• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Defeating aspergers is possible ! Don't give up !

I don't accept the spectrum idea, so no, it's not on the autism spectrum. The belief that it is a spectrum may be useful to some extent, for various reasons, but I don't think it furthers our understanding of either autism or Asperger's Syndrome, the main issue as I see it being its amorphous nature. At what point is one no longer considered to be "on the spectrum"? Is it when one has all of the other symptoms of autism, with the exception of just one or two (ex. 'stimming', sensory sensitivity)? Is everyone on the spectrum to some extent, as some like to claim? If a concept is not clearly defined, then how can one ever say anything truthful about it?
One either has autism or not. One either has Asperger's Syndrome, or one does not. Life really is black and white, but too many of us complicate things unnecessarily.

Biology seldom conforms to our desire for clean delineation. Even concepts such as "species" are more constructs than they are precise reflections of reality. One could always define specific thresholds at which one either does or does not fit the criteria for Asperger's (indeed, they have) but such delimiters will always be, to an extent, arbitrary - a neat and ordered model to make sense of the chaotic and messy universe.

I started making more friends the moment I stopped trying to "defeat" Aspergers. Trying to be somebody else was the worse thing I could possibly have done. People know that I do things which can appear a little out of place, but they tell me if I have done something really silly and I apologise. I have also made a point of showing people my talents when I first meet them so they don't think I'm stupid. I also have a friend in my workplace who knows I have Aspergers. This helps because I can be reassured that if I am really getting on somebody's nerves, he will tell me and I can do something about it.
Best comment of the month!

How does one define an "Asperger's success story"? The very fact that we are alive and existing in a society sometimes foreign to us is a level of success. After 60 years, My success is that I have learned that most people (both NT and HFA) have nothing valuable to add to my life.

I think your idea was good, but you took it too far. aspergers/hfa shouldn't be something you need to defeat. It's not a boss battle or a war. It's more like a walk in the dark. Understanding and coming to accept that your differences are okay is more important than a cure. If you are on the spectrum, you cannot seperate who you are as a person from your condition. Focus on changing your perspective and adapting the world to the way you think, rather than molding yourself to the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom