• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Daughter got her diagnosis

Karin

I'm staying with my 11 yr old daughter in the Children's Psychiatric Ward because she can't make herself walk (she's afraid her feet will run away with her as she has experienced in the past) and she also is not able to talk for the past three months (normal speech before that).

I met with the psychologist after their 4 week conference and the diagnosis at this point is PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified aka mild autism). It did not come as a chock as I have been looking into Aspergers for some weeks but the fit was both there and not there.

As her quirks (the less extreme ones :)) are a lot like mine I might fit the same label but that part doesn't matter much to me anymore. Except perhaps for her to relate to.

Challenges are still there but now there is an explanation - and most likely four out of four people mildly autistic in our family.

I'm glad you have a diagnosis. How is her prognosis? Do they think she will regain her ability to walk and speak?

Yes, they expect her to be able to speak and walk again. But no one can say anything about when as it is purely psychosomatic.

For now we have been offered an extension of her stay at the hospital since she responds really well to being here. She even hugged one of her friends yesterday, the first person she's been able to touch for the past three months. She is getting ready to have her hair washed, also for the first time since her sensory system took a tumble, but we have been warned that getting back to walking and talking can take time.

A stay here is usually 8-10 weeks but we'll be here for the summer. I never thought I would feel this way about losing out on our usual 6 weeks vacation but I'm relieved. She needs to be a neutral place to get back to her body. Our home and family dynamics is a lot for her to deal with at the moment. Now I just need to find a summer camp for her brother. I sleep with her at the ward so she's not alone.

Sounds like all is going to be well. My only concern is the hospital food. Sneak her some palatable stuff so she doesn't starve in there.

She was eating almost nothing towards the end at home. They do pretty well with the food at the ward and she's now eating away and putting weight back on. You never know... :)

Awesome! Maybe some of those recipes are even doable at home, to support transition? Is that even helpful, or just too tricky?

The food is above average for hospitals and is served at a dinner table like homemade food but it is still pre-made. I take note of what she eats, though, and try to copy at home. We are terribly picky eaters all of us but I have seen before with the children that if the context is different, they'll suddenly eat something new.

Glad to hear she is eating, that is a good sign. I probably should have been put somewhere a couple times around that age, but was never diagnosed back then, nor was AS a diagnosis back then. I am a very picky eater as well. Dodger

It's been a long time since I've visited the forum at all, too long. Time for an update on my daughter.

Summer was tough. The ward was closed for six days for moving into newly renovated rooms. So I had to find somewhere for us to be as Ida didn't want to have to stay in our home for that long.

A good two weeks looked like this: Home for the weekend (always hard for her), daddy and brother leaving for vacation on Saturday morning (more sadness). Monday morning we went back to the ward to stay only for one night before they closed. Back home for one night (having promised we wouldn't be there until after dinner at McD), off to Malmö for four nights in a hotel (just across the waters from us and still a foreign country), back home for one night and then back to the renovated ward.

What can I say? By Sunday I was calling the ward to hear if we could come in a day early because Ida was close to breaking. It was too much for her with all the changes and new impressions. At the same time I don't know what else I could have done as she didn't want to stay at our home and thought staying in hotel in our hometown would be boring. I was grateful I had read up a lot on autism and was able to some degree to arrange our stay i Malmö to suit her. But there was only so many hours I could stand sitting in the hotel playing UNO.

They weren't manned with enough staff to let her back at the ward on Sunday so we ended up leaving Malmö at 11 am and spend the afternoon at the local movie theater. Back at the ward all the kids were climbing up the walls because the whole place was new. There were meltdowns and anxiety attacks galore. Our new room was huge - stark white and half-empty. So I had to get it looking nice and homey as fast as possible.

On top of all of that, Ida told me right before we left for Sweden that she was seeing beings that stared at her with evil grins and told her to hurt herself. It had apparently been going on for a week. She told me someone (invisible) had entered her room one day saying, "I am a person and there are more like me. We are going to hurt you, often, and that's just how it is."

She had repeatedly been hitting herself with minor things when alone in the room but saw the beings in all places, also in Malmö. If she wasn't feeling too low and there was only one, she could make it disappear if she or someone else crossed it's space. So she would sometimes jump to a spot on the big bed, jump up and down and then wipe her back several times.

