could use a trusted friend or dating partner. Do you think that specifically is the source of his depression, or is it for feeling different, or is he feeling some huge pressure and he feels he cannot live up to those expectations?

How does he act in heart-to-heart encouraging talks with family? Do talks help him? Does he share specifically how he feels often to you? How does he feel when he gets out to do activities with family? Does this help? Would trying new things or new activities as a family together help?

Or do you sense he just wants to be more independent, grow and to meet others? Does he have college or job aspirations? Or would that be hard because of his condition? Has he had depression issues and urgent hospital care needs for most of his teen years too? Or is this a more recent issue?

Sorry for asking many questions, instead of giving answers, as it would be irresponsible to give much advice without learning more. In one way, I see progress with the drugs, but it still looks like a very unpredictable situation, so at any time you feel he needs 24/7 hospital care until he is stabilized yes do that, if you are worried still about him doing himself harm.

I agree that he may be best safely monitored in hospital until his medication can be regulated. I'm sorry your son, and you, are going trough this. I hope he responds positively to the medication and professional help.

Hi,
Hi,
Looking for some advice & reassurance hopefully.[heQUOTE]

stupid phone hello Louise i emailed the samaritans voluntary org like a crisis line but you can also email or walk in if you're in the UK
their email address is [email protected]
they answered after a few hours
they get emails from the US regularly trained to help any suicidal /depressed person ,noone would know your son's email address

Have you thought about blackout curtains or a rollerblind to block light- he'll sleep for longer

Hi,
The gp can prescribe 40mg of citalopram
or valium but only 2mg for about a week its addictive

I'd ask his prescriber to give him a higher dose. He sounds like he's on the edge. Watch him very closely, if you think he's going to do something don't hesitate to call for an ambulance.

New Threads

Top Bottom