It got worse when we got back and the things she reported got worse. I was able to one night to show her description of what she experienced to one of the staff. Apparently Ida was copying the psychosis of her dear friend at the ward.

The conclusion by now is that she is _not_ psychotic. I know from myself how I can create images with my mind that are perfectly vivid. And Ida doesn't even want to go home for the weekend. She knows she is at the ward because she can't walk or talk and that is slowly improving - which would mean going home for good. Or get sick...

In general she's in great spirit with her friends at the ward or the staff and ready to have a meltdown when I take over in the evening. So it's been very difficult to figure out how she actually feels and what I am supposed to do when she wants to kick doors rather than go to bed.

Along with this, she has been practicing speaking and walking with two other children at the ward - without the adults being involved. Her language is growing almost daily. I am now called 'momo' rather than just a sound. She uses letter sounds for spelling. Can say O M G and every once in a while a real word slips in.

Today I was told the staff is getting ready to get her to use crutches rather than the wheel chair. Not that she needs them but for safety. Her fear of walking is that she will run away in panic and not be able to control it. Then this evening she completely blew my mind. We're home for the weekend (still hard for her) and she suddenly stood up on a pillow and showed me how to hold her, like we were dancing. Then we 'danced' to the bathroom. This is the first time I saw her standing since April 4.

She told me she had practiced with her friend (the psychotic girl) and I guess she was now ready to show me. No chance of her doing it outside yet but who cares!

Obviously it is most likely a total coincidence, but a few days ago we received the most thoughtful gift from Epicurean Pariah. He had created a pendant for both Ida and me and the package was both delayed and lost. But here we are, walking and with pendants. Truly amazing!

Yesterday I actually posted something on Facebook other than my images. I decided to share it here.

For the sentimentalists... Heaven knows it's not easy being 11yr Ida's mom these days. We have been living in the children's psychiatric ward since May 4. She is slowly regaining her ability to talk and daring to walk after total shutdown due to autism but there is a long way still and being as perceptive as she is, she sees every worry in my mind and pain in my body. Saturday she offered me some of her candy. She wrote to me she often feels it's such a chore taking care of her that people should get paid to do it. What to say? I couldn't deny the strain as she can see it clearly. Instead I told her what is also the truth. Every single day I am SO grateful that I am better to able take care of her than my parents were taking care me. I know how badly they would have liked to do it well and how it hurt them, knowing they couldn't. This is my chance to do it better for my own daughter and I wouldn't trade the task for anything. Ida looked at me. Then hugged me...

So glad to hear she is improving, sounds like you are taking excellent care of her and I hope she continues to make progress <3

I have been off this forum for a long time. Mostly when I have a bit a free time, I've needed to not deal with autism.

My daughter, Ida, is now 12 yrs old. We were in the children's hospital for 5 months and was released in early October. By then she could walk and talk again. But even now she is still not back to having a normal day.

It was hard for her to return to the house. We started out sleeping in the living room because we had had to do that on the weekends home from the hospital. She missed the hospital like crazy and while her mood improved for a while, she began regressing again after Christmas.

Since mid-October the local district has lined up a contact person for her, spending 2.5 hrs with her pretty much daily. Their guess is it is a combination of spending three days at grandmas over Christmas (cut down from the usual five days), us moving out of the living room to a room on the top of the house (she still can't sleep alone or in her room), having overnight guests for New Year and starting school for children with special needs in January.

We had to stop the school after three weeks even though she was with her contact and only there for 1.5 hr a day. Her diagnosis is still PDD-NOS and only that. I feel that having learned how to be firm in holding on to routines has stopped her from regressing as far as she did the first time. But it is still super stressful and seems endless. I know in time, though, she'll be okay.

The hospital is back with their outgoing team and tomorrow they are meeting with her local contacts so they can exchange notes. Hopefully this exchange (finally) will make the local people better able to make the right decisions for her. I feel at a bit of a loss myself, in part because I am so worn down after nearly 1.5 yr of emergency. But I balance and will continue to do so.

New Threads

Top Bottom